Red-lored amazons, african greys. Opinions?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, actually, a lot of what I learned, I learned from working with Sally...

I was volunteering down at the rescue. They had about 350 birds, of all colors, shapes, sizes and temperments... YOU LEARN BY DOING.

Sally was given up as a "beyond hope" bird. In some ways, I took her for the wrong reasons... I was determined to prove my point. I honestly didn't even want her at the time. She was a dangerous, out of control biter, and I even nicknamed her "moody b!tch" down at the rescue.

Turns out, she was just a super sensitive creature, who had been very badly abused. And it wasn't just Sally becoming bonded to me during those four months. It was very much a two way street... I SIMPLY COULDN'T IMAGINE NOT HAVING HER...

So, yeah, that bird also kinda made my reputation down at the rescue, when the bird that had taken not one, but two fingers off, was on my shoulder, with her head upside down, using my cheek for a pillow, and going to anyone... and loving on them. AFTER THAT, I KINDA HAD CARTE BLANCHE TO REHAB OR HANDLE ANYONE, ANYTIME... AND PEOPLE PAID ATTENTION TO SOME OF THE THINGS I HAD TO SAY.

BEYOND HOPE?! I DON'T THINK SO!!!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Splitting who up? Am I missing something... I don't follow.

Suggested reading: The parrot who owns me. That's very much like what life with a red lored is like.

Sally is one of my original birds. She was badly abused, and was one of the worst biters we ever had.
She had a phobic disorder, and was going to be put to sleep if I didn't take her... so I took her, and hoped for the best.

It took four months of intensive rehab, to get her to overcome her fears, and work through her issues. (AND THAT WAS FOUR TO FIVE HOURS PER DAY FOR FOUR MONTHS!!!)
So, needless to say, as a result of that super intense training, she became one of my most bonded birds ever...

And the "guardian angel" thing is absolutely real with these birds. They are fiercely protective of their flock.

This is the bird that taught Demitre not to scream. (He was upsetting everyone, so Sally put a stop to it.)
This is the bird that went "Big Bird" on my ex wife, every time she raised her voice to me.
This is the bird who stayed up all night watching out for predators, and doted over me when I was incapacitated with a back injury.
This is the "mother hen" bird who shows the new birds, and fosters that came into my house "the ropes." She mother hens everyone....
This is the bird that preens my eyebrows every day...

She and I have been through a lot together. She's 16-17 years old now, and I've had her since she was 2...

She's very, very bonded.
No No, Not your post, was referring to the first post!..
.........One thing to note about the RLAs first; the ad I found, they're tame but used to be really tame, they've been housed in a big aviary.
There is 1 female and 1 male, the male was born last year in May and the female was born in May 2013.....
What risks would I be taking if I did go for one of them?
As I said not a criticism on splitting them up, I just get caught up into their feelings. But as said I am always struggling with the conflict, two would overwhelm me, but would love to have one. I feel like I am splitting up a family for my own selfish wants!
I should have clarified that, but always assume everyone can read my thoughts

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I think he's referring to the RLAs I mentioned in my first post, there's a guy with 2 RLAs, 2 BFAs and possibly another species of amazons, in a big aviary.
Thank you!! There was a flock of very angry parrots circling my house, they just pulled out of their dive!:11:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah, somehow that didn't register in my brain. It's early. The coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Sounds like these may be breeder zons? And it sounds like these may be a bonded pair of red loreds.

Splitting up a bonded pair of pair bond birds?!

NOT SOMETHING I'M INCLINED TO BE A PART OF EITHER...

And if they're bonded to each other, and not especially tame, then what do they need you for?! (Other than to fill up their food and water dishes, provide them with things, and clean up their messes.)

As opposed to starting off with a baby CAG that's tame and handle-able?!

Doesn't seem like a hard choice to me.

OP
Psittaciformes
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Wow, that's amazing Mark! What you did with Sally.

Well right now I'm getting over Kiwiberry still, and I'm not quite sure which one of them would fit me the most.
Who knows, maybe there'll be a new ad up for little RLAs soon? I still don't know though. It's a tough decision.

I don't think they're a breeding pair, he doesn't mention anything about breeding in the ad, same thing with the BFAs.
He didn't write a whole lot of information though...

There is another ad for a CAG, no set price yet, price will be discussed when he finds the right person. Things like that put a ton of pressure on me, what if I don't know enough?
I don't yet, but when I've done more research.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I don't think they're a breeding pair, he doesn't mention anything about breeding in the ad, same thing with the BFAs.
He didn't write a whole lot of information though...

They never do. In fact, some folks actually are less than honest about the bird's history when they are trying to sell them. Especially if you can't get as much for breeders...

But lets think about this a minute. Two sets of male and female zons, kept in an outdoor flight, not handled much, if at all...

Hmmmm....

Family pets?! Perhaps...

Breeders?! Perhaps a bit more likely..

Just like all those sweet macaws (did I say sweet, I meant cage bound and screaming and biting)

that they just don't have time for anymore... (and haven't bothered with in the past ten years)

that okay we want money for him/her but we really want to see that he/she goes to the right home... (but the right home has money, and we're firm in that belief. Now please get THIS THING out of my house.)

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Also... Could be a scam.
Several ads in my area for pairs have ended up being scams

OP
Psittaciformes
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Good points both of you.
But it wouldn't hurt to ask questions, maybe a visit, they're not very far from here.
I'm still really torn anyway, don't know what would be the best fit for me.

How do they use them as scams? I don't get it

Last edited:

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
They advertise a bird for sale that isn't even real.
Then they ask you for money. You send it.
But don't get a bird.
More or less

OP
Psittaciformes
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Oh right, so just when they have to ship it?
Idk if you're allowed to ship birds over here, not sure, but I was gonna go visit, but then I know, if he keeps postponing I won't bother.

Most Reactions

Latest posts