Parrots
Squirrel-GCC (suspected male),
Alice- female cockatiel,
Beattle- male lineolated parakeet,
No name yet- female lineolated parakeet
Dingo- male American budgie,
Darwin- male English Budgie
Hello,
I'm skipping about, joining forums and researching birds like crazy. I've wanted a bird for 10 years, and may be in the position this year to get one, but first the research! I will have so many questions, so be prepared!
I have my list narrowed down to Linnies, Meyers, Maroon-bellied or Green Cheeked Conures, Cockatiels if my boyfriend doesn't react to the dust, and possible budgies, though I'm not particularly fond of them.
Look forward to picking some brains! :D
-Katelyn

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Good for you doing your research first. Not all birds have powder down. Cockatoos, Cockatiels and African Grey Parrots are often referred to as Powder Down Birds. These species, unlike other hookbills, produce a significant amount of white somewhat sticky, oily powder that becomes airborne during preening and feather ruffling.

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
Welcome! Please feel free to ask questions about the various species as you will get a lot of different opinions from the members about their experiences and can hopefully form your own in response to them. I have a green cheek and he's great so I am biased there! :)

Mar 18, 2010
Florida
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo
I suggest you consider going to a parrot rescue for several reasons:
-You will give a bird in need a loving home.
-They will help you find a bird that will work for you and will continue to answer questions and concerns once the adoption is complete.
-most rescues will allow you to trade (if you will) for a different bird if the one you adopt is not a good fit for you. (I know that could be misunderstood, however the reality is that these birds need to have the "Right home".... A bird may be great in one home, but not so great in another.
-Please don't Shop, Insted Adopt, as there are WAY TO MANY OF THESE BIRDS IN SHELTERS!
Please don't support breeders!

hercam

Apr 14, 2011
Hi,

My Aunt is looking for a bird and I saw your post about breeders and I was not aware that she could adopt from a rescue. A friend of hers suggested a breeder and I wasn't quite sure that was the way to go and wondered if you had any suggestions. The breeder she has talked to is in Bushnell and frankly, I have found only one comment about him and it disturbed me. My Aunt loves birds. She knows the commitment it takes to take care of a bird. I just want to make sure that she doesn't choose from someone who frankly doesn't care about their birds and treats their animals incorrectly causing health problems. :white1:

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I agree with printer bird, my green cheek is a wonderful bird! :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Not all breeders are bad! Some are committed in breeding responsibly. Im all for rescue birds but when you deal with a novice, its complicated and some do give up because they don't know how to deal with issues when they arise. Of course there are nicer rescue birds too. At the same time its the novice and the abusers that make the birds they are at the rescue center. For me, I always suggest smaller birds to start with, they're as much fun as the big ones.

Gandolf

Mar 29, 2011
Media
Albums
Lincoln, Ne
Parrots
Goffin's Cockatoo, Congo African Grey, 3 Conures, 2 Cockatiels, 6 Love Birds and 4 Budgies
I suggest you consider going to a parrot rescue for several reasons:
-You will give a bird in need a loving home.
-They will help you find a bird that will work for you and will continue to answer questions and concerns once the adoption is complete.
-most rescues will allow you to trade (if you will) for a different bird if the one you adopt is not a good fit for you. (I know that could be misunderstood, however the reality is that these birds need to have the "Right home".... A bird may be great in one home, but not so great in another.
-Please don't Shop, Instead Adopt, as there are WAY TO MANY OF THESE BIRDS IN SHELTERS!
Please don't support breeders!

DITTO from me. Thanks for researching before jumping in......I would suggest a Conure for a good starter bird.

Good luck :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts