Rabbit or Kitten?

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
However, I've never seen spurs on teeth on a well bred bunny. It's always rescues that - IMO - really need to be put down.
They can be both. Mine are adopted but they were from a breeder to their first home, not just any old rabbits off the street. My girl had spurs when I had her looked at after I adopted them. It was diet related and hopefully they are good now she's on more fibrous food. It's a potential problem in them because of how they are and when people get them they don't realize all of the things you need to know. With a cat, there's not so much to know (or not know, and get wrong - I got a whole heap of stuff from some people who'd bought a bunny and it died after a change in diet, they didn't know but were too upset about it to replace their bunny.) There's just more to know and more to do than with a cat. Cat - move in, feed it, give it somewhere to sleep, have it desexed, don't let it get run over. Bunny - learn about food, learn about teeth, learn about stasis, learn about broken backs. learn about myxomatosis, learn about how to keep them in their run and not burrow to China, blah blah. It's ok if you know what's involved and make the decision, but there's a lot to find out.

Oh, and if you don't like bunnies, really don't go there, even if the kitten doesn't pan out. They are enough to look after when you like them. The kids will get tired of it, you won't want the workload and they'll end up looking for new digs.

EDIT: and ferrets smell. Ferret owners say they don't, but they do.

Last edited:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
The only pet I wouldn't own with birds is a ferret. I'm surprised do many people think cats and birds can't coexist. I'm so confident of my cats I wouldn't hesitate to leave them out together with me out if the room. My cats pay zero attention to the birds.

On the other hand I wouldn't leave my standard poodle with the birds even short term, not because she would attack them, but because she's like a colt and might squish them.

I know that people own both cats and birds and coexist fine. However it is also true that the cat's predatory instinct is very strong and can you truly trust it? Cats are so smart and such great acrobats that they often rule the roost and I feel that it would be nerve wracking for the birds to have such predator around (even if the cat doesn't seem interested). I'm not against anyone owning them, you just have to be very vigilant.

I'm surprised people here aren't more educated about cats. I guess because in the wild they are natural predators, so bird people think they can't be kept together. Not all cats predatory instinct is strong. You're lumping all cats into the same category the way some people lump all dogs and all parrots. You can't compare a macaw to a budgie and you can't compare a pitbull to a pomeranian. Some dogs have a high predatory instinct and are hunters, others are couch potatoes. Cats are the same way. Believe it or not cats also can be trained. We had our grey for 13 years and he wasn't caged. We also had 2 cats and they were lose with the bird. We went to work each day with them home alone and I felt 100% comfortable with the bird being loose and the cats being free in the room with him. We trained those cats (2 of them) from the time we got them at the pound at 9 weeks old. Personally, I wouldn't keep bengals, savannahs, etc with birds because they aren't that far removed from the wild, but a pound kitty with the right temperment and one that I've trained, absolutely would and do.

I also have 5 dogs. Out of the 5 dogs I would leave them all alone with the birds out except the standard poodle. Standards are bred to be hunters, that's part of their nature.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Some dogs have a high predatory instinct and are hunters, others are couch potatoes. Cats are the same way.
For sure. My boy is a great big slug, and he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. He sleeps on my bed a lot and I have my galah out with me with him there, sleeping (or awake, not a lot of difference where he's concerned :D). He's too lazy to care, he's just a great big, laid-back sook.

Another thing that people might not know about cats is that they are taught how to hunt by their mother. If you get a kitten whose mother isn't a hunter, your cat may not hunt either, it won't have learnt it. Some cats are real murderers, others aren't.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Oh my, i leave the thread for one day and now have to catch up on it! Lol.

We found we can get great quality cat food, bed, toys, litter and tray etc all for under $50. :D Going to see him today. Hubby is warming up to the idea of a black cat. He seemed interested after i told him its a tom.. He has a thing for black tom cats, probably coz he grew up with a fat snuggly one lol.

Here's a photo of the little guy (not my husband, clearly ;P )

http://www.adoptapet.com.au/photos//lostfound/313380.jpg

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Yeah, they're always finding ways to scrape our money away -_- *pats* BUT they don't have it here yet so i is happy. ^^

Probably around 2 this afternoon.. And no idea! A friend demands we call him Greg.. Loki and i refuse haha.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Mmm. Well went and had a look, and actually, I'm a lot more interested in his brother.

http://www.adoptapet.com.au/photos//lostfound/313393.jpg

The brother kept following my daughter around and trying to play with her, and as soon as you started patting him he erupts with purrs! Very playful and adorable :) I've decided on him, BUT if course the hubby wants to think about it fir another day. So the RSPCA is holding him fir us until we decide. Come onnnnn Loki! You KNOW you like him!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Now, he looks like Batman, call him Bruce. :D

Do you know that 2 cats are better than one? Get Dmitri AND Bruce.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
He's a cutie! Hope it works out for you. I like the way strudel thinks. That's how we ended up with 2. The pound was having a 2 for 1 day.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Haha, actually the staff there suggested taking a pair, but quite honestly i just want the one. Lol i like the idea of Bruce :p

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I went for one, came back with 2. Go on, don't split up the family! Do you know what's good about having multiple cats? If one isn't in the mood for a cuddle, you just move onto the next one..... :D

Most Reactions