Rehoming an IRN parrot to get a friendlier bird

jollyjulius

Sep 1, 2021
Parrots
Jullie, Indian ringneck.
Two years ago my parents decided to get an Indian ringneck parrot, Jolly, one week after the unfortunate passing of our loved IRN Judy who died at 23 years of age.
They wanted to get a male parrot as they're known to be friendlier and more active, however after having Jolly for a while, she turned out to be a female that's very quiet and antisocial.
We tried all types of methods to get Jolly more used to us but she was always wary and angry at us regardless of what we did. Simply chatting with her would have her scream and hiss at us.
When we first got her, we found out that her wings were clipped, so maybe she has some previous trauma related to that.
Now my parents are thinking of giving her back to a pet store and getting a different more friendlier breed of parrots instead.
I can't support that idea as I don't know how fine it is to rehome her but also I can't take care of Jolly myself which i've made clear ever since before we got her.
Is it okay to rehome Jolly at her current age of 2 and 4 months? can it possibly be better for her?

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
I'm not sure where I heard this or if I made it up:
Momma says, parrots are like a box of chocolates you never know what you're gonna get.

Have you had Jolly for a couple of months or a few years?

If a couple of months you just need more time to build a bond and many tips and knowledgeable peoples on this site.

Steve rizzon

Jun 19, 2023
Media
Australia
Parrots
Eclectus parrots
Amazon parrots
Macaws
Cockatiels
Budgies
I'm not sure where I heard this or if I made it up:
Momma says, parrots are like a box of chocolates you never know what you're gonna get.

Have you had Jolly for a couple of months or a few years?

If a couple of months you just need more time to build a bond and many tips and knowledgeable peoples on this site.
😂😂😂

Most Reactions

Latest posts