Rocky

cghoosier21

Nov 8, 2010
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Black Capped Conure- Rocky (hatched 5/8/10
Hey everyone hows it going im new to the site. I have a black capped conure that im about to bring home on friday it's 5 months old and its name is Rocky. I had a tiel which he recently died he was 8 yrs old its crazy how you become attached to your bird. But i will periodically post on updates about Rocky.

Attachments

• ROCKY @.jpg
    ROCKY @.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 299
  • ROCKY.jpg
    ROCKY.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Hi, welcome to the forum!

We're all bird crazy about our fids here! (Feathered kids)

Lots of members from all over the world with brilliant advice and very "wise birds" ;)

We all love hearing how eachothers babies are and vids and pics! :D

Hope you enjoy it here!

OP
cghoosier21

cghoosier21

Nov 8, 2010
Media
Indiana
Parrots
I do have a question what are safe veggies and fruits i can give to Rocky

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Oh my, easier to give you a list of what not to feed although, it is never exhaustive!!!!

I would recommend you buy a book for reference at hand and many many other tips on safety and toxins such as PTFE (teflon), zinc poisoning and the pros and cons of wing clipping etc as well as food and other areas. Parrots for dummies is a good one and not at all as the title suggests!!! I would also recommend getting one on the specific breed of your bird if possible. I have found The Conure Handbook by Anne C Watkins to be so very useful.

Here is a link which I think you may find helpful - it includes many things toxic for birds and also a looooong list of safe fruit and veg.
Non-toxic for birds list and a list of things that are toxic for birds.

I would additionally add to be careful of dried fruit even in a parrot mix. The most common way of treating this for preservatives is sulpher dioxide. Health food shops over here do SD free sections but unless it states it is FREE of them, it is hazerdous over a long period to your birdy. Most times, it is not listed. :(

Peanuts are not good for them either due to a natural fungus. A seed diet is often full of millet which has no nutritional value as such and sunflower seeds which are basically like us eating Mcdonalds every day!

I highly recommend pellets(many available, Harrisons I believe is the best. There is also zupreem and Kaytee Exact to mention a couple) to you as you can be sure that your baby is getting nutrition and you can then control the seed/nut intake by popping in just a few :D

Veg is more nutritional than fruit as a general rule due to natural sugars in fruit. There are many things you can feed your fid as you can see in the article. Try anything and everything possible that isn't toxic and you'll have one healthy and happy birdy! Vitamin A is important for conure health (and indeed all birds) and veg high in this are kale, carrot, broccolli, pumpkin...the list is long!

I hope that helped you.

PS: You're baby is BEAUTIFUL! <3

OP
cghoosier21

cghoosier21

Nov 8, 2010
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Thanks Von i cant wait to bring him home on friday :D

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Welcome to the forum. Von's advice excellent. There are many of us conure parronts on the forum so we will help all we can. How much socialization has Rocky had?

OP
cghoosier21

cghoosier21

Nov 8, 2010
Media
Indiana
Parrots
He's still at the bird store its a place in indianapolis called bird fever and he he seems like he has been socialized a lot cause as soon as i took him out of the cage when i was looking at the different birds and he can already step up on command and can say baby bird and he'll lay on his back in my hand and he is a really sweat bird

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
You are going to have a blast!

OP
cghoosier21

cghoosier21

Nov 8, 2010
Media
Indiana
Parrots
ya i will!!! i had a tiel but he died just recently and its crazy how attached i got to him

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new fid Rocky! :)

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Can't WAIT to hear how you get on :D

I'm with Barb.....conures are amazing companions to have, you'll enjoy Rocky SO much!

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
Green-cheek Conure "Mishka" - Sun conure "Calypso"
I'm totally smitten with my tiny Green-cheek (she's my baby!) and can't wait for our new Sun to come around. They really are the best though - even when they're being ornery it's so cute!! Enjoy your Rocky and keep us up to date on how things go! ;)

OP
cghoosier21

cghoosier21

Nov 8, 2010
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Ive got him home and he is afraid to get into his cage and won't leave my shoulder lol ill get some pics and post them as soon as possible

OP
cghoosier21

cghoosier21

Nov 8, 2010
Media
Indiana
Parrots
I've got some photos for you guys. Rocky was being silly and ended up inside of my hood behind my neck and fell asleep back there it was funny. also I've noticed is that he has a pur almost like a cats.

Attachments

• rocky3.jpg
    rocky3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 223
  • rocky4.jpg
    rocky4.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 246
  • rocky5.jpg
    rocky5.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 219
  • rocky6.jpg
    rocky6.jpg