OP
Shela

Shela

Apr 18, 2012
Media
CA
Parrots
"Pollo" Golden Conure
We have speculated that maybe the owners are on vacation and don't know it's missing. Maybe it belonged to an elderly couple who aren't very mobile. Several locals have said that perhaps it's an illegal bird from Mexico... Not uncommon for this area according to them. I just don't get that feeling though with the closed leg band. We knew of someone who left their bird with someone when they went on vacation and when they got home there was a different bird in the cage. Wasn't even the same kind of bird! Aparantly the bird had got out and they thought any bird would do... Can you imagine?

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
What a beautiful parrot!! I am so glad you rescued him before something bad happened. He is in good hands now!

OP
Shela

Shela

Apr 18, 2012
Media
CA
Parrots
"Pollo" Golden Conure

If this doesn't post right, I at least got it to post in the image gallery under Conures.

Well, bless my soul! I had to see it to believe it! What is the bird's personality like?

Birdy update... First of all, I have dubbed him or her 'Pollo', Short for Apollo meaning 'sun god'.
Pollo's personality is coming out more since becoming more comfortable with us. Pollo's favorite spot during the day is on top of the cage where he can see his reflection in the mirror. S/he holds on to the cage and flaps his wings like he is going to fly off with the cage. (Added bonus, that causes a little birdy bell to ring) Sometimes he will just hold his wings extended out like a guy flexing his muscles in the mirror. He likes to put his head down low and charge across the top of the cage like a bull. He likes to turn his head upside-down. To clean his beak he likes to put his beak on the cage and run in circles. He will be quiet by himself but if you walk in and then out, he will screech loud for about 7 seconds. I tell him "Hello" everytime I enter the room and "good bye" everytime I leave. I ignore him when he screeches and pay attention to him when it sounds more like chirping or talking. I think I have heard "Hello" twice now but it could be wishful thinking.
Oh... biting... He's done that twice... Not really a mean bite but more of a slow bite with increasing pressure until I say "Ow" and then he quits. He still doesn't want to get on a finger so we'll have to work on that.
Pollo's very active, funny, and enjoyable... I like him alot! :orange:

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
I sure hope no one pops up to claim him ;)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
OMG that is the most gorgeous bird I have ever seen. You were blessed to have this bird choose you. Sounds like it has not been lost for very long to look so nice in feather. Do you think he flew out of a car in that parking lot? Did you check parrot 911 to see if her is there? I know you want to keep this little one but please make a posting of finding this bird here http://www.911parrotalert.com/report-found-bird/

Last edited:

kobe629

Jul 25, 2011
Parrots
Monte - Queen of Bavaria
Willow - Blue and Gold Macaw
Wow you are so lucky..I have a golden conure too..If it gets too much for you I can help take it off your hands..:)

OP
Shela

Shela

Apr 18, 2012
Media
CA
Parrots
"Pollo" Golden Conure
If it gets too much for you I can help take it off your hands..:)

I hear that ALOT! The last time was 2 days ago when I contacted a breeder to ask him what leg band id he used.

Your birdy is alot fluffier than Pollo. Pollo had plucked some chest feathers before we found her but they are growing back now.

You have an awesome looking bird! Very hansome!

Since you bumped my post, I will post an update.

First of all we have found that she is probably a female based on some sexual behavior that she was displaying. We also bought her a huge cage when it became apparent that we might have her for a long time. I can't tell if her wings were clipped or not. They don't appear to be but I just can't tell. She did manage to land on a high picture frame once leading us to believe that maybe she CAN fly. Because of that (and exhausting the local search) we have expanded our search. I have been contacting breeders and owners of lost QoB's in California. We also still get several contacts per week from people who have lost birds but so far none are a match for her. All that being said, there have been jokes made in the house that maybe someone pushed her out the window when she got too loud, lol... And I wasn't sure if she was talking before but she does say "Hello" and "Okay, okay,okay". Everyone I contact has offered to take her off my hands! I would feel awful if I did that and then the owner showed up. :orange:

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I am glad she is doing well in your care. I do know of one Golden conure lost April of last year in Illinois. The bird was a female and never found.

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
Oh I'd be so heartbroken if I lost such a gorgeous bird. Well, I'd be heartbroken if I lost one of my babies I have now. I'd have posts everywhere in every store, at every vets office looking for my bird. I'd be like Adam Sandler in Billy Madison about "The Puppy Who Lost His Way" lol I wouldn't just give up trying to find my pet.

OP
Shela

Shela

Apr 18, 2012
Media
CA
Parrots
"Pollo" Golden Conure
I am glad she is doing well in your care. I do know of one Golden conure lost April of last year in Illinois. The bird was a female and never found.

Wow... that brings up an interesting thought. Getting her across state lines would require a permit. What a hassle that could become, not to mention expensive!

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Oh, I don't think your bird is this missing bird. If it was they would have to of smuggled it. I am glad you found this beautiful bird!

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Whoa! what i wouldn't do to have a golden conure, yet alone find one! your taking great care of him, whether or not you find the owner, I'm sure he will be in great hands :).

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Ohhh and it's a young one too. How nice. Wish it was mine.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hello Shiela? What part of California are you from? I too have found a golden conure recently

FYI this thread is from 2012 and the OP has not been active for six years.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I think you are the new owner of a Golden Conure, who are very very special species of COncure. I hope you take great care of hi/her, as they are CITES listed ans rare parrots, and make wonderful pets. COngratulation DAY.

Most Reactions

Latest posts