rescue remedy

Riojewel

Jun 29, 2012
Pittsburgh
Parrots
Rio, sun conure and Jewel, yellow sided green cheek, Greyson CAG
Has anyone tried Rescue Remedy and had any success for a plucker?

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Never tried rescue success , but if you fid is a plucker I would try and entertain him as much as you can, so pretty much drown him in toys lol. If he is used to wearing harnesses and bird shirts there are these bird shirts for large parrot pluckers

FeatherProtectors - Avian Fashions

mistywaterwoman

Jan 25, 2013
New Orleans, LA
Parrots
2 Peach-faced lovebirds (1 SeaGreen)
I've used it before for my chinchillas, not orally but topically. We put a few drops on their ears and it seems to have a calming effect. I've used this during introductions and also when bringing a new chin into the house, since that makes the others agitated.
I'd be interested to hear if it helps pluckers, since my sister has a sun conure that plucks...

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
That stuff has been around some 15 years at least, though the several clinical studies that have been performed have equated the solution to something along the lines of an expensive placebo.....

Despite claims for Rescue Remedy's stress-easing effects, very few scientific studies have looked at the product's ability to reduce stress or provide any other health benefit. Findings from the few available studies indicate that Rescue Remedy may be no more effective than a placebo when it comes to relieving stress.

In a 2007 study, for instance, researchers randomized 111 nursing students to Rescue Remedy or placebo after leading them to believe that they had to take a surprise test. Study results showed that Rescue Remedy did not significantly differ from the placebo treatment in terms of its anxiety-reducing effects.

In an early clinical trial, published in 1999, researchers took 100 students, giving part the Rescue Remedy or a placebo. The study did not detect any difference in efficacy between Rescue Remedy and placebo in the treatment of the test-related anxiety.

Last edited:

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
Ziva - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I don't know about birds or people, but it does help my dog when we have thunder storms. He will bark and shake when there are thunder storms or fireworks, if I give him the RR he is still upset, but will lay in the bathroom or at my feet quietly. If I do not give it to him he will howl and bark and whimper and cry. It helps to relieve some of the stress for him.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I've never tried any plucking remedies, I would consult a vet before doing so.

With Rosie the main thing that helped was diet, getting her body to, in a sense, reboot itself. Also mental stimulation and finding toys that she might like. A great toy is planet treasures, definitely my favorite brand. Has your bird been vet checked to make sure there isn't any other reason why they are plucking.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts