Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Maverick(pattagonian conure)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
Blue(Indian Ringneck-Rest in peace)
Last night I saw a post about a blue and gold macaw that needed to be rehommed. There was no price posted so i contacted the person and I received a reply. This was the reply,
β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”-

Hi Dear,

Thanks for your interest in my Blue and Gold macaw parrot that i want to give out to a good and caring home . Its a female called Rachel.Attached to this email are more pictures of Rachel and i .she's 18 months old.Due to extreme personal reasons and life changes, i must find her a new home. It has nothing to do with Rachel . I have been training Rachel since she was just months old. She was hand fed and raised and trained to be a β€œPR” parrot. What I mean by this, is that she was raised and trained to be in the public, and handled by the public. She has been featured in many photo shoots, and has been used for educational programs, nursing homes, exhibition shows, and much more as seen on the pictures attached to this email.I raised her to be comfortable in the β€œpublic eye”.
Due to her extensive training, she is very social and very friendly. she has a wonderful comical personality typical of macaws. she is quite the goof when you get to know her. she has none of the bad habits associated with most β€œyounger” parrots. Rachel can talk, likes to lie on her back and to be cuddled. she is very affectionate and loving. she likes to be scratched on her head and under her wings. she steps up every time you ask. she has been well trained. she will do well in just about any home where she will get constant attention. she does not scream, and is very quiet for a younger parrot, again this is due to her extensive training.

Am a truck driver by profession and am always on the road so this leaves me with less time to be around sweet Rachel.I'm single(Divorced) and there is virtually no one to be around Rachel when am not around.So i've decided to get a new home for Rachel . Rachel is so so precious to me and i'm kinda addicted to her so i've decided that anyone that's going to adopt her, should not be located around me.He/she should not be around where i live, for am currently located in Virginia.That's the reason why i posted the advertisement on Craigslist far off Virginia.I don't want a situation where i will be tempted to get her back after i give her out. So let me know where you are located so that i can inquire her shipping cost and let you know.Also, include your cell number so that we can communicate easier and faster.You will cater just for her shipping cost.I'm not very much concerned about money now, all i want is to ensure that Rachel finds a good home.
Hope your family is going to be the best for Rachel if and only if,you can provide us with some info about your home...that will help me better understand your home.That's your family composition, their reactions towards pets in general, whether or not you've owned pets before and how do you intend welcoming Rachel into your home. Well, i will be willing to give out Rachel to your home provided you are going to give her all the necessary care and attention that she deserves in the world.
Rachel is on a pelleted diet. she also eats fresh foods daily along with a couple of shell nuts every day. Rachel needs a home where she will be out of her cage most of the day, getting lots of attention. for that's what she is used to. I will also include all of her toys and food samples. she is still a baby, and would make an excellent addition to any home. she’s better than getting a tiny bird, because she’s already trained. It will break my heart to part from her, so i would really enjoy a home that would keep me up dated on how she’s adjusting. Note that i'm not asking to see her, but an update now and again and pictures would be good.Hope to read from you asap.
β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
Now this guy has sent me pictures of the macaw and himself. He gave me a personal phone number and I have texted him many times. He also took he craigslist ad down right after I contacted him. He is asking for $290 as an adoption fee for the shipping. Do any of you think this is real or do you think this is a scam?

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Personally this sounds like a scam, one I've heard of many times before. They get you hook-line-and sinker with the big long story and then ask for you to simply pay shipping, usually a couple hundred dollars. What happens after this is they find a way to get you to transfer money to them, and then you never ever end up seeing the bird or hearing from them again. If the ad was taken down, it was likely flagged/reported. Run!!!

In the future, go with someone that will meet you in person with the bird.

OP
Jferrand526

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
I havent asked him if he would meet me in person. I don’t know if I should do that. My instinct says that this is not fake but another part of me says it is fake.

Boozieshome

May 26, 2017
The Woodlands, TX
Parrots
Bonnie and Clyde, Umbrella 'Toos, and BoozieToo, a double yellow Amazon. RIP Boozie, Blue crowned mealy Amazon
My wife inquired about pair of African Greys and got the exact story, verbatim. It is a scam.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
These questions nag at me.
He knew he was a trucker with no time when he got the bird, right? Why get it?
Extensive training? By whom?
Photo shoots and stuff? Let's see 'em.
She sounds too good to be true. Every desirable trait!
It costs a lot more than 290 to ship and insure a big bird.
The breeder won't take her back and find a better home?
He's in Virgina but wants a placement farrrrrrr away?

It could be legit, sure, but...
As I said, I have a lot of sketchy vibes.
Good luck to you; please be careful.

OP
Jferrand526

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
I’m being very very careful with this. I have the photos in my emails but I don’t know how to post the photos. Also his phone number works, I have called him and texted him about the macaw.

Boozieshome

May 26, 2017
The Woodlands, TX
Parrots
Bonnie and Clyde, Umbrella 'Toos, and BoozieToo, a double yellow Amazon. RIP Boozie, Blue crowned mealy Amazon
Seriously, don't bother. My wife showed me the emails. It is verbatim the same person she received a reply from about African Grays she wanted to rehome far away from her. It is not legit.

OP
Jferrand526

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
Okay thank you so much for all of the information

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianÒ€ℒs Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Scam scam SCAAAAAAAMMMM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jferrand526

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
I will make sure to stay away from this scam type in the future.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianÒ€ℒs Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
They are tricky and infuriating. We all learn at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jferrand526

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
Well I did learn that this person was a scammer. I asked if I could travel to see the bird and the man never replied.

Thank you to all of you warning me it was a scam.

OP
Jferrand526

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
I thought the guy would not contact me again after I said I wanted to visit the bird but he did call and text when I did not answer his call. He said that it seems like I was trying to play a game with him even though he promised he wasnt scamming me. He futhermore blamed me for wasting his and the macaw’s time.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Why would they ship an adult well trained star of a parrot! This parrot is basically a celebrity.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
If it's on craigslist it's almost certainly a scam.

If I were in the business of selling parrots I would jump at a 1 year old macaw who's as well trained as that. Easy $2000 right there and considering the breeder already sold the parrot before that's profit on profit! Pretty sure any breeder would love the opportunity to make double the money off a bird

chad246emr

Feb 18, 2017
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Parrots
Pickle - Severe Macaw,
Sunshine - Umbrella Cockatoo
I’m always on Craigslist looking for deals as far as cages and supplies. These ads are so annoying. I always flag them, and after a while you can see them a mile away.

In south Florida, they particularly love to advertise African greys.

On a comical note, the most pathetic ad I ever saw stated the bird was collar and leash trained, and didn’t bark a lot. Hah!

OP
Jferrand526

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
I’m glad everyone thinks this is a scam as well. Its ridiculous, Craigslist should really be monitored as far as scams go. Its kinda dumb that a website like that isnt monitored when it comes to fraud especially when dealing with big money.

Most Reactions