Razor claws!!!!!

ostromk45

Oct 8, 2010
Parrots
Eclectus parrot female
Hello I have a female Eclectus parrot. Holding her is literly a pain she can barely touch your arm with her claws and draws blood. I have searched and searched for a cheap and but good trimming perch can any one help? Is there something homemade I can make that would be safe for her? Thank you for your time in advance!

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
a concrete or grit perch will delay the innevitable, but you will probably have to trim your bird's claws eventually. If you do not know how, it's best to take the bird to a vet or an experienced bird groomer as doing it incorrectly could cause bleeding if the claw is trimmed too short. Its also important to use the right kind of clippers for a birds nails. You can ask the person who does it to teach you how if you want to learn.

as for delaying the time between trims with perches, I find the concrete ones like the ones in this link: Perches for Parrots from The Laughing Parrot ! The best selection including Booda Comfy Cable perches, Cement and Sandy Pedicure Perches, Table Top Perches and more! work best.

remember you should not use grit or concete perches exclusivley as the tough texture can hurt your bird's feet if that's the only thing they ever sit on. Also, perch diameter is important, if the perch is too big or too small your bird's nails won't make contact with the gritty surface because of the curvature of their toes.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Jawz has given you good instructions. Your bird should have regular grooming. That is part of guardianship. Looking for somethng cheap I can understand but please remember you get what you pay for. Be very careful with any rough perches. As mentined they can ruin a birds feet and that is something you do not want to do.

OP
ostromk45

ostromk45

Oct 8, 2010
Parrots
Eclectus parrot female
Ok I guess i am coming across the wrong way. I know what my responsability is as her owner and I do get her groomed but I think $5 and $6 dollars is to high for a perch. I was not trying to buy a cheap product just looking for the best deal. As far as size a medium should be good right? One other question Since it was nice out today i spent all day cleaning her cage outside I was wondering is there a bird safe soap to use or can I use dish soap as long as it is rinsed off well?

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Those Ekkie nails do get sharp lol, just ask my hand ;). I have more scars from his feet, than I do from his beak. You need to trim them as not only do they hurt, they also make it easy for the bird to get caught in toys (especially ropes). I only just started clipping my birds nails myself. I have seen the vet do it a million times and I suggest you get the vet to do it if you're unsure. Also, don't clip them too short, you only need to take off that sharp tip. I found, if Eddies were clipped to short, he wasn't able to grip anything very well, he kept rolling of my shoulder lol.

I also have a concrete perch. I placed it next to Eddie's food bowl so he would have to stand on it. Honestly, it really doesn't do much to prevent nail trims.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
The best perches are the natural ones. I learned in a class how to find them. Study the bird safe trees and know what they look like. Then go to construction sites where they are cutting down trees and you will have lots to choose from. There is a product in the US healthfood stores called grapefruit seed extract. fill you tub about 1/4 way and add about 10-15 drops of GSE to the water. After washing the branches with vinegar/water solution soak the branches for a few hrs. Dry in the sun. Innspect them to be sure they are clean and insect free. Then you can use them in the cage. There are adapters you can use to put on the ends just like the ones in a store.

OP
ostromk45

ostromk45

Oct 8, 2010
Parrots
Eclectus parrot female
what i can i use when i clean her cage right now i am just useing the hose and a scrub brush?

Most Reactions

Latest posts