Rescue volunteer experiences?

PieMaster

Sep 2, 2013
Ohio River Valley
I haven't posted in here for a little while...I was hoping to get a new birdie and was asking some Qs since I haven't had one for a long time. Anyway, I decided to see if I could spend some time volunteering for a bird rescue before actually getting a bird (probably a rescue) of my own - to get more bird experience and just...be helpful. Recently I was in contact with a local rescue, by e-mails and phone calls, and they suggested maybe I could foster a bird for them, which I was eager to do. I was supposed to go and meet the owner, see the birds, etc, but due to severe weather that day, we rescheduled and I was supposed to call before going. I was never able to reach them by phone, and left a message, but they never called me back or e-mailed again :( Not sure what to think...maybe they don't really want help...and now I'm wondering if I should just give up. Sorry, I don't even know why I'm posting this...I guess I'm wondering if it is a typical experience with bird rescues? :confused: When I worked with dog/cat rescues they were eager to have you work/foster and would e-mail frequently. Does anyone know of any good bird rescues that might need volunteers in the Cincy/Dayton/Central KY area? Do you think an avian vet would be good to ask about this?

Also Merry Christmas/Happy New Year/etc to you all, and your fids :D

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I'd contact the rescue again and give them one more chance. There could be a zillion reasons why you didn't get contacted. If they don't respond after the second try then I'd move on.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
I wouldn't give up, after all you are doing it to help the animals, not please the humans. I'm in the Pittsburgh area so I can't suggest any rescues for you, but I have done my share of dog rescues and my focus has always been on the animals, not on the people. Fostering sounds like a very helpful way to aid a parrot in trouble. Don't get too attached unless it is possible for you to adopt any foster.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I think maybe one last effort to get a hold of someone in the rescue...give them a second chance. Do they not allow walk-in visits? Could you just show up and talk to someone in person?

You could also check with your avian vet...I know mine has a program to assist clients in rehoming their fids.

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
I tried to volunteer at a rescue they wanted me to have everyone of my birds tested for I don't know how many diseases was ridiculous...b/c in my opinion your at more risk bringing something home from the rescue than we are bringing some disease there

OP
P

PieMaster

Sep 2, 2013
Ohio River Valley
Thanks all! I think I should take all of your advice and try contacting them yet again. I'm so shy about such things :( but I must persevere! No, they aren't really open to the public, it seems to be pretty small-scale. But like Gary said, I do want to help the animals. If it doesn't work out I will try asking the vet :) Hopefully I can resist adopting any fosters, I resisted loads of dogs and cats and only have one failed foster, heh heh.

I will update this when something happens/doesn't happen?

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
They are very busy at the rescues usually. They don't have time to answer every call and email they get. Please, try to see that you are most likely not the only one who is calling. They rely on volunteers a lot, and I am sure would love to have you there. Don't take it personally.
I had the same problem first. But I kept calling. Ended up taking a tour of their aviary and volunteering there every second sunday. Also I adopted my DYHA from there..... :)

Most Reactions