RIP Mocha. 12/12/06-9/25/12

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
I know he's not an animal of feathers. But he was my best friend.

We lived in the country up until about 6 months ago where we moved into town. My mini daschund had grown up on a dirt road in the country where cars were not scary. Roads were not a place of danger. He didn't know any better. He ran after some kids on a bike this evening. It was dark. And was hit by a car. They didn't even stop. My husband and 2 friends watched him take off and sprinted after him screaming. My husband scooped up my limp baby and trotted across the yard trying not to bounce him. I took him in a blanket and he died in my arms.

I've had him for 6 years since he was a puppy. He was very sick when I got him from the breeder. He had coccidiosis and borderline kennel cough. But he pulled thru with some extensive vet visits.

He grew up with my kids. With all the chaos they were in the window of the living room screaming for him. It was awful. I just kept telling Mocha how sorry I was. He didn't know any better. It was very fast and he didn't suffer. He barely made it across the yard. We buried him behind the shed. What's even worse is we're military so we will end up moving away from here and leave him behind.

I came in to go to bed tonight and I had no Mocha to call to bed. He's not burrowing under the blankets. He's not laying on my pillow. He followed me everywhere. Even to pee! Tomorrow will be hard. Without my Mocha trotting behind me every step I make.

I'm so distraught. I can't believe he's gone. That fast. I flagged down a cop and he told me there's no law in Georgia that says you have to stop for an animal or stop if you hit one. He was very smug and frankly said there's nothing he can do. How sad is that??

Anyway. Some pics of my baby.

Mocha when I brought him home.
c477d049af4e322f97779c8364fe2c83.jpg

Hubby and mocha.
0e7dd40edc64b447c72c6ddc4634382f.jpg

He chewed off an end of his bone and had it in his mouth...and his eye. Lol.
This was 6 days ago.
84abafa0278860c16f4262435aa3724f.jpg

Mocha and daddy.
4b9a9943ceda00deb8c0f633a2e3584c.jpg

He always slept in laundry baskets. Always! We left the, out just for him most of the time.
fe9ff8fa5e591b7c284c637abd25beb4.jpg

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your gorgeous doggy :( xox

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
Thank you so much. It means a lot.

I can't sleep. Or stop crying.

Your kind words mean more than you know.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose a pet and family member, especially when they are part of your daily life for a long time. When Puck passed away, I felt like a part of me was ripped out. I still do sometimes.

<3

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
So sorry for your loss! I say that crying is the best, and every tear drops is showing how much the family member means to you. So it never can be to much, only reverence.

Darwin'sgirl

Apr 11, 2010
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Parrots
I have an orange wing amazon named Darwin. He's 31 and awesome.
I'm so sorry for your little one. He sounds like he was wonderful. I recently lost my African Grey and I know how much pain your in. My thoughts are with you.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I'm so sorry for your loss. Feathers or not, this pup was still your baby. Thinking of you. I suppose there's some comfort in the fact that you held him and you were with him as he was passing. He probably felt a lot safer for you being there.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
Im so sorry for your loss LoriBeth. I had a miniature short haired Daschund that was run over and killed by a 4 wheeler some years back. It is always such a hard time to loose a beloved pet. You are in my prayers.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I'm sorry. I know the feeling of a beloved dog missing from the spots he's supposed to be.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Oh i am so sorry. When i lost my dog 2 years ago (i used to say he was my 'son' and the rest were 'our pets'), i had a charm engraved with his name that i wear on my bracelet. Maybe you can find a special way to memorialize him that is comforting to you too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts