Rosella with reversed toe

vellad

May 29, 2013
Parrots
Rosella
Hi and good morning :),

I am a newbie - this is my first ever parrot.

Last week I got a 4 week Rosella chick that I am handfeeding - it's going really great and today he did his first couple of test-flights :) he flew towards me across the room and one time he actually landed on my shoulder! :) So i think that's good :)

However - I a bit concerned because the day after I got him I realized that one of his rear toes (the ring leg) is pointing forward. It's the same color as the other fingers so I assume that there is circulation etc.

He can walk no problem and he can also perch (on perch it still points forward). The thing is that when he tries to perch he sometimes takes time to grip and i'm not sure if it's due to pain or if it's because he is still young so still finding his balance. He only started perching yesterday. He can climb ok no problem.

I am thinking that maybe something happened when the breeder was putting the ring on.

Are there any suggestions on what I can do? I will be talking to the VET (that I take my dog to) - thing is that where I live I seriously doubt that these exist Avian VETS (specialized).

I have some photos (below) showing the problem toe and the actual bird!!

Thanks Guys.

2hxepuv.png

xk7btAv.png

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
When hatched, a parrot's toes are ....., like most birds, three toes forward & one rearward, but shortly after hatching, the outer tow on each foot turns rearward, giving our feathered friends zygodactyl feet, two toes forward & two toes rearward facing.....

While your bird's outside toe did rotate, the inner one (which should be pointing rearward) looks like it was either broken or could possibly have been a deformity, notice how the inner front toe is lying slightly sideways.....while an X-ray might confirm an old break, I doubt there is anything that could be done to correct the situation.....

While it might not be the fastest climber in the flock, I don't know if the toe will cause your friend any major problems.....our feathered friends readily adapt & acclimate themselves to most all situations.....

Good luck.....

OP
V

vellad

May 29, 2013
Parrots
Rosella
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help! My only concern is his pain - i'm not looking for a fast climber :)

I will check with the VET and see how it goes!

Thanks again - you have been very helpful and reassuring.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I wonder if the toe can be bandaged into proper place for one to two weeks minimum? And after that time, take the bandage off and see if it helps any? It would force it to 'sit' properly.

OP
V

vellad

May 29, 2013
Parrots
Rosella
I wonder if the toe can be bandaged into proper place for one to two weeks minimum? And after that time, take the bandage off and see if it helps any? It would force it to 'sit' properly.

Hmm maybe I should try - will look into it.

Thanks!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
What a cutie, where abouts in the world are you? We may be able to help you track an avian/exotics vet ;)

Merlin has a splayed leg, all his joints are perfectly healthy etc just his leg is literally just the wrong way around. A chick injury like your guys. He gets around just fine and it causes him no pain. We did physiotherapy with him as a chick to make sure he could stretch his toes properly but to be honest unless it appears to be causing your little guy pain I'm sure he'll be fine.

Have you tried touching his feet at all? He will most probably give you a pinch if he's sore! :)

davisn456

May 3, 2013
Saint Albans, WV
Parrots
1 B&G Macaw - Frankie
I had a cockatiel that used to sit on the perch just like that. I didn't notice until I had him for a while that his 3rd toe was bent forward. It never seemed to affect him though. He was very mobile and lived a long life.

Most Reactions

Latest posts