Rearranged his cage. So much fun!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
As Kiwi's swing and wacky wood perch have been "out for repairs" for some time now (i.e. the dummy chewed both right out from under his feet) now both are back, along with some new toys and the little green guy couldn't be happier! I do want to give a special thanks to Shirre (getwozzy) for the beautiful, custom rope perch she made for Kiwi's little cage swing. He is most pleased with it, and at 1.5" diameter, it is a size perch he doesn't have. He just loves being on swings/swinging things (more than any bird I've ever known lol)! I did put the swing next to his platform this time and suspended the wacky wood perch from the "roof" of the cage. Seems to be a better setup. Let's see if he's wised up not to chew the WW perch out from beneath his feet again (this is why my bird doesn't have wood perches, he totally fails at comprehending the concept if he chews the perch he's standing on he will fall:rolleyes:).

DSC_7328_zpsfa122467.jpg

New perch layout (and yes, there are more toys, just out of the camera view)

DSC_7333_zpsf8ba813a.jpg

Soaking up the "sun" and have some great toys. Kiwi lives the easy life!

DSC_7332_zps87875930.jpg

My mommy is so mean to me. She put lots of little toys in my treasure chest I'm struggling to get out!

DSC_7341_zps5806fd8f.jpg

DSC_7342_zpseaff52ab.jpg

Playing AND swinging on a perch with "wind chime" bells at 8:00 at night. Hahahahaha whatcha gonna do about it? I'm being a good boy:20:!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Nice pics of a parrot's dream home! The undulating object at top in the first image looks like a snake!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Nawww! Look at Kiwi- he looks so happy on his swing!!! I'm so glad he loves it- and it looks great too!! [emoji4]

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Nice pics of a parrot's dream home! The undulating object at top in the first image looks like a snake!

Lol. Most certainly not a snake. That's his wacky wood perch. He loves climbing on it because it "swings" and is so uneven (Kiwi is a master climber). It's some kind of natural vine.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Hendryx-Wacky-Wood-Perch/dp/B0002DJ9R0]Amazon.com : Prevue Hendryx Wacky Wood Perch 24 inch : Bird Perches : Pet Supplies[/ame]

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Such great pictures. :) lots of ideas for me when I rearrange Pumpkin cage this weekend. How often do you rearrange you birds cages?

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Such great pictures. :) lots of ideas for me when I rearrange Pumpkin cage this weekend. How often do you rearrange you birds cages?

I'm always changing out toys, but actually moving the perches around? Like once or twice a year. Be sure to post pics of Pumpkins cage when you finish!:)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Kiwi always takes the cutest pics :). Shirre I love the swing!

My guys have the same treasure chest. Does Kiwi successfully get everything out? Griffin is pretty good at it, but Raven just stares at it but gets overwhelmed (too hard for him?) LOL, so he just chews on the cardboard ring I have around the chain :)

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
If you don't mind me asking....where did you get that black grate thing in the cage?
Been looking for a couple of those and can't find any avian store that has them.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Kiwi looks just like my Poppie and Vinny....lovely birds the Blue fronted's are.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
Love his cage!!! Kiwi is so beautiful!!!

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
AWESOME awesome awesome !!!!! Thanks.....I'm getting 4 of those of those, My Amazons would love that. My grey maybe, my Senni, for sure.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I :smile015: Kiwi's new arrangements, including the most awesome rope perch!! :D

Hawk, I know you were asking April about the metal shelf corner perch, and I hope I'm not stepping on toes by answering. :eek:
Cage Accessories: Cage Corner Shelf at Drs. Foster & Smith

Not at all! I got that perch years ago at the parrot store I went to when we lived in Arizona, so I would've just suggested amazon.com or something:) At least you knew exactly where they come from:54:

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
I'm definitely getting one, been looking around for one, and when I seen that one in the cage, I thought, yeah That's what I need, especially for Birdell, she has that bum foot (nerve damage) from when she somehow broke her foot at a very young age of 3 to 4 months. That was some 2 1/2 years ago. Poor thing has a problem with perches...she likes flat things to perch on.
Very needy and in very good health other wise....Her little blanket and that corner perch stand and she'll be in heaven.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
That's a happy, spoiled bird, lol!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Kiwi looks just like my Poppie and Vinny....lovely birds the Blue fronted's are.

I actually never really thought much about BFA's when looking for a bird because I'd heard so many negative things about them as a species. But, when Kiwi came up, there was no way I was leaving him where he was and it turns out he just needed love and patience:) He's a really good bird actually, very friendly (when he knows/trusts you, we're working on stranger skills still), very laid back/mellow and VERY flock oriented. Like many other parrots, I think they get a bad rap because of bad owners who drive the bird to misbehave (not that they are misbehaved by nature). Are Poppy and Vinnie also pretty mellow birds who don't cause problems for you?

My guys have the same treasure chest. Does Kiwi successfully get everything out? Griffin is pretty good at it, but Raven just stares at it but gets overwhelmed (too hard for him?) LOL, so he just chews on the cardboard ring I have around the chain :)

Some are in there that can't come out unless it's unscrewed and taken apart. Others can be removed. He will get the ones that can be removed out, it just takes him some time since it's not so much a puzzle to solve as it is a "luck" toy;)

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
I actually never really thought much about BFA's when looking for a bird because I'd heard so many negative things about them as a species. But, when Kiwi came up, there was no way I was leaving him where he was and it turns out he just needed love and patience:) He's a really good bird actually, very friendly (when he knows/trusts you, we're working on stranger skills still), very laid back/mellow and VERY flock oriented. Like many other parrots, I think they get a bad rap because of bad owners who drive the bird to misbehave (not that they are misbehaved by nature). Are Poppy and Vinnie also pretty mellow birds who don't cause problems for you?

Some are in there that can't come out unless it's unscrewed and taken apart. Others can be removed. He will get the ones that can be removed out, it just takes him some time since it's not so much a puzzle to solve as it is a "luck" toy;)

Let me know how that goes with Stranger skills....My Zon's will attempt to fly off to somewhere safe if there is somebody they never seen before, so I too have to work on that with my Zons...they are very good birds, Especially Poppie, she is sooo trust worthy. Tonite I gotten a surprise from her....I was putting her to bed where she walks up top of her cage, and climbs up on the large rope ring above her cage. I normally get a kiss from her. So I said "Are we forgetting something?"...She hurried back down climbed on my arm , leaned over and gave me a kiss on the lips, then turned and went back up to her ring above her cage saying nite nite as she did....she's a sweety and really thinks about things you say and responds to them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts