Rosellas yesterday

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
We had a very pleasant family picnic yesterday at a local bushland reserve called Blue Gum Hills park. It's a great place to sit and watch birds, as the owners are very jealously preserving the natural environment. There are no rubbish bins, for example, as you are expected to take out whatever you take into the park and leave no evidence of yourself behind.

So, I was sittin' happily munchin' on a doughnut and gazin' into the treetops when I saw an unmistakable flash of red. It was a flock of Crimson Rosellas filtering down through a huge gum tree in order to get to the pond for a drink. Now, Crimson Rosellas aren't all that uncommon, but they live in the more closed areas of forest, where people seldom go. It was a real treat to see twenty or more of them at close quarters. Do a google image search to see how ravishingly lovely they are. They make a lovely sound, sort of like a high trill played on a clarinet. You can hear it for miles and it always makes me smile to think one of these gorgeous birds is in the vicinity.

Well, not long afterward, there was another pleasant surpise as the more often-seen Eastern Rosellas came to drink too. They're a chatty bunch and make a commotion as everyone jockeys for a spot at the water's edge. I noticed quite a few greenish juveniles in the crew, so the local flocks must be breeding away happily at Blue Gum Hills.

It was only then I noticed a brown-painted nest box high in a Spotted Gum. When I looked more closely, there were brown nest boxes everywhere and in different sizes. They even have them for possums to use! I'm so happy about this! See, most Australian forested areas near cities and towns are pretty much despoiled. They've been logged out or cleared away at some stage of their existence and so old-growth trees with decent nest-holes are usually few and far between. This is certainly the case at Blue Gum Hills, where the vast majority of trees would only be less than a hundred years old. Hence, the nest-boxes. Hooray!

The crowning glory of the day was when my son nudged me and said 'Mum! Look up!' An Australian Little Eagle was wheeling away overhead in the clear blue sky as if he hadn't a care in the world. He swooped low and then rose again on thermals, eventually sailing out of sight to the west. Ah...! I *love* raptors!

Of which there were plenty in the form of scavenging Kookaburras! There must have been thirty or so, all waiting patiently (and some, not so patiently) in trees around the solar-powered barbecues. As soon as ever anyone tossed a bit of meat or sausage, a Kookaburra would be upon it, seize it and retire back to his perch to 'kill it to death' as they do. Kookaburras usually kill - or tenderise - their food by bashing it heartily on a stout limb or rock before eating it. That's probably to avoid bites from poisonous snakes, which they like to eat. A bit of overkill for a hunk of sausage, though... As we were packing up our picnic at the end of the day, we were treated to a glorious chorus of all those voices laughing merrily at our departure. Sweet! Well... deafening, but sweet! :D

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sounds like a great day!!!! But where are the pictures??? :p

OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Well, I didn't take my phone on purpose (hate the darned thing ringing in the middle of the silence) and my husband's DSLR was there, but he was busy with the barbecue. If I touched the Holy DSLR, I would've wound up a burnt offering, so as it was there were no photos taken except for happy snappies around the table. You really don't want to see pics of me and my family nomming up a bagful of doughnuts! It's not a pretty sight! Next time, I'll try and do better - promise!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
HEY! It's human in their natural habitat gorging down on donuts! That's informative video.... :D

OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Mikey, you just made me splatter coffee all over my monitor! LOLOLOLOLOL! :D

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
I have often driven past the gates into that place (we have friends at Fletcher) but have never been inside and have often wondered what was there! Well that does it, I'm definitely planning a picnic lunch there soon- it sounds awesome! My kids' favourite spot is Blackbutt, in fact we went for a big walk around there the day I went into labor with my third! ;)
It's great to hear about new places to visit that are so close to home!

OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Yeah, Blue Gum Hills is great! They have composting dunnies instead of septic tanks and bore water (you have to take your own drinking water with you). Tree Tops Adventures is right there as well (where you go climbing through the treetops with flying foxes and cargo nets etc etc). The kids' playground was designed on the theme of mining in the area, so there's a 'miner's cottage' playhouse and tunnels for the kids to crawl through. The best part is the six-foot maze! It's not all that hard to get out of, once you know the key, but it keeps a birthday party full of kids occupied for a good hour or more. I wanted to leave fairy bread at vantage points in the maze and go away for the arvo, but Hubby wouldn't let me...

Eventually, the park is going to be huge with all sorts of age-appropriate play areas for kids (including Big Kids - Tree Tops is just the beginning). The barbecues are gas-powered and free and there are sheltered tables for picnicking. There's also big open spaces for ball games etc etc. We like going there during the week when there's very few people about. You get a better birdwatch that way. If you do go for a day out, I hope you have a great time there! :D

Most Reactions