Relief for improperly trimmed wings?

stefano

Apr 16, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
White-fronted Amazon (Zoe), 2 Green-cheek Conures (Skittles and Gandhi)
My Amazon parrot's wings were improperly clipped (I wish I would have known while it was being done so I could have prevented this) and they are way too short. Now the hard ends that are left are irritating her under her wings and she's plucking like crazy (she has a history of plucking as well, so she's very good at making herself bald in a short amount of time).

My question is this: is there anything I can put under her wings to maybe protect her from the barbs? I would rather not put an ointment or water because she is a very anxious bird. I was thinking something along the lines of gauze, but I really don't know how to go about doing that.

I can't handle the idea of her being irritated by this until she molts and can get rid of some of those feather stubs. She is too sweet and I don't want her to withdraw from me as she gets more panicked.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You could try sanding down the ends.

Pluck those feathers out (not recommended).

Clip those particular feathers down to the quill (near the base, in other words - thus no end to bother the bird)

OP
stefano

stefano

Apr 16, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
White-fronted Amazon (Zoe), 2 Green-cheek Conures (Skittles and Gandhi)
You could try sanding down the ends.

Pluck those feathers out (not recommended).

Clip those particular feathers down to the quill (near the base, in other words - thus no end to bother the bird)

You are beautiful and brilliant. Thank you. I don't know why those ideas never occurred to me... I am just losing my mind and scared for my baby!

THANK YOU from Zoe and me!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Let us know if any of it works!

I've heard of other birds, especially african greys, plucking because of a clip. I've never had the issue myself, but those are some of the things that may help for birds who do have an issue with those pesky ends!

Most Reactions