Request for Ideas

alcmene

Jan 16, 2014
Alabama
Parrots
sun conure- Lucy
cockatiel- Mr Peabody
Since I'm now in possession of the world's sweetest conure, I intend to keep him that way. Busy parrots are happy parrots- so we are going to start training immediately. I'm planning on devoting at least an hr a day to training (broken up in to session lengths he can tolerate, of course). We can do more time if he's responding like he enjoys it.

So I'm looking for ideas- what behaviors should I try to train? Things I've already thought of:

#1 most important- he is going to allow me to touch him all over. Nail trimming, wing examination- all of that sort of "vet visit" type stuff. We'll be working on that first.

2) spinning in a circle

3) allowing himself to be cradled on his back

4) hanging upside down

5) putting a ball through a hoop (or in a cup)

6) high 5

7) play dead

I'm sure there are lots of other great ones I've never even thought of. Lay them on me! Links to articles or videos discussing how to train that behavior are a bonus.

What tricks should I teach my conure?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Those ideas sound really great! :)

I've got a good one... Teaching them to "poop". Not really a trick lol, but practical to know nonetheless...
About every 1/2 hour or so, I'll set them on the cage or perch and say "poop". If they have to go they'll go. Robin is really great, even if he doesn't really have to go yet, but knows he can at least push out a small piece, he will do it. Then I can take him back on the couch or bed (or on me) without fear of soiling... :04:

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
You can get them to play soccor with a ping pong ball =) Barry picked that up really quickly. You can teach them to put hoops on a stick, wave (similar to high 5), flying to and from perch (recall), ring a bell, fetch, bow, gee almost anything you can think up!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
You can teach him to play fetch. When he's on a perch hold a small bowl under him, hand him a item and he'll probably drop it right away, or when bored. Reward him (as the bowl is right under him and it will drop in). Do that a while until he is dropping it well.

• After, start to move the bowl slightly to the left or right. If he is having trouble don't be afraid to bring it back under a few times to boost his confidence.

• Then make it so he has to reach further to place the item in the bowl. Do this until he really has it down.

• Now the hard part! You'll want to move to a table, or the floor. Place the bowl in front of him and hand him the item. When he drops it in reward him. If he's having trouble you can hold the bowl and try to aim to make sure it drops in.

• Once he understands and has it down on the floor/table start doing the whole process over again with moving the bowl slightly left, right, and making him reach for it.

• After that you can start to make him walk a little towards it.

• Eventually you'll want to be able to hand him the item, and for your birdie to walk 2-4 feet to the bowl and place it inside.

With this trick you can teach them basketball, to place items in a basket or mailbox, and do many other fun little tricks.

Most Reactions

Latest posts