Ready for mating or NOT !

com520

Sep 1, 2012
Houston, Tx
Parrots
Sun Conure
I have a two year old sun conure, he is very playful. But at the same time he's always by himself, he's a companion to my mom. I will DNA test it when i think he's ready to get a friend. I have a few concern regarding getting it a friend. One of them is that my bird is still friendly and plays and fly's around the house without a concern. ONLY WITH MY CONCERN OF LANDING ON A COMPUTER OR HARD SURFACE/STOVE..If i get him a friend will he stop playing around, flying and start mating and be private on the cage only. Will this is something is going to happen? Another questions is when is the time for my conure to have a wife? I know for mating is at least 2 yrs but I still want a playful friend flying around the house...How long should i think i should wait? another year? Or if I get him a friend will they be playing around the cage most of the time? Well people with knowledge let me know. Just want the best for my bird.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If i get him a friend will he stop playing around
Probably not... two can be trouble! Monkey see, monkey do!

You can train parrots to fly to certain areas as well as training them to keep away from certain areas. However, it can take time and persistence.

flying and start mating and be private on the cage only
It's natural for parrots to fly, so it's unlikely to get him to stop... the mating part? who knows. Even same sex birds can mate, they just wont produce any offspring!

Will this is something is going to happen?
Might. Might not. Wont know until you do.

Another questions is when is the time for my conure to have a wife? I know for mating is at least 2 yrs but I still want a playful friend flying around the house...How long should i think i should wait? another year?
If you want breeders, it doesn't necessarily matter as long as the two get along and they are old enough to breed. Please understand that pets typically don't make good breeders, and breeders don't make good pets.

If you don't want to breed (i.e. pets), you don't have to get another bird, or not one of the opposite sex.

Getting a bird of the opposite sex is no guarantee that the two will get along/breed.

Getting a bird of the same sex is no guarantee that the two might not become aggressive towards you and try to breed anyway...

Or if I get him a friend will they be playing around the cage most of the time?
They might.

Unfortunately, any questions about personality or actions no one can predict or say how it will go... all birds are different as well as the situations.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Well com520, every single companion parrot i have ever owned has had a partner of the opposite sex. I never have worried about what will happen when i introduce them but always have plan B in place just in case things go pear shaped.

I had 2 sun conures & they used to love to hang out with my hubby & myself but as they matured they became aggressive towards strangers that visited & had to be caged until they left.

I also know friends that have their companion parrots breeding in the house. A nest box set up in the cage.

Most Reactions