Remington

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
ok so he has been here for three weeks, when he is on his perch he will reach out towards me with one foot....so i thought it was time for the "hop up", but he didnt,
he did place one foot on my arm, used his beak to check out my arm, nibbled a bit, but that was it...do you think we need more time? He continues to eat from my hand
and comes to me when i say "come here"...maybe he's not ready?

AndrewH

Aug 22, 2010
Dayton, OH
Parrots
Both my birds are rehomed rescues. Samantha, Umbrella Cockatoo (HD: 2002)
Lucky, B&G Macaw (HD: 1990-ish?)
If you aren't afraid, continue giving him the opportunity to step up. He sounds nice. Just give him the chance.

When I brought a mature B&G home, I started taking her out of the cage daily, directly to her play stand. After a time, she'd tell me when she wanted to go back to her cage. I think this is a good way to start physical contact with the bird, as the bird understands what's going on (this person is taking me to the play stand, then back to my cage), and gets used to you.

I don't know if there is a better first step to having your bird step up (aside from what you've done already), but that worked for me.

OP
triordan

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
thanks andrew, Im not afraid, per say, justa little hesitant because he is over due for nails and beak trimming, but i have to handle him before i can take him in to be trimmed!! I havent pulled away, but did give him a stern NO when he nibbled a little hard

AndrewH

Aug 22, 2010
Dayton, OH
Parrots
Both my birds are rehomed rescues. Samantha, Umbrella Cockatoo (HD: 2002)
Lucky, B&G Macaw (HD: 1990-ish?)
Yeah, sharp nails are very painful with large birds. Yours looks to be about 300+ grams heavier than mine, too.

CrypticDelirium

Sep 16, 2010
NC
Parrots
Georigie, a very maniacal ball of fluff.
Babii (baby), The cuddle sponge
Aw, it sounds like you're doing wonderfully! He may just need a little time to get used to it more, and also he (may) be sensing your hesitation. By not pulling away you definitely did the right thing. Sometimes (I swear on this) a bird new to you must feel like you fully trust them before they will fully trust you as well.
You could also try coaxing a step up with a treat he loves, and sometimes it has to be the RIGHT one lol, I've learned my new 'Too Babii will try just about ANY new trick/training for a raisin, but anything else and she's not interested! = P.
Best of luck, I'm sure you'll get it working before you know it!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts