Responses To Harnessed Parrots

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
It is nosy! I would never answer and just turn. :cool: But I have to wonder, why would they want to know? Go look for one yourself. XD

Once you get your own bird (whatever bird that may be, and whenever that may be), and you start taking him/her out in public, you'll be surprised at a LOT of things that come your way, I promise.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Ppl just love asking questions about kiwi. She doesn't look like a parakeet so ppl are confused as to what she is. Then when I tell them she is related to the Amazon, then Ppl who know amazons are shocked when they see their lil pint size cousin the parrotlet. There is always a conversation, and she loves going out and all the attention. Even though she can be aggressive by nature, anyone can hold her, and we encourage it.

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
It is nosy! I would never answer and just turn. :cool: But I have to wonder, why would they want to know? Go look for one yourself. XD

Once you get your own bird (whatever bird that may be, and whenever that may be), and you start taking him/her out in public, you'll be surprised at a LOT of things that come your way, I promise.

I'm going to guess it's a never ending list, huh? o_O It's quite interesting, at the weird and dumb things that people do.

skylala

Jun 19, 2013
Hunter Valley, NSW. Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Jiraiya
I usually get positive responses from people when I walk my Eclectus (We take him out when we walk the dog on popular dog-walking areas).

Some people want to pet him. I remember one little boy who was autistic and his dad asked if he could pet him. The boy loved him.
I have been asked for people to hold him while they take photos which I allow (after warning them that he can, and does, bite, and then letting them decide if they want to hold him)
Then of course, just people generally looking and smiling and pointing. Not many people see birds out for walks.

Argh, but one time, I was getting out of the car with bird, and these awful teenage girls in the next car started laughing at me and making very rude comments.
"Who walks a bird?!?! HAHAHAHHA" among other things...
I could barely hold my anger in. Teenage girls in 'packs' are among the worst human beings on the planet, I swear... lol.

But, I know I am doing the right thing by the bird, by allowing him to see more of the world then just the house or cage.

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
I usually get positive responses from people when I walk my Eclectus (We take him out when we walk the dog on popular dog-walking areas).

Some people want to pet him. I remember one little boy who was autistic and his dad asked if he could pet him. The boy loved him.
I have been asked for people to hold him while they take photos which I allow (after warning them that he can, and does, bite, and then letting them decide if they want to hold him)
Then of course, just people generally looking and smiling and pointing. Not many people see birds out for walks.

Argh, but one time, I was getting out of the car with bird, and these awful teenage girls in the next car started laughing at me and making very rude comments.
"Who walks a bird?!?! HAHAHAHHA" among other things...
I could barely hold my anger in. Teenage girls in 'packs' are among the worst human beings on the planet, I swear... lol.

But, I know I am doing the right thing by the bird, by allowing him to see more of the world then just the house or cage.

Gave me a good ol' laugh. Thanks! :cool:

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
I am very excited at the prospect of taking "birdie" out with a harness. I'm preparing for a lot of strange looks and comments!

How do you all figure out what stores/places allow you to bring your birds in?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I am very excited at the prospect of taking "birdie" out with a harness. I'm preparing for a lot of strange looks and comments!

How do you all figure out what stores/places allow you to bring your birds in?

Me too!

You'd be surprised! Very recently, of all places I happened across a lady in STARBUCKS with her harnessed blue and gold macaw. Being a food serving establishment I was surprised since most people wouldn't have the cajones to bring pets into these kinds of places, though I don't mind at all. My first time seeing a harnessed parrot in real life. Thankfully I'd already been reading this forum so when my coworkers looked quizzically at me, I was able to explain. We said a quick "hello, beautiful macaw" and let her go on her merry way.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Awesome Chris-md! We call ahead and ask at restaurants to see if they have an issue. It's only right, and respectful. Places like Home Depots and Lowes we take them without a call ahead.

We don't take them to indoor only restaurants, or grocery stores. I did take Venus into a small outlet store called Burkes and made a friend. She has a CAG, 15 years old, Venus being there opened that door.

Don't be afraid to call ahead and ask. Eateries, if they don't have an outdoor eating area we don't go there. That's out of respect for the restaurant and the patrons.

denaw

May 5, 2015
Willis, Texas
Parrots
"Had" DYH Amazon "Elvis"
Another question. Does everyone have the full suit on their birds? If not what do you do when the bird potty's? Do you carry extra paper towels and baggies? I know..crazy question but I had to ask...:smile004:
Dena

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Nah, I have the aviator harness and love it. I carry napkins with me in case of an accident (and there are ALWAYS accidents)

SaminHarness004.jpg

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
You take the birds out to eat too, Wendy? Or just for walks?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
You take the birds out to eat too, Wendy? Or just for walks?

Take them out to eat in Jersey? I don't think they'd even let me enter with one, unless it's an outdoor eatery. :cool:

I've taken them to our local Wildlife Reservoir, around the block (or two), and they love being out when we're having a picnic in the back yard. We always share food with them here. :D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mine isn't harnessed, so I don't have an answer for that. My usual answer is "she's trained to stay put."

But I'm always amazed at the number of people who come up to me and ask me if "that's a real parrot" on my shoulder...

How many people walk around with a FAKE parrot on their shoulder, I mean besides the Captain Morgan Rum guy doing a promo at a bar... and the occasional guy in a Halloween pirate costume.

"Nah. It's a Robo-parrot. The real ones bite and poop all over everything."

denaw

May 5, 2015
Willis, Texas
Parrots
"Had" DYH Amazon "Elvis"
Mark I have at least a year to study all your insight, but I'm sure I will never have the knowledge that you have nor the confidence to take my bird out withought the harness :D:22: But I DO want to take it out and socialize it, so a harness it will be.
Dena

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I was taking Venus out without a harness because she can't fly. Her wing clip was bad, all were clipped except the feathers at the tip of the wing and by her back. That has stopped because her feathers are coming in and they are gorgeous so she's wearing her harness on outings now. And before anyone says a clipped bird can fly, yes they can if all of their feathers are not cut, she is unable to get lift but in a few months she will so it will be time to teach her to fly. Love it!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mark I have at least a year to study all your insight, but I'm sure I will never have the knowledge that you have nor the confidence to take my bird out withought the harness :D:22: But I DO want to take it out and socialize it, so a harness it will be.
Dena

Nothing at all wrong with harness training. In fact, it's a good idea.

I've got two that I trust fully flighted, no matter what...

Maggie is fully flighted and recalled.

Sweepea is fully flighted and recalled.

Sally is fully flighted and recalled.

Those are my out and about birds.

I have harnessed sweepea early on, because she had a nasty habit of spooking on me... But it's probably been ten years since I had a harness on her.

I take Maggie with me to Starbucks in the mornings. Set her down on the back of a chair, FULLY FLIGHTED, go in, get my coffee... come out, she's right where I left her.

She sits outside on her playstand at the laundrymat when I do laundry. Self entertains when I load or fold clothes. In between time is our one on one times...

And all of mine play in the tree in the front yard on nice days.

MAGGIE has watched the fireworks with us on the 4th of July... fully flighted, no harness.

SALLY has been to the Carnaval parade in San Francisco, 450,000 people... floats, drums, firecrackers, strangers...

They have been UBER startle trained. Nothing phases them.

And if it does, they're so bonded that they get closer to me, knowing I will protect them.

Neither of those two have ever flown off on me in public.

I used to free fly Sally, my amazon... like every day, after work we'd go for a walk, and do some flying, and play in a tree...

THAT is why I feel confident with mine.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts