Right parrot breed for me?

Over9kofBorg

Sep 8, 2010
Hi there, I've been researching to find out what the best type of breed for me will be. I don't own a parrot, but plan to. I don't want this bird to be a thing where it lives for a couple years and dies, I'd like a lifelong companion if possible living 20+ years. I've kinda been wary of large parrots like Macaws and even African Greys simply because they have huge beaks and getting bitten by them looks really painful... So if at all possible, if there is a breed that's less nippy than some of the others, that's a big thing for me. The biggest thing though is I'd really like a bird that is affectionate and snuggly. A companion that will just kinda chill on my hand or shoulder while I watch TV, curl up and let me pet it and maybe even curl up and take a nap with me.

I admit I do have two dogs and a cat, but it has already been conveyed that any interaction between them will be careful and under intense supervision. I would keep the bird caged in my room which is inaccessible to any other animal in the house. I'd like to be able to go around the house with it when it's out of its cage as well. I have several members of my family living in my house at the moment...6 in fact, including my grandparents so I hope to keep my bird well socialized. I don't mind if the bird chirps or talks a bit, but screeching will wake up most of the house. I work usually later in the day for about 6 hours so I don't know if there are certain birds that are more patient or easily entertained than others, but that may be a factor. I'm going out on Sunday with my dad to visit a breeder. I've kind of been looking at Senegals but all my information comes from pet store descriptions and wikipedia. I thought it'd be a good idea to get some input from actual parrot owners.

So any suggestions would be awesome!

parrotguy12

Aug 19, 2010
Media
Parrots
American Yellowface parrotlet "paquito"
Green IRN "Georgey"
2 budgies "lemon" and "sky"
well i go for parrotlets, small sized parrots with a personality x's 10, big energy in a small body, and likes being petted, and if u want a talkative parrot one will be (indian ringnecks, senegal,pionus, whistling and singing to, cockatiels). those for me to you are great parrots, well all of the parrots are great but for your fam n you, those parrots will be good

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
Hi,

What it sounds like is that you want a "side pet", like a rabbit or lizard or fish, that won't be part of what's going on and you can play with when you feel like it. You can get away with that with perhaps a budgie or a canary (as long as you do spend time with it every day) but not any other species. If this is what you want, I recommend a lizard or turtle or rabbit!

If this is not the case, read on.

You are probably unlikely to find a snuggly parrot, they all may be a bit snuggly as babies but few stay that way. A parrot will be more like a dog for playing and teaching with the personality of a haughty cat (they will let you touch them if they deem you worthy, you cannot force any interaction on them, has to be on their own terms), if that makes sense.

For big birds, if you treat them right you won't have to worry about their beaks. Small parrots can hurt you just as much as a big bird if they put their mind to it. I guess a big macaw could break your finger if it wanted to and you let it, but it would have to be a pretty messed-up bird! They only bite to tell you to go away, and if you can watch their body language and know when they want you gone and respond to that, then they won't need to bite to tell you to go away.

It is a bad idea to keep the bird permanently in your room. It needs to be in the centre of things that are happening. You will get a screecher in the very least if you do that, possibly worse! A parrot has to be part of the family the same as a house-dog is. It can't get shut up in another room when you don't want to play with it, it will be part of things all the time whether you want it to or not.

As for dogs and cats, you can teach them to leave your bird alone fairly effectively with a water-squirter. It also helps to have a big bird if you want them to be able to be out in the same room together, as if a cat extends a curious nose toward the bird, it can be rewarded with a big chomp.

With that many people in the family, they all have to "own" the pet. It can't be one person's responsibility and the rest ignore it: they all have to learn to keep flyscreens on the windows, keep doors shut, watch where they're stepping, watch for parrots sitting on doorframes before shutting doors, etc. The parrot will belong to the whole family not just you, and they all need to be educated. They all need to be part of the parrot's family and talk to and play with it too.

If you think of getting a parrot like getting a pet that is a toddler mixed with a cat and dog that can fly and get to places you'd never expect, and is always trying to get into trouble with its curiosity but isn't as capable of getting out of it as a cat, and loves to play and needs to be included like a dog, and understands what is going on around it like a toddler, then you'll be in the right mindset.

If this isn't what you want, please get a rabbit!!!

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Good advice from above members.

With that many people in the family, they all have to "own" the pet. It can't be one person's responsibility and the rest ignore it: they all have to learn to keep flyscreens on the windows, keep doors shut, watch where they're stepping, watch for parrots sitting on doorframes before shutting doors, etc. The parrot will belong to the whole family not just you, and they all need to be educated. They all need to be part of the parrot's family and talk to and play with it too.

Thanks QC - I can't stress enough how important the above point is. When I got Eddie I explained to every one, plus I gave them a 2-3 page document explaining what living with a Parrot would be like. At the time they were very excited and all for it 'yep, yep sounds great'. Well unfortunately it must have been a bit of a novelty for some of them, because it has now 'worn off' :(. I am now the only person who really gives him any attention (I love him as if he were my son lol). Its not that no one cares, its that they don't understand. Because I am not always home, sometimes he may miss out on some of his daily attention and has turned to screaming. This just makes people real angry and stresses me out, because there is little I can do to prevent it without their help.

Also, consider your future. I don't just mean 2-3 years from now, I'm talking 20-50 years from now. If your young, do you plan to go away and study, move overseas, have a career where you are away from home most of the day? Although you can't predict everything in your life, the fact is, parrots live for a looooong time and are an absolutely monstrous commitment. They really are like children that never grow up and move away. They demand, scream, throw tantrums, get sick, make you spend money and drive you nuts:rolleyes:.

LOL sorry, I just had to tell it like it is, no point in sugar coating it. NOW to the positive things. Being owned by a parrot can be such a joyful experience. They become great friends and you will find out very quickly just how smart they are (you simply won't believe it). They can learn to talk and understand what you are saying to them. They will get up to all sorts of little mischievous activities that will have you in stitches and tears.

Of course every bird is an individual, but they still have commonalities
I hear green cheek conures are generally good cuddlers, very interactive, playful and such. Perhaps you could look into them and other conure species.

All birds have the ability to be loud, there is no such thing as a quiet species, just comparatively quiet. Eclectus are considered to be 'quiet', but let me tell you, mine gives some of the cockatoos across the road a run for their money in a screaming match lol.

I've droned on enough, good luck with your decision, fire any more questions you have at us and we will try and help.

Welcome to the forum btw, great to have you with us.

Last edited:

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
I should also add that Cockatiels make great 'hang out' birds. They are not always cuddly, but mine CRAVES to be on me when she is out. She loves nothing more than to climb up my arm, plonk herself on my shoulder and go to sleep lol. I sometimes forget she's there :). When she is out, she is generally only 1 of 3 places - her cage top, occasionally on her play stand, but usually.... my shoulder hehe.

Most Reactions

Latest posts