Ripley & Niko on COMBINED Java Trees

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Before I post the clips, a quick update on Ripley:

He HATES baths, so I made a shower perch this week, and today he and I entered the shower together. :54: I never thought I'd be in a bathing suit in January. :eek: It went quite well. Ripley never complained, and for the first time in his life he got a good soaking. :D

3 days ago Ripley decided to "visit" Niko on HIS Java tree. I have 2 of them, and they were about 4 feet apart, but that was no obstacle for Mr. Ripley. :eek: The first time he "hopped" over, Niko was quite shell shocked. But there was NO aggression.

So yesterday I decided to combine the 2 Java trees, putting them right next to each other, making one GIANT playtree. :) So far so good....knock on wood.

Ok, here are 3 clips, taken a little while ago.

[ame="http://youtu.be/_qQjhq6EYH0"][/ame]

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
OOOP...the links. :eek: SORRY

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qQjhq6EYH0"]2013 01 19 Ripley & Niko 006 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KvadP0bB-Q"]2013 01 19 Ripley & Niko 004 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q-wpCyaY4c"]YouTube[/ame]

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Can't find the clips unless you haven't posted them yet:confused:.Looking forward to seeing them. Really great that they are getting along. none of my birds like each other when out of their cages but do talk to each other from their own safe havens:D

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I had a "blonde" moment...sorry about that. They "should" be there now. :eek:

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
The first 2 videos I could watch the third one says video is private. I bet Ripley thinks he has died and landed in birdy paradise after living so long in the petstore:D:)

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
The first 2 videos I could watch the third one says video is private. I bet Ripley thinks he has died and landed in birdy paradise after living so long in the petstore:D:)

AAAWW, THANK YOU!! I believe I "fixed" the last video. :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
They are definitely getting along great Wendy you are so fortunate
I love the way they watch each other while entertaining themselves
They have so much to play with....... OMG how do they choose what to play with and where to begin? LOL
You have done an awesome job......... those java trees look awesome

I know if I show Mishka those video clips he will want to go over and play
Thanks for the update and sharing to cute vid's

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
They have so much to play with....... OMG how do they choose what to play with and where to begin? LOL

Thank you SO much, Ant. :D I don't know yet about getting along "great", but at least they don't show any signs of aggression.

Ripley has tried regurgitating for Niko, as if to tell him "I come in peace." :30:

Those Java Trees are something I truly don't regret buying. Yes, they weren't cheap, but being the guardian of 4 fids, they sure come in VERY handy, and keep them REALLY busy. :)

Please tell Mishka, he's welcome to play ANY times he wants. ;)

(&) XO

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

Thank you SO much, Ant. :D I don't know yet about getting along "great", but at least they don't show any signs of aggression.

Ripley has tried regurgitating for Niko, as if to tell him "I come in peace." :30:

Those Java Trees are something I truly don't regret buying. Yes, they weren't cheap, but being the guardian of 4 fids, they sure come in VERY handy, and keep them REALLY busy. :)

Please tell Mishka, he's welcome to play ANY times he wants. ;)

(&) XO

I reckon if they have not attacked each other yet, they ARE getting along great...... :)
I bet they will spend many enjoyable hours on the java trees, it sure was worth spending money on. :D

Will mention it to Mishka tmr, bet he will want me to book a flight for him immediatelty LoL
:grey:

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
All fixed I just got to watch the last one. Niko looks like I finally got a big brother YEA And I loved that little hand shake from Niko Like he is thanking dad for his new companion:D:). Those Java trees are incredible so many toys. Great job:)

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Thank you so much for putting up those videos. They are very wonderful to watch. I love how Ripley is just hanging out and has his wings drooping trying to air dry them. Niko is very adorable with his vocalizations and mannerisms.

I also do not regret buying my java tree. Although my RFM is about half the size of your two macaws Valentino enjoys the whole tree. It is my dream to someday find one more parrot that Valentino finds some kind of companionship with. I dream about all sorts of parrots for our second family member but also know the second bird doubles in everything and in my opinion doubles the love you can give.

I was wondering if you keep your amazons totally separate from your macaws? I am looking into small amazons for the second parrot but wonder if amazon/macaw is not a good mixture.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
FWIW My 2 GW's got along really well at first also, but it didn't last, ergo the separate cages now. As you know, Miri still harasses Rea, but it usually doesn't last very long. :rolleyes:

As far as the Zon's interacting with the GW's? Not in this house, it just won't happen, it's way too dangerous a situation and they don't care for one another at all. :rolleyes:

Not saying it can't/won't happen, but not in this house!

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Cool vids, Wendy! It's so nice that Ripley and Niko accept one another so far (to a point, at least) :).

I don't know yet about getting along "great", but at least they don't show any signs of aggression.

I wish that were the case between Salsa and Zaf :(. Salsa likes to press Zaf's buttons... but he also often tries to regurg for Zaf when I bring Zaf close enough to him. Zaf will have no part of the deal, though!! ;)

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I was wondering if you keep your amazons totally separate from your macaws? I am looking into small amazons for the second parrot but wonder if amazon/macaw is not a good mixture.

