Rude GCC

SupahKoopa

Dec 2, 2015
Chicago
Parrots
Zazu - 1.5 yr old Green Cheek Conure
Hello!

My green cheek conure has recently developed a habit to scream over me whenever I talk to someone over the computer. This normally wouldn't be problem, but I work from home and I can't have him screaming when I'm talking to my employer. He also started to bite me quite hard whenever I try and put him back on a perch after he's been on my hand for a while.

Anything I can do to get these habits out of him?

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi I am sorry that I find this amusing, who wouldnt wish to scream at their employer from time to time??

Seriously, as with any undesirable behaviour - time out, so back to his cage.

Tilt you hand a little, a wobble really when he does it, he''ll notice and he has to concentrate on something else not biting you.

Don't forget to reward his good behaviour too. :)

Hello!

My green cheek conure has recently developed a habit to scream over me whenever I talk to someone over the computer. This normally wouldn't be problem, but I work from home and I can't have him screaming when I'm talking to my employer. He also started to bite me quite hard whenever I try and put him back on a perch after he's been on my hand for a while.

Last edited:
OP
SupahKoopa

SupahKoopa

Dec 2, 2015
Chicago
Parrots
Zazu - 1.5 yr old Green Cheek Conure
Hi I am sorry that I find this amusing, who wouldnt wish to scream at their employer from time to time??

Tilt you hand a little, a wobble really when he does it, he''ll notice and he has to concentrate on something else not biting you.

Hello!

See I've done the whole time out thing... but he still screams :( even when in the cage. And I've tried tilting my hand.. Sometimes I wonder who the master is, the human or the bird.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Oh definitely the bird!

Only go back when he stops, pop head round door say hello. Screaming go away again.

If you unbalance him enough he cant bite and re-balance himself can he?

If not any good use distraction. I think this is how wacky parront behaviour starts lol.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.

Hello!

See I've done the whole time out thing... but he still screams :( even when in the cage. And I've tried tilting my hand.. Sometimes I wonder who the master is, the human or the bird.

Parrots don't go from not screaming to screaming without showing transitional behaviour. Try to figure out what he is trying to communicate. Most parrots are reactors rather than actors and parronts have to change their behaviour before the parrot changes his. Don't reward this behaviour with drama such as covering his cage, squirting with water, shouting "be quiet" etc as this reinforces this type of behaviour instead teach positive ones ie tricks, give him a cue for a trick to distract him. Answer him from another room when screaming to reassure him but only go to him when he's quiet and positively reinforce this. It can take some time to improve on this type of behaviour and often its worse before its better so patience is required.

OneHorseRanch

May 25, 2014
California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure, Sheldon. Hatch date: 7/27/13
Sheldon will scream. Sometimes it's when we're in the room, in which we promptly leave the room. Or he will scream when he know we're home but not with him. I'll only answer back when he makes nice sounds and I usually will try to repeat them. And only enter the room or take him out when it's nice noises or he's quiet. It's been harder to train the family than the bird..LOL..

Most Reactions

Latest posts