Remain wing clipped or not?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
every owner needs to make the risk vs benefit analysis for themselves....

If you look at the bereavement page, there are many dangers to a flighted bird even just getting out and getting lost, it's happened to me when I was young with a cockatiel. However I do believe it's a parrots birthright to be able to fly.

Every owner has to make the choice for themselves.

Whatever any owner chooses just make sure you do not clip too much, a bird should be able to parachute and control it's direction to the ground with it's wings.

Personally I keep my birds clipped say "medium" so they can go about 2 feet horizontal for every foot vertical. And they can jump scare to about 2 feet before they head down. I treat it as a science.

I also encourage them to parachute at times...sometimes I'll put them on a bookshelf and sit on the floor, and wait for them to fly down to me. I actually catch them in the air a lot. I think this goes towards trust. Either way I just think every owner can figure out which is safer depending on where they live who the live with other pets, etc.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Hi,

Here’s my story. . .
Right before I went to pick up Levi, the breeder clipped him.
I wasn’t even asked. Than I went to the Vet & she clipped him. I shared w/ her my concerns about him getting injured. And she pretty much blew it off b/c she’s a strong advocate for clipping.
I watched Levi continue to crash & bust tail feather after tail feather & I was very concerned about him busting a rib. He would crash & land on his breast & smack his beak on my hardwood floors. I was constantly worried that he’d get seriously hurt. I asked the Vet can we do a lighter clip, so that he would have a softer/safer landing. She said no. Hmmmm.... I didn’t think my question was unreasonable based on my concerns for his safety.

I had him a year before I joined this forum. I had been considering letting his flight feathers grow in prior to reading the many threads on Pros & Cons of clipping.
So, for Levi’s mental & physical health, I decided to let him fly.

The only con for me & him is the ability to go outside and explore freely.
So, we’ve been working on harness training.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rudustin

Oct 25, 2018
Miami Beach, Fl.
Parrots
Queen Bavarian Conure
Hi
I've been off parrotforums for about six months but just logged in and saw yr posts about Muffin. I have a pair of hand-fed goldens and am in Fort Lauderdale. I've also had many parrots over the years, but these guys really are the best. Samba and Charo are free flighted. They live in an aviary attached to our house accessed thru a sliding door during the day, and sleep inside the house. They are expert fliers and it is so much fun to see them exercising their wings. Also love their food as much as Muffin. They get mostly fresh fruits and vegetables, with some pellets, seeds, and nuts. As macaw relatives, they need higher fat in the diet than most conures. Hope you have fun with Muffin!

Hooray! I finally found someone with a Golden, in fact two! I am in love with Muffin my Golden. He's like a puppy with feathers. Your arrangement sounds wonderful. To have an aviary attached to your home is paradise. Muffin still has a lot of green in on his head because he is very young. He is full of energy but so cuddly. We go everywhere together. He's becoming quite a celebrity in my Condo building. Wonderful to hear that you have two of them. Are they a breeding pair?

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
Apollo (CAG) , Kona (Pineapple conure)
My situation is much like Tami's . I too went to pick up Apollo and when I arrived at my breeders , the breeder had already clipped him . Clipping was not discussed in detail and for some reason he felt I would be ok with it as I would be training my bird anyway and this way I would have more control. To say I was angry would be an understatement. I almost walked out on the whole deal. Knowing the psychological effects clipping has and how long it takes for the new feathers to come back , coupled with the high possibility of the new flights coming in and with no structural support from the adjoining flights and then being broken during a fall just adds to the insult . Or landing hard like many do and suffer a broken keel bone. This is just my opinion and my intent is not to hurt anyones feelings but with all the information available to us today there are VERY FEW good reasons to clip. I do agree there are special cases and it is your right to raise your parrot how you want. As Human parents we would never consider having our 5 yr old childs legs amputated for any reason , but then later expect our child to have a normal perspective on life or ever walking again. It truly is damaging to the bird especially if it never fledge's . Apollo was very fortunate, with great care and time only broke two tail feathers in the time it took ( 14months) to grow back all flights. The breeder remarked " don't worry he'll grow them back in 6 months " BS !! . If you buy a baby let them learn how to do what our creator meant them to do, the decisions after that will be better made. If you do clip after fledging you will clearly see how utterly dangerous it is for your feathered baby. Any vet these days that tells you a light clip cant be done or is pro clip it would be my advise to move on and try another . Our outlooks or perspectives have to change and understand that we have asked these creatures to live with us and stop looking at what's more convenient for the human and try to have a relationship with a creature that really has no natural interest in being where they are.

