Right now Salty is.....

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Julio does not get upset about cleaning, unless it is happen around where he is at. Kind of like; it is important for the staff to complete their work, but disturbing ME, where I am at!! No!! Full on Display with warnings! Once the other areas are completed, he of course inspects them to assure they are to his liking, while allowing the staff to clean where he was.

Its clear he knows, he owns the home and all those lucky enough to be allowed to live within!
You have a staff? Is it a business you have?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
You have inspired me! I recently took Ona's big cage outside and deep cleaned it with the garden hose but I still need to clean her play gym. I think the steam cleaner would be perfect for that!

Ona gets mad when I change the papers in her cage or clean it :rolleyes: Screams the whole time. I always say "excuse me for giving you a sanitary environment and touching your things!"
My eight budgies love to watch me clean and vacuum! They sing and chirp to the sound of the vacuum cleaner. They don't even mind when I stick the big black snake (vacuum hose) into the bottom of their cages. They don't bat an eye!
To clean their cages thoroughly I take them apart and take all the parts into the shower with me wirh a scrub brush. The occupants are moved to a temporary cage I take out for the purpose. The untame guys don't like it when I have to grab them wirh a hand towel to move them but they get over it quickly. I try to time the deep clean with vet visits for pedicures. I only do the deep shower cleaning a few times a year because it's a lot of work. I wash out the bottom trays much more often. Usually vacuum attachments remove most of the debris trapped in crevices really well.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So we are 2 weeks into training Salty with the roller skates. They are kryptonite to him! I am just up to getting him to come closer and closer to one of the skates. Ist treat no problem, 2nd one a bit closer and he is hesitant, 3rd one, closer, he is definitely looking, weighing out the situation and the 4th one, closest, he does that whole parrot thing where they reach a f-a-r as they can without moving their feet, just to snatch the last one. Hee hee, I been bringing all 4 closer and closer every night! We'll get this for sure.......eventually.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So we are 2 weeks into training Salty with the roller skates. They are kryptonite to him! I am just up to getting him to come closer and closer to one of the skates. Ist treat no problem, 2nd one a bit closer and he is hesitant, 3rd one, closer, he is definitely looking, weighing out the situation and the 4th one, closest, he does that whole parrot thing where they reach a f-a-r as they can without moving their feet, just to snatch the last one. Hee hee, I been bringing all 4 closer and closer every night! We'll get this for sure.......eventually.

Yup, at some point, the Amazon calls enough, stop! It's all part of the process and experience. And, why I love Amazons!

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
Can’t wait!!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
9/1 update on Salty and the skates. We are at the point where he takes a treat balanced on the perch of the skate and will pick the skate up by that to give it to me. Thats a good sign, if hes not afraid to pick it up in his beak, he will be less 'fraid to stand on if. This has been a tough trick for him to get, like 1/2 as hard as the harness was. That puppy took us a year or more to get to the point where 'taint no big deal putting it on. It so odd when he doesn't get a trick in a few tries, which is Salty's usual MO.

Lately he has been asking for a scratch both at lights out time and at his actual bedtime. Not a lot just like a reassuring scratchie.

I swapped out his 1" diameter sleeping stick with one that is like
1-3/4" in diameter, much better size for his clodhopper size feets. He took to it first night. Last time i tried to use a larger one, he rejected it and started sleeping on another perch.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
9/1 update on Salty and the skates. We are at the point where he takes a treat balanced on the perch of the skate and will pick the skate up by that to give it to me. Thats a good sign, if hes not afraid to pick it up in his beak, he will be less 'fraid to stand on if. This has been a tough trick for him to get, like 1/2 as hard as the harness was. That puppy took us a year or more to get to the point where 'taint no big deal putting it on. It so odd when he doesn't get a trick in a few tries, which is Salty's usual MO.

Lately he has been asking for a scratch both at lights out time and at his actual bedtime. Not a lot just like a reassuring scratchie.

1-3/4" in diameter, much better size for his clodhopper size feets. He took to it first night. Last time i tried to use a larger one, he rejected it and started sleeping on another perch.
Salty is certainly one of a kind. Persistence and training have their fruit! Thanks for sharing him with us.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

With a legacy of rapid learning one would think that all will continue at that rate! But one is also moving though things that for whatever reason are not radioactive. As you have seen, there is no reasoning to it, other than this specific item is radioactive!! Plus as his ages, he has become more careful regarding 'New Stuff'!