My Amazons get along GREAT, and they, too spend time together on the Java Trees, but with the Macs put away tightly in their cages. ;) Ripley grew up around all kinds of birds, including cockatoos, amazons, conures, caiques, etc. Niko's been with me since he was 4 months, but he never wanted anything to do with Hunter (I didn't have Sam yet at the time). Seeing how he can lunge, and since he is so very ornery, I would never put my zons in harms way.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Cool vids, Wendy! It's so nice that Ripley and Niko accept one another so far (to a point, at least) :).

I wish that were the case between Salsa and Zaf :(. Salsa likes to press Zaf's buttons... but he also often tries to regurg for Zaf when I bring Zaf close enough to him. Zaf will have no part of the deal, though!! ;)

Thank you, Tony! :)

I honestly believe I'm still going through the "honeymoon phase" with Ripley ;) Time will tell.

When Ripley tries to regurgitate, Niko has a REALLY weird look on his face, as if he was saying "KEEP IT, I don't want any." LOL

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
FWIW My 2 GW's got along really well at first also, but it didn't last, ergo the separate cages now. As you know, Miri still harasses Rea, but it usually doesn't last very long. :rolleyes:

As far as the Zon's interacting with the GW's? Not in this house, it just won't happen, it's way too dangerous a situation and they don't care for one another at all. :rolleyes:

Not saying it can't/won't happen, but not in this house!

All my fids' cages are in the same room, and they can see each other just fine, but I won't let my zons interact with my macs either. It would be a disaster, no doubt in my mind. :eek:

Whenever Niko & Ripley get "close" to each other, I literally hold my breath, and watch their body language VERY closely. Niko wants to stand his ground, I'm sure of it, but Ripley is BIGGER, lol. I don't want any injuries or fights, that's for sure. And when/if they get into it, their outtime together will stop. :(

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Thank you so much for talking about how Amazons and Macaws would do together. This is not something I was looking into doing but am trying to get the perspective of current parrot owners living situations and am trying to figure the best scenario for our home.

Like most of you here I plan of having the cages side by side like I use to have with my prior flock. Although none of my parrots "got along" with each other and were handled separately for out times and such I believe they did find comfort and companionship with seeing each other and being in the same room. They use to talk to each other when I was not in the room and I felt it was healtiher to have a small flock then no flock at all. Currently Valentino is my only parrot. My Noble Macaw Mihijo and him were to be "cages side by side" buddies after quarantine but I guess that was not the plan God had for Valentino and Mihijo. Mihijo died of a heart attack in October before Valentino came home in December.

I realize it would probably be healthier if another parrot was to live here and I would only have one more making my flock consist of two parrots but I am going to take my time as to what type of parrot would be added. I would like to rescue a parrot that needs a home but because of what is going on locally I do not think that is in the cards for me.

I love your story of Ripley of how he came to be in your family and I enjoy your updates, pictures and videos of him. I wonder how long your "honeymoon" period will be. I think my honeymoon period if almost over with Valentino. His personality comes out more everyday and he is learning too quickly how to push my buttons. May I ask how old Ripley is? I cannot remember.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
May I ask how old Ripley is? I cannot remember.

Ripley hatched in June 2011, so he's 19 months now. :)

I really DO consider myself VERY lucky that my 2 Amazons get along so well. Hunter will be 14 in April, and Sam is only 9 months. Hunter has such a laid back personality, she is so sweet and gentle, it's hard NOT to want to get along with her. ;)

Now Niko is as ornery as they come. He will take every opportunity to pinch. Never maliceously, just mischieveously. Right after he pinches me he'll shake his head, laughs, and then tells me "Nah-aaah, no ouchy." :rolleyes:

Ripley (so far) is incredibly gentle. He now allows me to not only scritch his head, cheeks and face, but I can pet him on his back, his wings and his belly. :) And boy...he LOVES giving and receiving kisses. MELT!!! :D

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
I can SO relate to the GW's snuggling, even temperamental Miri will do this as well. :) Don't even get me started on ReaRea!!! :D I can touch/pet both of them anywhere I please and they absolutely love it and the cooing noises they make instantly makes you smile! :)

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
I loved your videos Wendy! Ripley looks as if he has lived with you since he was a baby. He is so comfortable in his new home & it shows. I can see the impish look in Niko"s eyes. It definity reminds me of my Roscoe & his pinching a bit harder than he needs to sometimes. Then I swear he had a grin on his face like a child after being naughty.

Roscoe & Angel are brothers & for the first 3 months with me they lived together in their large aviary. Then Roscoe became the dominate bird & I divided the aviary between them. They still mock fight through the wire & still try to preen each other through the wire. As far as being able to be on a perch together, not anymore. Roscoe gets too bossy with Angel. I do have all my birds out at the same time on separate perches, but they do have to have space between each & no bird better dare step foot on the others' perch. Only when I can watch them tho. None want to share play areas or cages. The budgies are the exception. They are all in a large flight cage together & get along great. I don't let them out as none are hand tame.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts