Re-Homing a Patagonian Conure

Taylors397

Dec 30, 2019
Hello. My name is Janeen Taylor. My 88 year old mother has a Patagonian Conure that she would like to find a good home for. ‘Mango’ is around 30 years old and is a female. She loves attention and companionship and because my mother is getting too old to give her the kind of attention that parrots crave, Mango has taken to plucking out her chest feathers. I am unable to care for her myself and so would love to find a good home through this website. She is free to anyone who has experience with parrots and who would be willing to take on the responsibility of providing a loving environment for her. She is healthy other than missing her chest feathers. I hope that when she gets the loving attention that she deserves, she will no longer pluck her chest feathers.

We live in Jacksonville, Florida. If you are interested in adopting Mango, please contact me via a moderator.

Thank you so much!!

Janeen Taylor

Last edited by a moderator:

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Oh this can't be easy for you or your mother! I wish you good luck finding the perfect home for Mango. Sadly, we are a little too far away ourselves to help.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oh, my, my, my. My heart began to break when I read the title of your post.
I have a 35-year-old Patagonian (the only one who turns up on these forums these days), and I have had him since he was three months old. I can't possibly take your bird, though I'd love to. I am thrilled that she is a female. By all accounts, they are so much quieter and sweeter than the males... my Rickeybird is a boy, and I don't think I'm exaggerating to say he is pretty famous for being awful.
Here is a Patagonian Tutorial I made a while back. Maybe you or the new home will find it fun or useful in your re-homing process.
Best of luck to you. If I can help in any way, I will. These forums have been invaluable to me in coping with him and even enjoying him. He is my precious little love, and I would be honored to facilitate your bird's success in the future.

http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/77615-patagonian-conure-tutorial.html
There are also some links in my signature that may be of interest.

I'm glad you are there to help her. Best, best, best of luck to you both.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
I want to add...

My wonderful avian veterinarian has shared with me that, back in the 70s-80s, he saw quite a few Patis. He thinks it was sort of a craze... 'the largest conure' and all. Over the years, their popularity plummeted, due to an incorrect popular myth that they often carried Pacheco's Disease (not true) and also, due to their loudness and difficult personalities (the roosters, at least).
By the 2000s, he said he had no Patis at all in his huge practice. Now, the Rb is his only one, and he gets the star treatment because if it!
I am guessing that your grandmother's bird was somewhere in that wave of popularity.
It's wonderful that she has had a loving home all this time.

I bet you're guessing that I'm thinking about your bird lot. :) I am.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
OMG, I'm back.

Now I'm thinking about your grandmother.

I got the Rb when I was in college, and I'm retired now. I really think I can imagine the bond there.

Please tell your grandmother that I think she is beyond brave and good and loving to do this. If she ever wants to correspond, I'd be honored.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Janeen, lovely introduction! Very sad to know your mom seeks a home for Mango. Deep respect for placing her patagonian's needs to the forefront.

My sole concern for placing her free of charge is the propensity for some to act as "flippers" and monetize a secondary transaction. Hopefully you will have an opportunity to thoroughly assess prospective candidates.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I hope you find a good home. I took in a rehome parrot earlier from here. He is a wonderful parrot..

I wish I had more room. I would love to help more parrots . But I'm just full.

I hope something steps up. We did have two people hanging around looking for parrots so maybe they will.

And yes as always trust your gut, ask questions.

I don't know if pictures might help? I understand she plucks, I have a plucker as do many people here. We know birds missing frsthrs are still wonderful love parrots.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
My wife is GaleriaGila above, who has the senior male Pati. As the missus said, Patagonians are few and far between, but she was just telling me all about the situation.
She says there have been two females who spent some time here and they were both sweet, absolutely adorable. One was very old and one was a baby. I remember the older one and she was a real sweetheart. I believe the older one plucked a bit as well. Anyway, I know that my wife is very sincere about helping out in any way she can. For a while at least she kept in touch with these people and I believe that she is sending some messages to the two owners to see if they would be interested in having a pair of Patis. There was a third Pati, also a female, in the UK, also very good personality and pet quality but of course that owner is not likely to be of help. The wife says she hasn't seen that particular owner here in a while anyway. Best of luck to you, your mom, and Mango.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
A thought! One great possibility is a sanctuary! Zaksee’s is an excellent place! The owner, Magic, is just that, magic with birds! Ignore the Macaw induced missing finger!
One of our own is the manager there! Her reputation of, animals come first, has gotten her in trouble more than once! They are out in Tampa, an incredible place! If needed, I could help relocating your little one!
Check them out!
https://zaksee.com/

