Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus

Red Front Macaw (Melbourne)

Date: 2011-11-06, 5:09PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have a baby red front macaw super sweet trying to talk to re home asking re home fee no cage bird only thanks

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 2688705429

I know that there were a couple of people looking for a baby Red Front Macaw. This person is about 100 miles from me here in Central Florida. I don't know what they are asking or if they are willing to ship.
But it would be worth a try.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I am the person who was looking for a RFM but I put money down on a baby from Wendy Craig. The baby will probably not be paid off until spring. Stupid association assessed us for the new roof just put on the house so that set my payment schedule off from before Christmas to now spring. I will probably have to wait for the next clutch.

I even have a cage ready for him. Its Diego's old cage but its a Kings stainless steel 306 model. Quite big and very heavy. In my opinion I think the cage might be a tad small but I won't know until I get the parrot.

I am tempted to respond to the add but I am in Minnesota and the drive to Florida is too long for this time of year.

Thanks for putting up the add.

Noblemacaw

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
I have heard nothing but good things about Wendy Craig! and know many people on another forum that have received red fronts from her... when you get him you'll have to post pictures...I was just at the bird store in my local area and they had a red front in there that looked like it was only slightly bigger than a severe....so some of them can be rather small.....chad

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Hi Chad,
What shocked me is that my avian vet knows about Wendy Craig. I cannot wait to get my boy. I still miss Diego very very much and Joaquin for that matter but the sadness is not good for me and I need to move on. I know I probably talk about these two a lot in posts but I will never forget them.

Was the RFM in your local store from Wendy Craig? On her web site those RFM's look rather plumpy and large. Plumpy parrots!!

After quarantine it is my hope that the RFM will help keep my Noble macaw company. Since Diego died he has been very needy I try to help him but have to be careful of his hormones so I can only handle him certain ways. We play a lot more so that I don't have to touch him so much and I have him perform tricks to keep him busy.

Their cages will be side by side like they are now. Diego's cage will be the RFM's cage but I am sure I am going to have to modify the food doors and the door lock as it has been reported to me that a RFM has been breaking free out of a Kings cage.

I will be posting pictures of my RFM until people tell me to stop. LOL

Noblemacaw

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
No I doubt the red front was from Wendy Craig! But it was the smallest red front I have ever seen! I can't wait to see pictures when I decided to get a Blue Throat I was deciding between them and RFM.....

chad

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
I just read your tagline..you have an Illiger's macaw!! Diego was an Illiger's macaw I flew out to California to get in September 2002. Diego died this summer in June from a stroke. I am devastated and miss him every day. Please....can I see a picture of Jewel? As you can see my profile pic is of Diego my Illiger's. I probably should put a pic of Mihijo my Noble macaw but I can't just yet.

Diego was very bonded to me and use to lay on my neck when we watched TV. He would make these comfort noises to lure me to sleep. He also was fully flighted and trained to fly back to his cage or to me on command. I took walks with him but he was always harnessed. When he saw me get the harness he would run to the perch I make him go to before I take him out and bow his head down for me to put it on. He was a fantastic bird, very naughty and pulled jokes, but I loved him dearly.

I would tell my friends that macaws have to earn their way into heaven because they are so naughty but Diego is across the rainbow bridge with Joaquin.

Please tell me more about your Illiger's? Thank you!!

Noblemacaw

Tswift

Feb 3, 2011
Parrots
2 Caique Sisters- Ava and Sheik
I was interested in a Red-Front macaw. I am located in Missouri and I have never even seen one, so I am hesitant on inquiring one to be shipped to me, but I guess it wouldn't hurt seeing how much they are asking for. I'm also scared of being ripped-off. How do you know that they would ship you the bird? Anyone ever get a bird shipped to them from Craigslist?

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Hi Tswift,

I researched RFM for many many months. First I talked to the local rescue whom knows I was/am looking to rescue one. I thought I wanted to help out the homeless parrots by bringing one that lost its home into my home. That was not meant to be because the several inquires I did have did not pan out. (one ended up in Iowa that I knew way back when he was at the RainForest Cafe in MOA and the other was sent back to his breeder per the owner/breeder agreement).

I stared researching RFM breeders out of state and ran into a lot of people talking about Wendy Craig and how she specailzes in RFM. I began emailing her then we had talked on the phone. What also made me comfortable is that even my avian vet knows who she is. Wendy would love it if I came down to her to pick up the baby. Personally I would love to do that. It is my hope that my housemate Lupe will have the time off and will be able to drive me down there (I can't drive long distances) and make this a vacation/baby bird retrieval/old friends visit by driving down to Texas to get the baby. If I cannot make the trip to go get the baby Wendy explained to me in great detail how she ships the birds. I hope to be able to make the drive and to be able to meet her face to face and get to know her better. I think showing up with a delicious dessert to share is a good way to get to see someone face to face for the first time? LOL

I got my Illiger's macaw this way. I researched out Illiger's macaw breeders and found one in San Diego California. After emailing and talking on the phone for quite a while I began a payment plan to get a baby. Since I was the first to pay off the baby I was to have first pick. We had planned for me to fly out there and I stayed with her for the 4 days I was out there. Not only did I make a great friend but I learned so much more about bird husbandry from her. This was in 2002 and did involve a lot of trust on both our parts (me sending her money and her hosting me in her home for 4 days)

I feel real solid about my decision to get a RFM weaned baby from Wendy Craig. Her pricing is not too bad but its not the lowest either. I would rather pay a little bit more to make sure I am getting a quality bred bird by someone that knows the breed than get one for a lower price who comes across a bit dodgy.

If you want to take this discussion off the form let me know. I hope this helps you a little bit.

Noblemacaw

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I think showing up with a delicious dessert to share is a good way to get to see someone face to face for the first time? LOL

I agree! Dessert is always a good idea! For both the humans and the birds. When we went to pick up River, I took a huge pan of birdie bread to give to my breeder. I probably should have taken some human treats too though lol.

Tswift

Feb 3, 2011
Parrots
2 Caique Sisters- Ava and Sheik
Thank you noblemacaw. Your advice is always appreciated!

I am still unsure of what breed of macaw I am wanting and upon looking more at the bigger picture, I am planning to not purchase a macaw until next Summer when my finances will be much stronger. I do not have a car at the moment, and I was thinking about purchasing one, so I need to make sure I will be financially able to pack away at least $2,300 (bird, cage, toys, travel cage, vet bills, and money left over to save for any emergency vet bills).

With that said, I have decided I will buy my macaw from a breeder or my local exotic parrot store which I trust. I do not believe a re-homed macaw for my first big bird would be a good situation for myself or the bird. I will most likely contact Wendy in the next few months if I do decide on a RFM instead of a Blue and Gold to see if I could start a financial plan similar to yours and get one in the next year or two.

Again, thank you!

Most Reactions