Reilly (BCC) update

LauraT

Jun 17, 2012
Parrots
Baxter - Senegal, Reilly - Blue Crown Conure, Robinson - Red Bellied Parrot
It has been over a month since Reilly came home. He has settled in so well and is such an amazing bird.
Not knowing much about his past, I am guessing he was used to a small cage. He does not have much muscle in the chest area, rarely opened his wings when he first came, and was very hesitant to touch perches. He clung to the side of the cage and got around his new large cage strictly by maneuvering the cage bars. He has started to explore his perches (rope perches linking sides of the cage), thin natural wood, thick.... He has started sitting on one of them and will occasionally cross the cage by rope perch. He is doing well with clicker training and has learned "I'm an Eagle" where he opens his wings wide. He also will flap them as I move him up and down.
He will now step up to our hand 90% of the time from the cage without nipping. He never bites hard - just warning nips now and then. If he is in a nippy mood, if I pull my sleeve over my hand he will step right up with no nipping.
He apparently was given a lot of snack foods. This bird wants junk food and if he hears anything that sounds like a chip bag rustling, he makes a "crunch" noise as if someone is loudly biting a potato chip. Like the Vlasic Pickle commercial :) He also makes the noise anytime he wants to try what you are eating. He is pretty specific about what he eats, but slowly we are branching out adding different pellets and nut/fruit blends. He is particular about what fruits and veggies. Hates green things. Likes purple things.
He adores a large bell he came with. He uses it as a megaphone and loves to sneeze into it, getting a "bless you" from us throughout the day. Other than that he is not giving any other toys any attention. He is not frightened by them. Just won't touch them. He did nip a small colorful wood toy the other day, so I am hopeful he may start to chew some wood - if not that beak is gonna be deadly ;).
He loves TV, musicals, cartoons, and music. He bobs his head and clicks along to the songs, completely off time...but he is having a ball.

Baxter is thrilled having him here. They chat all day and Baxter has picked up Reilly's crazy roaring laugh. It is a tiny Senegal version, but when the two get going, we can't help but laugh along with them.

That's a long enough post....but overall I am thrilled with how well he has settled in. He is a delightful bird and I am so glad he was able to join our home :) First time with a Blue Crown and I can't say enough good things about them.

Laura

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Aw he sounds wonderful!!!

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
Glad he is doing so well with you, he sounds adorable!! I just got my BCC last week and I am soooo in love.

yoshidaboss

Sep 9, 2012
tenn
Parrots
sun conure,
yoshi

baby sun... 6month's
thunderfoot (j/k no name yet)
the rustling of plastic wrappers gets yoshi to looking also :)

i never would of thought that conures had so much personality,
you just have to experiance it to appreciate it

Most Reactions

Latest posts