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
Not a reply; really a Query. Am I considered to be a "Flipper" and wasting my time here trying to be helpful? jh

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
I would appreciate any input you could give to the original poster... I imagine that would be welcome as they weigh all options. :)

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
I asked a super moderator to contact them and extend an offer, as the original message requested. I have been waiting for a response and even furnished my home phone number to facilitate any communications. jh

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
I asked a super moderator to contact them and extend an offer, as the original message requested. I have been waiting for a response and even furnished my home phone number to facilitate any communications. jh

You have to understand the turmoil the OP is going through! Her family is at a cross road we all face, but want to ignore!
I am not at all surprised in their reluctance to reply! This requires sensitivity and patience

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Janeen Taylor - OP, asked me to tell you all thank you for your replies and support during this difficult time.

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
From the very simple message I posted, through a super moderator as requested, I fail to see where or how I was in any way; insensitive. Yet, my offer have been declined to others benefit. So thank you all for answering my query. Now I understand. jh

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don't understand why you think we are against you. We are not.

People are very choosy about who they give their parrots too. They know what will best match their parrots needs and personality.

I know you really want a parrot in your life. And I think their is a parrot out there that needs you! But I also think you need to set aside some funds every month, watch Craig's list for a cheap but nice cage. Go ahead and get your cage and set up. And maybe a rehome free bird will come along. Or maybe you can save up and get one that really needs a home from Craigslist. Believe me there are so many wonderful birds Birds -homed there, and a few in dire need of a rescue!

I have very limited funds to, so I understand. What once was said to me and I have never forgotten.
Decide what you want
Then decide what you are willing to
give up to get it.

For example. One of my GCC passed. My remaining GCC was devistated . I wanted a freind for her quickly, and decided on a Quaker. To make that happen I ate rice and Lentils only, I drove no where ( to save gas) I turned off the air conditioning, to save money on bill. This allowed me to get money together quickly.... And I got my Neptune.

Save a little every month in your bird fund. You can make your parrot dream come true. You can find many parrots under 200 on craigslist. And cages for less than 100 even nice big ones in good condition. I've seen great cages for 50 bucks. And great parrots for 100.

Last edited:

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
Laurasea, you are a dear s weet girl. PART, only part; of me getting angry was not getting the bird. A lot of people that own an animal; shouldn't. They keep them penned or on a lead, just to show others. Most pets don't get ANY interaction with owners. Birds aren't the only things that bite. I DO, understand pets and people. I DO, understand that birds bite out of fear; look at the disparity in our sizes. I also know, it doesn't matter "WHAT" it is, with a little effort on a persons part, they'd be amazed at how smart or appreciative any animal really is.
I have probably let the inefficiency of type-a-chat set me off and will just go with Gods' will wanting different for us sometimes, than we think we need. My apologies. Maybe I get banned, maybe not. jh

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Lol
Such is life sometimes we get banned sometimes we don't. We have to keep chugged along...
There are so many parrots that need someone who wants them. I hope you find yours!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
From the very simple message I posted, through a super moderator as requested, I fail to see where or how I was in any way; insensitive. Yet, my offer have been declined to others benefit. So thank you all for answering my query. Now I understand. jh

Hey, I apologize! You mistook/ I miswrote my comments! What I said was for you, not at you!
I was thinking of your frustration and I was trying to look at it from a different view!
I know, for me, when I start something, I want results now! I sometimes post a question on here, and keep checking every three or four minutes, wondering why there are no answers! Least not the answers I wanted!

Most Reactions