ChalkBlob

Jun 29, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure (yellow sided)
My new gc conure (he's 4 going on 5 months old) has begun sneezing about 6 days ago but it started being more frequent 3 days ago. He was really sweet, no biting the first few days we've had him, except the first 2 when he was new to things. After some time and coincidentally or not, when my grandfather visited he began being very aggressive which I though was because we had a guest that was annoying him, but his aggression spread to me and my mother.. About 6 days ago also, he started scratching his face INTENSELY but he is preening his whole body, still 60% he has a foot up his face so that's weird.. So to sum up 6 days ago he started scratching his face and sneezing (I first heard him sneeze after he took a bath) and about 3 days ago he started being so aggressive that in the morning we can't have our hands close to him or he'll bite them off (he chills out in the evening). I don't have an avian vet in town and we've had him for about 11 days so I don't feel good bringing him after such little time. What should I do? (He has an okay diet, fruits, lettuce, oats, seeds)

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

I’d highly recommend taking your baby to an avian vet as soon as you can!

Not sure about the aggression but many birds will be aggressive if they aren’t feeling good or are in pain of some sort.

Please keep us updated!

OP
C

ChalkBlob

Jun 29, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure (yellow sided)
Welcome to the forums!

I’d highly recommend taking your baby to an avian vet as soon as you can!

Not sure about the aggression but many birds will be aggressive if they aren’t feeling good or are in pain of some sort.

Please keep us updated!
He's been sneezing less today, he only did it about 5 times as far as I've seen him but I've noticed a change in his pitch that concerns me and he's been more vocal. He's calmed down on the aggression so it was probably because we had someone over and he's still very playful (I got him some toys yesterday), he wants to come out and fly around all the time he's very lively basically. I've found a vet that takes birds for controls so if in a few days of keeping him away from drafts (his cage is next to a pereptually open window, but we cover it up when it's less warm outside), some added humidity and more veggie filled meals I'll try taking him for a control over there. Wish us luck.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
He's been sneezing less today, he only did it about 5 times as far as I've seen him but I've noticed a change in his pitch that concerns me and he's been more vocal. He's calmed down on the aggression so it was probably because we had someone over and he's still very playful (I got him some toys yesterday), he wants to come out and fly around all the time he's very lively basically. I've found a vet that takes birds for controls so if in a few days of keeping him away from drafts (his cage is next to a pereptually open window, but we cover it up when it's less warm outside), some added humidity and more veggie filled meals I'll try taking him for a control over there. Wish us luck.
Allergic to Grandpa? Just kidding but maybe there's something about his appearance that scares him.
When you first get a bird the first vet visit is very important to establish a relationship with the vet in case your bird gets really sick or injured it's easier to get an appointment if they've seen your bird before. What do you mean when you say the vet sees birds "for controls"?
You ought to move his cage away from the window or drape a blanket or towel down that side of his cage that faces the window so he doesn't get drafts.

Most Reactions

Latest posts