Rocky! (pics)

Finch_Breeder

Oct 27, 2012
South Australia
Parrots
Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo!
gyrp.jpg

yu0XY.jpg

oF2wN.jpg

wYe5t.jpg

Fgjf.jpg

QEY5.jpg

Mike:)

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
He's beautiful, and quite a show off lol just see how many poses he strikes !

OP
Finch_Breeder

Finch_Breeder

Oct 27, 2012
South Australia
Parrots
Thanks Guys.
His wake up call is pretty funny when you watch him!
I will try and record it.

OP
Finch_Breeder

Finch_Breeder

Oct 27, 2012
South Australia
Parrots
While i'm here,
How can I prevent Rocky from flying into walls?
Sometimes he does it when he is not scared.
Mike.

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
While i'm here,
Mike.

I don't really have any advice on that. I think its just as he's learning to fly and what he can and can't fly through. Jax was so bad when he was learning he would hit A LOT of walls. I felt like I was having constant heart failure. In the end I clipped his wings because I didn't want him getting hurt. Many people told me to persevere and let him get the hang of flying, but I just couldn't handle the worry, I was a nervous wreck..LOL He learnt to glide down from things with his wings clipped, he just couldn't go up high. His feathers are growing back in now and he is gradually getting higher and seems a lot smoother unless he gets scared then he forgets to look where he is going. I have a noisy 4 year old and two 10 year olds running around the house so there is quite a lot of noise to make him jump. He is getting used to the everyday noises its just the occasional out of the blue thing that makes him jump/fly now.

OP
Finch_Breeder

Finch_Breeder

Oct 27, 2012
South Australia
Parrots
He has got his own album now, there will be more pics in the album "as time goes by". :D
Mike;)

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
what a happy bird! great pics :)

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
What a beautiful bird! Out of all the Too's the Rose Breasted Cockatoo is my favorite. Too bad the wifey and I are sensitive to the dust that they produce. We found out the hard way because I had to rehome all my cockatiels because of the dander they produce. Peace be to you.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
While i'm here,
Mike.
Because he's half clipped he has little control and it's difficult to avoid things. When Rosie was clipped then molting in her feathers she crashed pretty often then one day she had enough feathers to be in controlled flight and is very good at avoiding things.
He's also young and still learning. although it's risky and scary to see them hit things(especially windows) once they figure out how to fly they are great at avoiding things. I always touched Rosie's beak to things I thought she might hit in hopes of helping her to understand.

When Rosie was getting in shape and gaining muscle I made sure to hang up sheets, cover picture frames, lamps, and cushion any sharp corners. When you have Rocky out you can hang sheets right in front of the wall, focusing on places he tends to hit. This way he will heat the sheet(have it 1 or 2 feet from the wall) which will cushion him before hitting the wall itself.

OP
Finch_Breeder

Finch_Breeder

Oct 27, 2012
South Australia
Parrots
Cheers Guys.
Just asking, is watermelon alright to feed to Rocky in small quantities as a treat?
Mike

Katkoota

Mar 19, 2011
Parrots
1 Galah
Because he's half clipped he has little control and it's difficult to avoid things. When Rosie was clipped then molting in her feathers she crashed pretty often then one day she had enough feathers to be in controlled flight and is very good at avoiding things.

Yep. It happened to Dante too. He now is fully flighted and improved a lot at it :)

Rocky is darling. I am a big time galah lover; Dante is the one to blame for making me a bird / galah lover.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Alice is still short quite a few feathers on one wing, and it's obviously problematic for her as she can take off but after a few feet she loses balance and spirals off to one side. She's getting better at controlled crashes which I suppose is something.

Rocky seems like a lovely character - congratulations!

Most Reactions

Latest posts