Gotta Love Amazons!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Just goes to show you that Salty, like us humans, is "human" and as he ages things he once rejected now feel okay, if not really good. Like nice wide perches for his big bird feet. More stability has to be a good thing when you sleep standing on one foot with your head turned and tucked between your shoulder blades, especially when. You're no longer a spring chicken!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Last night Salty put hiis foot on the perch part of the roller skate, and did it twice! Geri and I made sure he felt our appreciation in the progress, lots of YEAH! and Good Boys, and Salty always reacts well when we lavish the praise. Despite treating this prop as if it was made of kryptonite, he fights thru it if I ask him to. Gotta love his heart and will. Yeah, buddy!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
YES! Both feet on the skate,s one on each skate! Progress!

And today was make chop day;

3 head Broccoli
1 bundle Dandelion greens
2 bundles carrot greens
1-1/2 bags matchstick carrots'
1 radicchio
1 bag spring mix
2 bags baby arugula
3 ears corn
tons of habaneros
1/2 ton jalapeno
1/4 ton green chilis
1 each red, yellow and orange peppers
1 +1/2 bag shredded Brussel sprouts
5 red beets + greens
1/2 lb of these tiny tiny shell pasta, single ingredient

35 quart size freezer baggies, each w/ 3-4 days of chop. I am finding that if you remove as much excess water and juice from the chop, it thaws much better. I line the mixing bowl ( 36" stainless bowl) with several layers of paper towels, and let all the peppers drain in a colander or sieve before adding to the mix. Much better results.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
YES! Both feet on the skate,s one on each skate! Progress!

And today was make chop day;

3 head Broccoli
1 bundle Dandelion greens
2 bundles carrot greens
1-1/2 bags matchstick carrots'
1 radicchio
1 bag spring mix
2 bags baby arugula
3 ears corn
tons of habaneros
1/2 ton jalapeno
1/4 ton green chilis
1 each red, yellow and orange peppers
1 +1/2 bag shredded Brussel sprouts
5 red beets + greens
1/2 lb of these tiny tiny shell pasta, single ingredient

35 quart size freezer baggies, each w/ 3-4 days of chop. I am finding that if you remove as much excess water and juice from the chop, it thaws much better. I line the mixing bowl ( 36" stainless bowl) with several layers of paper towels, and let all the peppers drain in a colander or sieve before adding to the mix. Much better results.
Yes totally agree, draining excess water helps a lot. Thanks for the recipe too. I’ve never thought of brussel sprouts.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
The shredded Brussel sprouts in bags is the way to go. Last time, I cut whole ones in half, but when zapping the nights serving, they are still very cold in the middle. If i increase the time, then the rest of the chop becomes way too hot. I am only zapping the serving for say 28-32 seconds. Salty likes his chop at 99-105oF initially.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
The shredded Brussel sprouts in bags is the way to go. Last time, I cut whole ones in half, but when zapping the nights serving, they are still very cold in the middle. If i increase the time, then the rest of the chop becomes way too hot. I am only zapping the serving for say 28-32 seconds. Salty likes his chop at 99-105oF initially.
I have to say, Salty and Kokkie must be communicating on the parrot web because Kokkie is fussy about her food’s temp as well. I will easily adjust temps for Kokkie but when Hubs or Daughter ask for some help, I tell them they have two hands. 😂

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
What helps enormously is having one of these little heat sensing guns, that spot check temperature. Got mine from Home Depot, but available on line everywhere, <$30 , a worthwhile investment.

Here is the one I got:

Digital heat thermometer
shopping

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Good gravy, I see I haven't updated Salty's thread since Sept! Life in the Wrench-onian facility has changed a lot since then. My lovely wife had 2 heart/kidney/lung near failures and has spent the last 3 months (12 weeks) with 11 of those weeks either in hospital or in re-hab facilities. She is improving, slowly but we anticipate she will still be in re-hab past Christmas. 😫😩☹️

WHat this means for Salty is he is alone during the day. Geri spent most of her day in the same room (or area, with our open floor plan house) with Salty, and he is used to her presence. I've been making a point to have my coffee breaks and lunch time upstairs, with him, and I leave the TV on, tuned onto some nature shows, or Y/T videos with parrots in them. It seems to help.

We have been making small progress on Salty learning to use the set of skates I got for him. He'll stand on them OK, even when they are staggered, ie perch part is not on the same position as the other, and he will let me move the left or right one forward while his foot is on them. But its proving hard to convey to him that HE should be moving the skate, not me, THis trick is harder then both he or I realized initially. For folks who have not been following his life-story thread, Salty usually learns a new trick in 2 or 3 training sessions, he is that smart. We've been working on this particular trick for MONTHS now, with training sessions every night, so you can get a feel for how hard this one is to learn. I have no doubts he will get it, eventually - both he and I are far too stubborn to give up.

THese two things have really changed the dynamics of our daily lives, as you can imagine. Obviously, but also subtly too. I am tempted to string more overhead play chains in the living "room" areas, giving Salty more access to places, like the couch in front of the picture window, an area that I usually carry him to. In our family, Geri is known as the "voice of reason" and would shoot down ideas like this! With her being in re-hab so long, there is no one to ride herd on dumb ideas like this, and tell me "NO!". I miss that 'voice of reason'!.

