rocky escaped!

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
the other night rocky the galah got out of an open door and flew off. i saw him fly off out of sight and thought i was going to be sick. with my heart racing i ran down the garden and called to him over and over, after a few heart stopping minutes that seemed like hours he landed in the drive way and waddled up the path and climbed up on me. i was in floods of tears, i think we were both shaken. i thank my guardian angel for bringing him home, i know it could have been so much worse. it just shows the imprtance of teaching fids there names!

OP
mellykyitus

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
i know, i was sure he was gone! i still wake up at night thinking about what might have happened! x

erik7181

Jun 2, 2010
Media
Albums
NYC
Parrots
Sun conure
Pickle George
Green cheek
Pepsey
You were lucky, iv had each of my two birds get out onece sepretly. Each time they flew into a tree and after about an hour I got them. It seemed like they wanted to come down but couldn figure out how. Well it is a scary thing to go through, some times you get lucky but some times not.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Oh thank goodness!!!!!! Just goes to show how fortunate we can be sometimes!

SO glad your handsome man is safe xxxx

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I'm so glad you were able to get him back! I can only imagine how scary it was. Luckly, we've only ever had Max get out and he was as scared as we were. We got him back in about 5 min.

OP
mellykyitus

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
yeah rocky was only gone 5 mins, he flew over the roof tops and out of sight, sooo scary. he's like my shadow now, if i leave the room he panics and follows me, i think he still scared! x

Jub_jub_bird

Jan 14, 2011
North East England
Parrots
Sophie - LS Cockatoo
Thank god you got him back! I was welling up reading that! I had to get a friend whos a tree surgeon to help a couple i know get their Greenwing back when he escaped and flew up a tree! I was a wreck, i couldnt deal with the stress at all, but was so elated when they got him down safe and sound!

Plus, you just reminded me to look for posts on re-clipping wings - thanks lol!

Glad Rocky's ok!

Kat

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure: Kiwi

Pacific Green Rumped Parrotlet: Peeps
Man that sounds so freaky! I can just imagine how that would've looked and I probably would've had a small heart attack if that was one of my birds. So happy it all turned out. :)

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Maui - Male CAG (my baby) (Mom's babies) KiKi - Sun Conure, Fred & Wilma - Fisher Lovebirds, Gully,Sweetie,Baby - Cockatiels, Mork & Mindy - Zebra Finches Luna,Sky,Jilly - Budgies 16 Gouldian Finches
OH my GOODNESS! Let me just say that I have had the nightmare of such a thing happening to me with Maui. I am ALWAYS very careful, but sometimes, careful isn't enough and it just happens. I trimmed Maui's wings ONCE and felt terrible the entire time about it, so have let them grow out. I am now starting flight target training with him, he's got a ways to go, however, I just ordered the harness and am determined to get him fully trained so that I don't ever have to worry about him getting out again, as I will have his harness on him while he's out of his cage. As for Trixie, Trixie hasn't come out of her cage for 3 yrs, I'm going to do all that I can to get her comfortable with that and then worry about the harness training with her. She was out of her cage yesterday, purely by mistake and was a total scared mess. It's going to take a A LOT of patience and time to get her feeling good about it.

ticklemebink

Mar 6, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Green wing macaw
wow so happy he came back. I watch this video all the time. it is just amazing. I hope to train my lil guy to come back like this one day. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk_IsEB5Q7Q]YouTube - ‪Scot & Sheryl's Vacation with Flying Parrots in Moab‬‏[/ame]

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Wow!!!! I just read this....you were super lucky to get him back. I had a baby tiel flew a 100 ft on top of a tree. I was lucky I had poles that long to reach him. I taught my babies to step up to perches during training. He was clipped, but not good enough and he took off from a high wind. So I got him on the pole and brought him down slowly. I took him in ASAP. I then reclip him.... but I don't clip my existing babies because I don't like to. But I don't take them outside anyway.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011

Most Reactions

Latest posts