Re-did the newt tank AGAIN

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Poor Mr. Newt. So many changes recently for the little slimy guy. As I cleaned his tank today, the 'new' (roughly 6 months old) coral decoration started falling apart. All the little plant-things started falling off and paint came off in big chips:headwall: I am SUPER annoyed about that. Went down to the aquarium store and the guy said those decorations tend to only last 6-7 months because people won't pay for them to be made better these days:mad: Ended up getting a big faux rock with holes the guy recommended as 'durable' and a plant. I think it looks decent, and hopefully is the last change for a VERY LONG TIME:

DSC_6575_zps686dd129.jpg

DSC_6576_zpsd5c4a3c8.jpg

DSC_6581_zps3f93f180.jpg

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Sorry that happened :( I think it still looks good! I wonder if he'll swim in and out of the holes? Looks like a refuge inside it too. 6 months isn't very long for something that just sits in water and doesn't get "used". I'd be annoyed too.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
O man, he escaped up the plant last night:22_yikes: Guess it was too tall! Thankfully, he landed in the old tank I now store water jugs in so he didn't get stomped when I woke up:eek: I cut it WAY down this morning so that doesn't happen again. Got to figure out how to get the lid more secure!!!

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Oh no! Glad he didn't get squashed...

That is a nice setup. I keep seeing him and go that would be cool to look at and then think but I'd never want to clean it:D Had the same problem with fish love to look at it but hate to clean the tank!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Wow, I can't believe that only lasted 6 months, how ridiculous:(
The tank looks great with that rock, though:) Glad he didn't escape too far!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Oh no! Glad he didn't get squashed...

That is a nice setup. I keep seeing him and go that would be cool to look at and then think but I'd never want to clean it:D Had the same problem with fish love to look at it but hate to clean the tank!

Thanks. It's really not too bad to clean/maintain, much easier than I remember fish being. I also haven't ever had algae issues with the newt, whereas I remember it being a CONSTANT issue with my fish. Wash off the decorations, siphon the substrate, clean the glass and do a partial water change once a week, wash the filter unit and change the cartridge once a month and it's pretty much going to stay crystal clear and healthy environment for the newt. It takes me about 15-20 minutes. Not much more involved than a reptile enclosure really (and a lot less poops and uneaten food than a parrot cage:54:). Be warned though, these newts can live up to 25 YEARS!!!! The pet stores LIE when they say 3-5 years...

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Well of course he'll live that long with YOUR optimal care :). Remind me how old he is now?

Most Reactions