Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I've been offered a new job which is more money and would allow me to move out of my parents house and in with my boyfriend but I'm concerned about the change to mine and the birds routine. At the moment they get at least 5-6 hours out of the cage every morning, outside at the moment since it's summer and longer on my days off. I work from 2pm mostly so they're able to be sleeping whilst I'm still at work which gives them more time out of the cage and a lot of freedom. The job I've been offered will involve me being gone for at least 10 hours a day between 7am and 7pm with a monthly evening meeting that could go on till 8.30 from work and also the occasional weekend shifts which would be in the day too. I understand that I've been very lucky with my work for the past four years but this job is more hours and more money and I am worried about how this will impact my birds and if I can make it work. I would also like to spend time with my boyfriend at his house before we get somewhere together so that is going to take some of my time too.

I can't leave the birds out of their cages in my room whilst I'm not there as my room isn't bird safe since it's also my bedroom and I'm worried about how much out of cage time I'll be able to give them. If I'm on the earlier shift I could be home by 5 but I would only be able to have them out in the evening and then I'll be keeping them up. They start to settle down for bed at 8 but if they're not in their cages by then they start sleeping on my shelves and not their cages so they'd have less than three hours out of their cage each day until the weekend. Is this doable? I'm worried they won't like that at all and then I wouldn't be able to do anything in the evenings all week either.

I would love to hear how other people who work full time away from home manage. There's no possible way for me to work from home either as I physically have to be at my job to work.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
It sounds like this job is a really great opportunity for you! I think it will be tough for your birds, but they are capable of adapting. Doing everything you can to give them out of cage time evenings and weekends will be very beneficial. Also maybe adding more interactive toys, like foraging toys, to keep them busy while you’re at work. Best of luck!

OP
Greenhouseparrots

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
It sounds like this job is a really great opportunity for you! I think it will be tough for your birds, but they are capable of adapting. Doing everything you can to give them out of cage time evenings and weekends will be very beneficial. Also maybe adding more interactive toys, like foraging toys, to keep them busy while you’re at work. Best of luck!
Thank you! I spent some time thinking about it this morning and I think I'll be able to get up and give them at least an hour out of the cage each morning and then a few more hours when I get home and obviously more on the weekends, so they won't be too unhappy!

Most Reactions

Latest posts