Regurgitates every time I put perches in his cage

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
So, a few weeks ago Kirby hurt his foot. I got him medicine and took his perches out. Then when his foot was better I gave him a perch. He regurgitated on it at least 10 times. So I assumes it was just his perches so I took it out. But then the next day he regurgitated 14 times on his bars. I assumed it was the medicine. I took away the medicine and the perches and I haven't seen him regurgitate at all for at least a couple of weeks. But all that time he has been going crazy from being at the bottom so much. Today I decided its about time for a perch. I put a perch and his cage and I saw him regurgitate about 4 times! And who knows how much when I'm not around?

So he can't be sick right? Because it only happens with perches. But the odd thing is, it seems like whenever I put a perch in he gets in a regurgitating mood and also regurgitates on bars. But it can't possibly be a coincidence that he happens to regurgitate only when I put perches back in his cage (and a while after taking them away)

Is he just really happy with them in his cage? Should I take them away, give him a different type of perch, or leave them in? I'm very confused.

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
P.S. He not only is regurgitating on his perch but on his bars.
P.S.S He often makes a bobbing motion with his head but nothing comes out.
I gave him a banana, which I don't usually do. Also, he drank water and then regurgitated only water.

Last edited:
OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
I took away the perch. Hope he stops. :/
Edit: Okay now I am concerned its vomit. I have heard vomiting is side to side or a quick flick. Just a second ago he regurgitated, it wasn't side to side or violent looking but it was just one flick, not three bobs. I don't know if this is what he usually does or if its vomit.

Last edited:

BEWolf

Mar 5, 2014
Lansing, NC, USA
Parrots
Harley and Marley mated pair of budgies, age unknown
Rajah and Keeta, mated pair of parrotlets, ages 6yrs. and 11yrs. respectively
Kiki, Senegal, F., 7yrs.
Kookooloo, CAG, F., 14 yrs.
Mimi, YHA, F., 1
I would take him to the vet and have him checked out, you just can't be too sure or take many chances. I don't know what is going on but it just doesn't sound right to me.

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
So we put a perch in his cage and he regurgitates for two days (a day after taking it away) and then completely stops. I don't see how he could be sick if he only does it when he has his perch. I took it away and he still is regurgitating from time to time (although more spread out then when it was in his cage)
I have no idea why that would be happening. I don't think its vomit because vomit looks violent right? He is eating, drinking, pooping, active, grinding his beak, I mean everything else is perfectly normal. Honestly, the whole regurgitating thing doesn't make any sense to me. I think he has always had regurgitating moments where he regurgitates about 5 times. I wouldn't have thought it the least bit abnormal unless I had looked up "regurgitating a lot". And the thing is, unless you say the exact number, like '10' people will say its completely normal. I've even seen people say "all day every day" and people just say "your bird loves you" But apparently 10 times is a lot more then "a ton" or "all day everyday"? Sorry, I just don't get it. :(

Its seems like every time I call a vet about this kind of stuff they say its okay but I suppose I will call the vet tonight. *sigh* I hope this doesn't keep me up all night worrying...

Last edited:
OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Regurgitated 4 more times. He either pumps his head 1 to 3 times or lowers his head and beaks it out. I don't think he flicks. Does anyone know what to do?

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Ive read he could be excited. He would be pretty excited about his perch.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Awww, I was hoping Kirby was doing better by now:(

Regurgitation can be a sign of happiness and over-excitement, and that sounds like the case, but after his recent injury/potential reaction to the medication, it wouldn't hurt to call the vet for an opinion.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Reminds me of Kyle from South Park...

BEWolf

Mar 5, 2014
Lansing, NC, USA
Parrots
Harley and Marley mated pair of budgies, age unknown
Rajah and Keeta, mated pair of parrotlets, ages 6yrs. and 11yrs. respectively
Kiki, Senegal, F., 7yrs.
Kookooloo, CAG, F., 14 yrs.
Mimi, YHA, F., 1
I suppose that it could be that he is overly excited but there could be something not right crop wise or could be an effect of the meds. I know that I tend to worry about them but things are easier for me if I can take care of it early on or avoid the problems in the first place.

Most Reactions

Latest posts