Rio got hurt today! :(

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Im so sorry to hear that!!! I hope your poor baby didn't suffer....and I can only imagine how your feeling right now....<<<<<Hugs!>>>>>>

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Oh I didnt see that..... I can't imagine how much pain your going through.... :(

OP
Rio Mom

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Thank you all for your thoughts and care. We buried him in the woods behind our house. We wrapped one of each of our shirts around him, and put in his favorite toy, and his favorite treats. This is all so horrible...... After we buried him, we left the house for a while, just to get out. Coming home was so sad, not hearing him call to me as he always did, and coming to sit in the living room without a bird buddy on my shoulder.

Dankid

May 15, 2011
I am sorry for your loss. I am new to the site but through my searches for information I have seen many of your past threads regarding Rio. My condolences to you and your family on your loss.

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Savannah, 4 year old Hahns Macaw
I am so very sorry for your loss. It was heartbreaking and I wish you all the best. I couldn't imagine having to go through what you have been through.

I don't think that matters at this point, but IMO you should stay away from that vet in the future.

I would not stay away from your vet due to this. Jeremy, Rio Mom said in her post that the vet said Rio "had a punctured air sac where the bite was." Which would be the cause for such a quick death. No matter, the shock of the attack itself and an open wound could have been cause enough. It is not fair to the vet for you to base judgment on a situation that you were not there for or know the exact cause of death.

OP
Rio Mom

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I think it was probably a combination of things that led to his death. The bite, which punctured his air sac, infection from the bite, he became further stressed from the car ride to the vet, (he became a lot worse in the car), and the injection itself was stressful. I really appreciated that this vet whom I had never been to before was willing to see him, and showed him and us care and concern. Although this vet is an hour from me, I think I'm going to start taking my dogs/cats to her, since this is the third time my usual vet has refused to see a pet of mine or my family in an emergency. I do hope that it wasn't the injection itself that caused my baby to die.

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
This made me cry for real :( I'm so scared that something like this will happen :( I had a horrible incident with my baby snake this fall.... I'm definitely sending love and hugs and good wishes your way... Rio is waiting across the Rainbow Bridge. I'm sure he's talking up a storm about his favorite human mommy <3

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
R.I.P. Linius, my Sun conure
Tapa and Tio, Parakeets, Xander 3 month old sun conure
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It seems just not too long ago that we celebrated his hatch day on this forum. If you need anyone to talk to I'll be here for you. Loosing a beloved bird will always be hard. Rio was a well loved and a well taken care of bird. Him and Linius will fly over rainbow bridge together. Dont worry He'll be taken care of until its time for you guys to be together again. Try writing a poem about him, It helped me to write about Linius when I lost him alot! We're all here for you <3

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
From one Rio mom to another, I am sorry for your loss. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Rio had a good life while he existed before going to birdie heaven. He will be missed!!!! Rio Mom, I hope you and your family for the best, remembering the things Rio used to do, unable to wait for you to cut up veggies and goes in to snatch them. I'm sure he's smiling back at you in birdie heaven that he had a good momma that cares for him dearly.

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Savannah, 4 year old Hahns Macaw
It wasn't the only thing noticed, I just wanted to make sure that Rio Mom did not avoid the vet because of your comment. She actually mentioned the punctured air sac before. I believe it was on page 2.

ralstonka

Apr 10, 2011
None, CA
Parrots
Cleo & Sunny [Sun Conure Pair]
Opy [Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel]
Ella [RIP - Pearl Cockatiel]
omg....that's horrible. Just confirms why I'll NEVER own a cat.

Poor Rio.....so sorry for your loss :(

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Reading all these comments gave me a tear in my eye. I really hope this won't happen to my baby. Best wishes to you.

Most Reactions