I am planning to bring Salty to her re-hab facility sometime this week, to cheer her and the other patients (NOT inmates) up and work on Salty's life long socializing skills. We'll see how that goes!

I hope everyone's Holiday season is going a bit better then ours is presently. We are hoping and praying for a 2024 that is safer and more pleasant then the end tail of '23 has been.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Good gravy, I see I haven't updated Salty's thread since Sept! Life in the Wrench-onian facility has changed a lot since then. My lovely wife had 2 heart/kidney/lung near failures and has spent the last 3 months (12 weeks) with 11 of those weeks either in hospital or in re-hab facilities. She is improving, slowly but we anticipate she will still be in re-hab past Christmas. 😫😩☹️

WHat this means for Salty is he is alone during the day. Geri spent most of her day in the same room (or area, with our open floor plan house) with Salty, and he is used to her presence. I've been making a point to have my coffee breaks and lunch time upstairs, with him, and I leave the TV on, tuned onto some nature shows, or Y/T videos with parrots in them. It seems to help.

We have been making small progress on Salty learning to use the set of skates I got for him. He'll stand on them OK, even when they are staggered, ie perch part is not on the same position as the other, and he will let me move the left or right one forward while his foot is on them. But its proving hard to convey to him that HE should be moving the skate, not me, THis trick is harder then both he or I realized initially. For folks who have not been following his life-story thread, Salty usually learns a new trick in 2 or 3 training sessions, he is that smart. We've been working on this particular trick for MONTHS now, with training sessions every night, so you can get a feel for how hard this one is to learn. I have no doubts he will get it, eventually - both he and I are far too stubborn to give up.

THese two things have really changed the dynamics of our daily lives, as you can imagine. Obviously, but also subtly too. I am tempted to string more overhead play chains in the living "room" areas, giving Salty more access to places, like the couch in front of the picture window, an area that I usually carry him to. In our family, Geri is known as the "voice of reason" and would shoot down ideas like this! With her being in re-hab so long, there is no one to ride herd on dumb ideas like this, and tell me "NO!". I miss that 'voice of reason'!.

I am planning to bring Salty to her re-hab facility sometime this week, to cheer her and the other patients (NOT inmates) up and work on Salty's life long socializing skills. We'll see how that goes!

I hope everyone's Holiday season is going a bit better then ours is presently. We are hoping and praying for a 2024 that is safer and more pleasant then the end tail of '23 has been.
Wrenchie, you and Salty are two of my oldest friends here, and you have both become a part of my daily life and thoughts. I feel as if I'm chatting with a neighbor.
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease give my best to Geri. I'll have her in my heart and prayers.
Thinking of Tinker, too.
And your handsome brood.
And Salty, always.
But mostly you.
xoxoxo

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our Julio loved visiting my dear Mother while she was in the care facility. The combination of his joy for my Mother and a chance to be center stage with an audience around him was more than acceptable to HRH! His visits always brought a smile to her face! And, she enjoyed watch him light-up the faces of her friends and their joy when he would tour the room from on high! The down thrust of his wings always cause a few hairdos to fluff a bit. Smiles abound! I am certain that Salty will bring as much, if not more!!

I know for certain that both your dear Geri and Salty will love seeing each other! And the others will Love seeing Salty!! Sounds like a Win, Win, Win thing to me Good Friend!

Love, Hugs and Prays my friend from the Boat's Harbor!!

Last edited:
OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Quick update. Tried teaching Salty a new trick tonight, so I could video it for a presentation I am making soon for the local parrot society. i wanted to show how we introduce a new trick and how Salty learns it. But the lil smarty pants learned it in 1 try! Thats not a good teaching video.

As I said above the Long Island Parrot Society asked me to do a presentation at their in-person meeting in March. I am pretty jazzed about that, usually they have nationally known people in aviculture, Authors and directors of parrot sanctuaries for CITES listed parrots, this kind of person. I suppose some of the Board members have seen some of Salty's videos. I am gonna call it "Salty and I - How We Got Here".

Geri is still in rehab and will be past X-mas, so having Salty visit the facility is a must! She still hasn't seen Tinker's grave. We buried her not in our traditional place for past pets (under a BIG boulder with the names carved into it) but in her favorite sunning spot in the backyard.

Roudybush, the maker of the only pellet Salty eats, is suddenly no longer available at any of the box store type pet stores here on Long Island, I had to buy some on-line and the bag had moths!! Grrr! I hope this is not them retracting from the parrot food sector. It was too hard and long to get Salty to see this as food.

Most Reactions

Latest posts