Readjusting to being an only parrot

NWQuakers

Jan 6, 2013
Everson, WA
Parrots
Lucky, Quaker, abt 18/male?
Previous birds: 2 Quakers, 2 budgies, Nanday conure, Indian ringneck, 2 tiels, Red Lory, 300+ finches.
After mark died (Lucky's companion of 3 yrs) Lucky was pretty upset, so we took in another Quaker that had been abandoned in a parking lot. He was a lot younger than we wanted, but gave it a try.

Turned out that this birdy was too much of a bully for Lucky, and had some serious rage issues, besides being really jealous if we did anything with Lucky. The gal who rescued him had another home lined up, so we made a hard choice and gave up the new bird.

For a few days Lucky seemed happier, like she didn't care the other Quaker was gone, but now she's more upset. We know for sure were not adopting another parrot, so now we need to help Lucky adjust.

She has lots of toys, lives in the main part of the house with people, dogs & cats, has a big window with wild birds and chickens to watch, has a radio playing quietly during the day, but she has started alarm calling. Should we just keep on with the daily routine and see if she settles down? We don't have tv, and she doesn't care about watching parrot videos on the computer. I don't want to make her sick by giving her too many treats to distract her....

Not sure how to help her feel better....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Other than trying to keep her distracted and busy, I'm not too sure. I've had multiple birds for years now, and never had to deal with a medium parrot becoming a single bird.

Sorry the other quaker didn't work out!

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
I've had multiple birds for years as well so I haven't been through this. I would try new toys and foraging activities to keep her busy. Maybe a t.v. or radio left on for sound stimulation. One person who went through this and didn't add a parrot got a goldfish that the bird could watch.

OP
NWQuakers

NWQuakers

Jan 6, 2013
Everson, WA
Parrots
Lucky, Quaker, abt 18/male?
Previous birds: 2 Quakers, 2 budgies, Nanday conure, Indian ringneck, 2 tiels, Red Lory, 300+ finches.
It's so odd that she didn't seem to care for a few days. I really don't think she liked the other quaker, but still liked birdy company.

Her previous home, I think there was a U2 with her most of the time. Then the husband died and the U2 went to live somewhere else. We took Lucky in after that. She still talks about Scooby and bosses our dogs by telling them to get back on their cage, so I know she's used to company.

I have a radio near her cage. It's spring, so there are tons of outside birds to watch. I think I'll try changing her toys a lot more often, and try more new ones.

At least she's staying friendly (within her limits) and not being too mopey. Hopefully I can get her to enjoy being in different areas of the house on her travel perch.

I really wanted the other birdy to work out, but I could just tell it wasn't a good match over all

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Would you consider maybe a smaller bird like a budgie or something, maybe even a pair. Would give her some company but not being socially demanding on you or her.

Just a thought.

Most Reactions

Latest posts