Rehomed Quaker, acting jealous

webdebutante

Jul 6, 2014
Idaho
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
We just adopted 5 year-old Quaker, and it's our first parrot (though not my first bird). He came from a home where he was socialized with dogs and children, and our first night he took to us pretty well though I could tell he was particularly attached to my husband. Within 24 hours he's started demonstrating jealousy toward anyone not my husband, lunging and hissing if anyone walks by the cage. He will occasionally let me pet him if he's on my husband but will no longer let me pick him up (except for the 2 seconds it takes for me to lift him from my husband to his cage), and today he got on my hand after being coaxed with a treat and then proceeded to attack my neck.

From reading I know it can take time for rehomed Quakers to get comfortable, but my major concern is reinforcing this possessive behavior. How can we socialize him but not let him get used to scaring everyone else away? How much time should my husband be spending alone with him, and do I need to focus him on acclimating him to the rest of us when my husband isn't around?

Boyd75

Mar 14, 2014
Brownwood, Tx
Parrots
Quaker Parrot, Roman
I would work with him when dads not around. Alot of quakers tend to get cage territorial, rearranging the cage from time to time, and changing locations with it can sometimes help.
But I would work with him 1 on 1 in a nuetral territory where he cant see your husband or the cage. let him get a little bit hungry and you be the source of food if you need help inticing him too work with you, then you can food his bowl when your done.

teagal

Jun 3, 2013
Bradenton, FL
Parrots
Quaker named Cabu
I would drop a treat into his cup and walk away. Sit next to his cage and talk quietly to him. If you are able, do this when your husband isn't around. The Quaker needs to learn to trust you.
That is true with any parrot.

Most Reactions