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
Tami,

Keep up the hard work harness training Levi , he will get it and both of you will be able to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air together. Oh yeah you might even get a kick out of all the gawkers and people that stop you and cant believe you have a bird on a leash. Its amazing when I take my guys to our favorite bird store and all the questions I get as soon as the others notice their on harness's , honestly its tuff to get in and out of the store as they draw a crowd quickly. I'm really surprised so few people know about the harness's.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Tami,

Keep up the hard work harness training Levi , he will get it and both of you will be able to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air together. Oh yeah you might even get a kick out of all the gawkers and people that stop you and cant believe you have a bird on a leash. Its amazing when I take my guys to our favorite bird store and all the questions I get as soon as the others notice their on harness's , honestly its tuff to get in and out of the store as they draw a crowd quickly. I'm really surprised so few people know about the harness's.
Yep they stop you almost every second asking if they can pet my birds as usually have both at time Cooper and Baby my U2 with me on my shoulder, or arm. I even had a cashier at the gas station could hear, "Is that a bird on his shoulder" as walking in. The next question usually is? It doesn't fly away?

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
Yup! Its a lot of fun . Especially when you see the wheels spinning in peoples minds that " Hey my bird could do that" .

satocho

Dec 23, 2017
South Florida
Parrots
Bronze-wing pionus, Golden Conure, SI eclectus, blue-crowned hanging parrots
Hi
I've been off parrotforums for about six months but just logged in and saw yr posts about Muffin. I have a pair of hand-fed goldens and am in Fort Lauderdale. I've also had many parrots over the years, but these guys really are the best. Samba and Charo are free flighted. They live in an aviary attached to our house accessed thru a sliding door during the day, and sleep inside the house. They are expert fliers and it is so much fun to see them exercising their wings. Also love their food as much as Muffin. They get mostly fresh fruits and vegetables, with some pellets, seeds, and nuts. As macaw relatives, they need higher fat in the diet than most conures. Hope you have fun with Muffin!

Hooray! I finally found someone with a Golden, in fact two! I am in love with Muffin my Golden. He's like a puppy with feathers. Your arrangement sounds wonderful. To have an aviary attached to your home is paradise. Muffin still has a lot of green in on his head because he is very young. He is full of energy but so cuddly. We go everywhere together. He's becoming quite a celebrity in my Condo building. Wonderful to hear that you have two of them. Are they a breeding pair?
Hi, Rudustin
Samba is less than 2 yrs old and Charo will be 1 year old next Sunday, so both way too young to breed. I have no special intention to breed them, but I decided to get Samba a pal because they just seem so much happier with one of their own kind. I interact with them several hours a day, but they have each other all day and all night. They are no less friendly as two than Samba was as one, so it's a win/win. I'm glad to find another person in the area with a golden, too. I'll PM you when I have enough messages to qualify.

satocho

Dec 23, 2017
South Florida
Parrots
Bronze-wing pionus, Golden Conure, SI eclectus, blue-crowned hanging parrots
Hi,

Here’s my story. . .
Right before I went to pick up Levi, the breeder clipped him.
I wasn’t even asked. Than I went to the Vet & she clipped him. I shared w/ her my concerns about him getting injured. And she pretty much blew it off b/c she’s a strong advocate for clipping.
I watched Levi continue to crash & bust tail feather after tail feather & I was very concerned about him busting a rib. He would crash & land on his breast & smack his beak on my hardwood floors. I was constantly worried that he’d get seriously hurt. I asked the Vet can we do a lighter clip, so that he would have a softer/safer landing. She said no. Hmmmm.... I didn’t think my question was unreasonable based on my concerns for his safety.

I had him a year before I joined this forum. I had been considering letting his flight feathers grow in prior to reading the many threads on Pros & Cons of clipping.
So, for Levi’s mental & physical health, I decided to let him fly.

The only con for me & him is the ability to go outside and explore freely.
So, we’ve been working on harness training.

I had the same experience with my eclectus. I specifically requested the breeder not clip him, and he did. I almost canceled the sale, but didn't. In the end, poor Peaseley spent almost a year not being able to fly more than three feet. Now all his flights are grown in and he's getting quite skilled at maneuvering, but he's playing catch-up, and I wish he didn't have to.

I also acknowledge that everyone's situation is different, and there are risks at having a flighted bird. so each person should decide for themselves.

Most Reactions