Rainbow-pls.tell me what you think...

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
As some of you know a month ago I came home with a red suffusion lovebird.

I named her Rainbow, she is spectacular looking.

Unfortunately I did not realize at the time I purchased her often red suffusion is a direct result of liver or kidney problems.

a vet visit would confirm or deny any health issues.

I have been taking pictures of Rainbow to compare if her colouring changes.

the first picture is the first day I got her (Oct 31)

the second picture was taken yesterday.

both pictures were taken in bright lighting conditions.

To me she looks less intense(red) and some of the red has now disappeared from her back feathers with more of a natural colour coming thru.:D

She has not yet eaten any good food, ie: leafy greens, veggies, bean etc....
so her diet is strictly Higgins conure sunburst seed, but I am supplementing her with liquid vitamins,2% of her daily intake of flax seed(which she devours)kelp, and twin peaks herb salad.

can you see a difference??

Attachments

• IMG_4824.jpg
    IMG_4824.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 5,083
Last edited:

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
She does look a little less washed out. think you maybe on to something here!

She ia a cool "Tie-Dye"looking bird! I wouldhave to make her a VW bus cage with a peace sign on it! lol

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I LOVE THAT NAME, I just might change it to TIE DIE....ha ha.

I thought so too, Steve,but thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me, I'm wondering if the previous owner was feeding her red colourant food

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yes, I see less red!!! I wonder about the food colorant, too, now. :eek: Would that have an effect on lovebirds??? I know it does with the canaries.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Yes, I see less red!!! I wonder about the food colorant, too, now. :eek: Would that have an effect on lovebirds??? I know it does with the canaries.

I am only familiar with it being used on canaries, but hey, people can be weird about things.
I have no idea what the owner was giving her.:rolleyes:

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Honestly Crimson she is the most beautiful lovebird. I do think there is less red on the 2nd pic. I have lovebirds too and I find them very stubborn when it comes to getting fresh vegies into them. As far as pellets go I have had great success with nutri-berries and avi-cakes with them - I just put some in their millet holder and they go to town on it, but my Fischers also eat Harrisons and Roudybush. I think they are a good way to help move a seed fiend towards pellets.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Honestly Crimson she is the most beautiful lovebird. I do think there is less red on the 2nd pic. I have lovebirds too and I find them very stubborn when it comes to getting fresh vegies into them. As far as pellets go I have had great success with nutri-berries and avi-cakes with them - I just put some in their millet holder and they go to town on it, but my Fischers also eat Harrisons and Roudybush. I think they are a good way to help move a seed fiend towards pellets.

me to Steve, I have nutri-berries here, but in all honesty, she won't touch them... all my birds are veggie,bean, leafy green, grain lovers....except for her.
all she needs to do is spend a bit more time hanging out with them while they eating and she too will become a converted veggie eater....and I can't wait.;)

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
i see less red myself. she's gorgeous all the same!

what about Rainbow Tie-Die? nothing weird about a double name :p

i'd like to add, comparing both photos, she looks much more settled and comfortable in her new home!

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
i see less red myself. she's gorgeous all the same!

what about Rainbow Tie-Die? nothing weird about a double name :p

i'd like to add, comparing both photos, she looks much more settled and comfortable in her new home!

yesssss! Rainbow Tie-die it is....

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Can we say Tie Dye & not Tie Die?? Don't want some poor person coming on hear new to english thinking that Die is the same for Dye or worse - we're tying birds to death, haha.

She is very pretty! And she looks a bit more pink and less red now ;) didn't know that red food colorant could affect coloring in canaries.. Interesting. You learn something new every day.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
ha ha, I caught that as well in one of the other posts....die/dye....

I prefer Dye, I've seen too much of the other 'die' lately so you are spot on!

rosie88

Jun 10, 2013
India
Parrots
Naru - Fischer Lovebird
yeah she looks fine now..and rainbow is really very colorful, joyful name which really suits her..don't worry she will try veggie soon..loads of love to her..GOD BLESS HER AND U..:)

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
She is beautiful Beth! I love the Tie Dye name, too! You will have her eating veggies before you know it!

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Wait, what does the red mean? Please explain this...wow she looks like a mini Sun (on steroids) :)

Last edited:

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Hard to compare beautiful if you ask me!!

As far as diet, I'm trying to introduce fresh food to a Budgie I rescued by mixing raw carrots/raw kale/raw butternut squash that I put in blender so it's cut very fine along with cooked corn and adding it to his seeds (veggies and seeds are mixed together). He eats the seeds but they are coated with the raw veggies so he's eating some veggies too!! :) HA!

To slowly introduce this, he get the mix in the morning and straight seeds/pellets (canary sized so they are the size of seeds hehe trying to fool him) in the evening.

Last edited:
OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Wait, what does the red mean? Please explain this...wow she looks like a mini Sun (on steroids) :)

red means potentially she could have liver or kidney issues...only a vet visit would confirm or deny this....given she's been here a month and there is less red, and it's less intense I am inclined to think I'm doing something right:rolleyes:

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
Definitely less red! But of course she's going to be healthier....she has a mummy who loves her very much! ;) :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
She is gorgeous, and I think she looks healthier now:) I am also wondering about the colour food, when I got my canaries they said if I was going to feed colour food to keep away from the finches as that would change their colouring as well. I don't use the colour food, but was good to know:)

Most Reactions