Rosewood toxicity?

pcs2smf

Mar 28, 2013
Hi
New potential bird owner. I do some woodworking - mostly in rosewood. Is this safe for birds? I don't see it listed anywhere.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I don't know that I've ever seen any warnings on rosewood, but that specie covers 20 or so woods, doesn't it?

You might do a google search for rosewood toxicity & see what that brings up.....

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
idk about rose wood, but i do have a question about locust. i just chopped down some locust and got some nice branches. I have heard mixed debates on if it is safe though( i usually use maple or something else never locust). anyone know or have used locust before?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Not sure at all sorry

Found an informative link perhaps the answer is there

Toxic and Safe Plants/Trees for Birds - Household Poisons

00020408.gif

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I was getting bored, so checked out the current Cornell U data that supposedly provided the info on the link Antoinette posted.....couldn't find anything at Cornell, but found this on a UK govt. site:

"Toxic activity is specific to a wood species, so knowing the exact species is important in establishing what the potential toxic effects may be. It is easy to confuse individual wood species (of which more than 100 are commercially important in the UK). For example, the term ‘rosewood’ may be used for up to 30 different species; and an individual species may have up to ten different trade names.

An additional difficulty is that trees vary within a species. One specimen may contain low levels of its toxic agent and the next contain much higher levels."

The UK government site is: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis30.pdf

I'd thought 20 some odd species, but as it says, if you find Rosewood on a safe list, what species of Rosewood would it be & what species of Rosewood are you working with?

You might want to take a look at this website also: http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml

Last edited:

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
thank you both, its just the dang sites give such varying opnions... i know people that just go cut branches and the birds live forever just fine. Theres just so much we dont know...

Most Reactions

Latest posts