Rate the cage setup!

srdalyssa

Oct 8, 2017
Denver, CO
Parrots
Kobe the Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure
Hello all!

I will be getting a conure soon and would like some input on my cage setup. I wanted to get the biggest one I could, and it certainly is. It had to be taken apart to get it in the room! :p The toy on the top is one I made from streamers and toilet paper rolls per a Youtube video I saw.
It looks a little bare despite the toys and perches I've included so far. Should I include more or wait until we bring him/her home? What should I include?

I don't specify the type of conure because I'm not entirely sure quite yet, and I'm open to all! :D

Please share your cages and homemade toy ideas as well! Thanks!

Attachments

• cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 224
  • insidecage.jpg
    insidecage.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 205
  • closecage.jpg
    closecage.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 230

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
First, thank-you, for including, in my mind, the most important feature of a great cage; The Full height front door!

Since, you do not know what types of toys your Parrot will love and which will just sit, I would not get overly concerned that the cage is a bit bare at the moment.

Things to think about:

- An area that has hanging toys on the outside on two corners and on the inside away from the corner to provide a safe place to hide /sleep (kind of like a Fort).

- I believe that Conures are builders and love to have 'stuff' to create things. Nose around as to what kinds material they like and have some on hand.

- Small toys (commonly referred to as 'Foot Toys'). Near all Parrot love small toys they can carry around, as much as the larger hanging toys.

- At this point, target pieces and parts for building toys until you know what your Parrot likes and be prepared to reconstruct based on that reality.

- Just a Note, some Huts develop strings quickly and can cause any number of problems from catching legs in or being eaten and clogging their Crop. Keep a very close eye on the development of strings and either keep them cut or remove the hut.

Enjoy!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Honestly,

He may not like the tent, mine didn't, don't worry just remove it. Conures like things that make noise and a few hanging mirrors with bells or balls with bells in them. The mirrors he will like at first but then eventually learn it's just reflection, but they still like to check themselves out.

I see one food or water cup above the other and one off to the left, put them together at the same level, you will want to give your conure pellets and they seem to like dunking their pellets in water for about a second before eating. I mean one can be aside as a treat cup. Look at the top playstand, that's about perfect.

I like the perch placement with none above the other, but I'd add more perches, so he can move between them without having to crawl around the bars of the cage. More of a ladder fashion.

I don't see a cuttlebone, some conures use them some don't...I've never read anything definitive, but I'd put in 3 bucks and get a small one in case he's interested. mine just climbs on his usually.

Some of the perches look to be nail perches that's good. and I like the stainless steel bowls, easier to clean than plastic and can take more abuse.

I'd look for the abacus type toys with beads and the basketball toy, much like the...looks like a punching bag toy, with the mirror, conures till they figure out it's a reflection like to play against themselves. If your conure doesn't spend time at the bottom of the cage I'd move that one near a favorite perch.

My and your conure may be different, but this is what I've learned from my owner on interior decorating.

OP
srdalyssa

srdalyssa

Oct 8, 2017
Denver, CO
Parrots
Honestly,

He may not like the tent, mine didn't, don't worry just remove it. Conures like things that make noise and a few hanging mirrors with bells or balls with bells in them. The mirrors he will like at first but then eventually learn it's just reflection, but they still like to check themselves out.

I see one food or water cup above the other and one off to the left, put them together at the same level, you will want to give your conure pellets and they seem to like dunking their pellets in water for about a second before eating. I mean one can be aside as a treat cup. Look at the top playstand, that's about perfect.

I like the perch placement with none above the other, but I'd add more perches, so he can move between them without having to crawl around the bars of the cage. More of a ladder fashion.

I don't see a cuttlebone, some conures use them some don't...I've never read anything definitive, but I'd put in 3 bucks and get a small one in case he's interested. mine just climbs on his usually.

Some of the perches look to be nail perches that's good. and I like the stainless steel bowls, easier to clean than plastic and can take more abuse.

I'd look for the abacus type toys with beads and the basketball toy, much like the...looks like a punching bag toy, with the mirror, conures till they figure out it's a reflection like to play against themselves. If your conure doesn't spend time at the bottom of the cage I'd move that one near a favorite perch.

My and your conure may be different, but this is what I've learned from my owner on interior decorating.

Thank you for the advice! I read that they like the huts, so I will see. I have also read that mirrors can cause birds to be cage aggressive or think of it as a mate. I wanted to avoid that while still including toys like the punching bag toy. I had another similar one, but it arrived broken. I'll probably recycle the pieces into something fun.
There is a cuttlebone up against the wall near the left. It didn't show in the picture. We'll see if he likes it.

I'm definitely feeding pellets, but I love that all of the bowls attach directly to a door that I can open from the outside...I'm thinking of using an external water-feeder type thing in order to keep him from bathing or making soup. Any experience with those?
I'll add more perches asap! Some cages look really crowded and I was afraid of cluttering it too much, but it looks like I can stand to make things a bit easier.

Thanks again! :grey:

OP
srdalyssa

srdalyssa

Oct 8, 2017
Denver, CO
Parrots
First, thank-you, for including, in my mind, the most important feature of a great cage; The Full height front door!

Since, you do not know what types of toys your Parrot will love and which will just sit, I would not get overly concerned that the cage is a bit bare at the moment.

Things to think about:

- An area that has hanging toys on the outside on two corners and on the inside away from the corner to provide a safe place to hide /sleep (kind of like a Fort).

- I believe that Conures are builders and love to have 'stuff' to create things. Nose around as to what kinds material they like and have some on hand.

- Small toys (commonly referred to as 'Foot Toys'). Near all Parrot love small toys they can carry around, as much as the larger hanging toys.

- At this point, target pieces and parts for building toys until you know what your Parrot likes and be prepared to reconstruct based on that reality.

- Just a Note, some Huts develop strings quickly and can cause any number of problems from catching legs in or being eaten and clogging their Crop. Keep a very close eye on the development of strings and either keep them cut or remove the hut.

Enjoy!

I will keep an eye on the hut! I'm concerned with strings being an issue on homemade toys as well, so I'll pay attention to that. The front door was definitely a must! :)
I've heard baby toys make good foot toys. I might have to make a trip to the dollar store soon to see what I can find.
Also, the "fort" idea is brilliant and I am most definitely going to start looking for the best toys to make one.

Thank you!! :rainbow1:

Most Reactions

Latest posts