thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
With the blue crown I've adopted, I need to build up a relationship and not induce a cagebound status.

So far he will, when in an isolated space, step up for me or on a stick with ease. It's just a matter of getting him TO the training area, where he wants to cling to the area he feels most comfy in.

It is not fun getting him out of his cage, a quarantine cage to remain separate from my other fids for a week or two, as he will just sit and sit and sit and spaz if a stick or hand comes by. Removing the toys from the cage has had little effect, but I want him to feel comfortable and at home and not need to be coerced or compelled to do anything. Eventually he will climb out of it, but it is something of an uphill battle to encourage...

Should I move the whole cage into the confined training area, after removing toys? Will that help him come out of it? Or will seeing my hand go into his cage make him even more of a spaz?

I know this will probably take a few months. He was abandoned in a pet store's bathroom, and the person who took him later returned him. This bird is so entertaining with his vocal mannerisms and cage hanging trick that I don't want to give him up and have him go through the stress of another re-homing. Especially as he shows signs of knowing how to step-up, there's something else preventing him from doing it. Trust, certainly, but how much trust given he's been bandied about so often...

Especially as he is amazingly quiet - or, rather, not screaming to the point neighbors complain.

I have slowly moved the stick toward him and move away if he gets very scared, but this won't build trust.

Once he is on the playgym, for which he is more exploratory today than he was yesterday, he will also be skittish... but he is moving forward toward me just enough to take millet treat. I'm slowly removing the amount of treat so he has to get closer to my hand (without encouraging biting)... This is what I think I'm doing right; as he gains more confidence and knows I'm okay, he will perch readily for treats.

My struggle is to get him out of the cage. Maybe wooing him with millet treat will help... but will sitting there 30 minutes with the treat just for him to gawk at me in return be effective?

I can't wait to build up trust as he loves to use a couple of toys to scratch his neck with, and that's the level of cuddling I want him to feel comfy with - with me instead of a pet store toy made out of coconuts, hay, and bells.

I can't wait until quarantine ends, as his proper cage is far better built, bigger, and more fun.

Right now, he's on the gym having fun with a bell toy, preening, staring at me, playing with the toy again...

Given his vocabulary, I'm appreciative that the person who gave him up (likely a female as the bird was found in the women's restroom) doesn't know any "potty-mouth words". :eek: :54:

:)

Oh, he does scream a little when I move into another room - so he likes me just enough to complain when I leave... I hope that is a good sign...

So I will be sure he gets no treat food except when he does something right for me, and with patience (even if it takes 32 minutes) I will work on his level. Once he perches, it'll be a cakewalk. I hope I can do it, but any other advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

OP
T

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
Quick addendum:

He was growling at the bell toy for a moment and wringing it violently. Almost like a tantrum. I know this time is "emotional growing pains" for him... he's using the coconut toy as a makeshift backscratcher again now as well... and now preening. I'm going to have to give him a bath with the all natural bat spray formula in the spritz bottle... gently. :)

Janedeaux

Mar 10, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
Sunday/gold capped hybrid conures: mystic and gypsy
Sun: Paisley
My babies almost like me enough to start calling when I leave. But still do not necessarily want me playing with them yet. They tolerate it after a first two stressful months with plenty of patience. They have come a long way from biting, flying away at every chance. They never bite any more and are so allowing some scratching after several minutes of calm talking. They've been very awesome from the beginning on stepping up. It came extremely natural to them and even if they were thinking of biting their instinct made them step up.
I had trouble with mine coming out as well so at first I just opened the door. They came out pretty soon with the food bowls being outside the cage. Next I started just taking the top off so they couldn't perch away from me. This immediately seemed to reduce the cage aggression. They are still flighty but they step up as soon as I touch their bellies. I take them to a neutral place then.

They are so much friendlier. My friends even comment on it. Now I'm just waiting on them to want to be near me. :)
any ideas on how to foster that? :)

Most Reactions