Rv travaling

Goingcoastal

Jun 13, 2016
West Chester pa
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I just got my bird and am going rv camping in two weeks. I purchased a traval cage from dr fosters. Will this be ok for him as long as he gets out during the day with me. Yes the rv does have AC and I don't leave the camper for more than a few hours at a time.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Goingcoastal, which cage?

I just came back from 5 days with my bird. She has a Midwest Poquito Avian Hotel which was more than big enough for her.

Make sure that the AC is not blowing on her at any time.

I had Nike outside with us a lot either in her cage or Pak-o-bird and it was pretty hot outside. I was very worried about bringing her from the hot outside to the cool RV so I would turn off the AC for a while and let the camper warm up before I brought her in, then slowly cool the camper a bit.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Double check that your RV door locks are not easily defeated. Stolen pets are far too common while traveling. Some are as simple as a slotted screwdriver to open them.

20/20 hindsight, it would have been nice to have had a little more time to bond, but it is what it is. So, when you're in a traffic jam someplace, play pass the birdie.

Double check the States that you will be staying in regarding any restrictions of transport or bring in to the State any specific parrots. There are some States that have restrictions.

To avoid a problem with a police officer that is having a bad day. Take your parrot to your Avian Vet ASAP, like tomorrow! You want to carry your parrots most recent full spectrum blood and gram stain tests. In addition, it will provide (limited) proof of ownership. Make sure that some place on the visit report it states 'Pet Bird.' Note, the faster you need the test results, the more expensive they are likely to be. Two weeks is a bit tight for an offsite lab to complete the tests, so plan on paying the Vet's rate. Also, carry the Sales Receipt from the Breeder, Trader, or Pet Store you purchased your parrot.

The likelihood of your needed the documentation is limited, but not having any documentation could result in the loss of your parrot.

And last but not least! Have Fun!

FYI: Bill provided excellent information on camping. Its been along time since I have been. My dear wife defines ruffing-it as not having room service. :D

Last edited:

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Hi and Congratulationd on your new addition to the family
What type of parrot is your travelling companion and hss he got a name yet. You have received wonderful advice in the two previous posts and I have no words of wisdom to add but I just wanted to say enjoy the trip and most especially enjoy your new Fid :)

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I have taken my fids with me on trips in their travel cages. Mainly weekend trips to visit family but once we get there, I open their cage doors and they will hang out on top of the cages. I even carry small perches for them, appropriate for their size and feet, set them up and they hang there too. At night, they sleep inside their cage. So they don't really spend a lot of time inside their cages, only in the car traveling, and to sleep or if something is going on that they need to be in their cage. For example, Buddy loves to fly and is fully flighted but when we are cooking, he has to be inside his cage because he's a little pig and will fly to the kitchen to see what he can get, lol.

Like Sailboat said, definitely check your locks. My parents have a 5th wheel and we actually pulled the door open by accident while it was locked. How did we do that, trying to climb the stairs to enter and falling, while holding onto the door latch however, that incident was an eye opener as to how secure the door was not!

OP
G

Goingcoastal

Jun 13, 2016
West Chester pa
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I have a parodist perch ang going coming in the mail. As said ideally it would have been nicer to have more time ahead of time or maybe a one night trip to start but it is what it is. I would rather have Raymond the green cheek conure with me as a pose to having someone else watch him. He it suprisingly bond with me so I'll just make sure I spread a lot of time with him and don't have the AC on in his room. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thank for the advise!

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Speaking of locks, if yo have a typical RV screen door you know it's always inadvertantly left open. This $8 kit installs in minutes and assures that your screen door will slam closed behind you when you enter or leave. Works great,

Screen Door Closure

Most Reactions

Latest posts