Sad news for Christmas

Northernparrot

Aug 8, 2011
My wife and I went away for Christmas to see her family and left our two green cheek conures with my parents. well on christmas they let the birds out and did not keep a eye on the dog and it got my male GCC. Well now I dont know what to do with my female she seems to be doing ok but not herself. I guess my question is should I look at getting her a new friend, or not. I just dont know what to do.

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
I am soo sorry to hear about this:( thats why i usually dont trust ANYONE with my birds:/ i take my birds with me where ever i go, i dont travel much so its not too bad. as far as getting a new bird im not sure maybe give her a bit more time and if she still doesn't seem like her self maybe if you have friends with birds have them visit and see how she reacts and go from there

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
So sorry to hear that. Adding another one or not depends on how you feel. Just remember to practice quarantine if you do add a new one. Then introduce them slowly after quarantine is over.

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
I'm so sorry to hear this sad story, I usually don't trust anyone with my parrots.

It's good that my cavalier King Charles spaniel doesn't hurt my parrots. If it comes to a fight between Ozzie my alexandrine and Lucky my Cavalier. It's Lucky I'm worrying about since he doesn't fight back. He's a chicken. He is even a bit scared of my cockatiels when they chase after him. Lol :D

But about the new parrot, it really depends on what you want to do. If you choose my opinion, I'll say give the female a little bit of time then see how she goes.

BeakersBro

Dec 27, 2012
Parrots
Beaker: Cape Parrot
So sorry, that must be disastrous on you. I likewise don't trust anyone to watch my parrot (except my old room-mate, who is also a parrot owner herself), but sometimes traveling is unavoidable. I hope you find a way to get over your loss. It is very devastating. As for a new parrot, I am not an expert but you have to introduce them slowly. First just have the two cages in the same room, but opposite sides. (Dont have them out at the same time, and dont let the one you take out, stand ontop the other one's cage). As the days pass, slowly move the cages together, so that they are eventually side by side. Then after a few days of being this close, hopefully they will be used to each other and you can see what happens when you put them both together in some neutral place. Keep in mind that the pre-existing parrot may not consider common things to be "neutral". For example, if you have a tree perch, he may think it's his own territory and he may attack the new bird for being on it --- you might have to get a new tree perch and use that as "neutral territory".

OP
N

Northernparrot

Aug 8, 2011
Thank you all for the advice. I will have to give her a little time and see what she does. I can already tell she wants to be around use a lot more

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
I'm so sorry to hear this. My only recommendation is for you to spend more time than you normally would with her. Good luck.

JasmineGCC

Oct 4, 2012
England
Parrots
Jasmine my pineapple green cheeked conure, hatched 17 April 2012
I am so sorry to hear about your poor bird. Your remaining bird must be heartbroken. I would take it very slowly and not rush out for a replacement - she and you need time to grieve. You may find she becomes much tamer with you going forwards. If you do get a new friend then there is no guarantee they will get on so you'll need two cages at least to start with
Hope this helps

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
So sorry about your loss, I can imagine just how devastated you are.
If I am going away, Mishka would accompany me, not matter what or where we going.
Guess that is why I have not been away since 2000.
So glad you have decided to keep the other bird, she needs you more now than ever, thus not understanding the loss of her mate.

OP
N

Northernparrot

Aug 8, 2011
So its been a few weeks now and my little one is doing ok. she is not plucking which she has in the past. but im still thinking about getting her a friend i feel bad because my wife and I work all day and she is now all alone during the day. A little history about the two birds they where a coworkers of mine and she needed to find them a new home because they where to loud. so I have had them for about 6 months. when we got them they where great no loud at all, nice never have been bit they where about 3 years old. they where together from day one. now that one was killed (the male) my female is much louder then she has been, seems to make almost like crying sounds at night when we put her to bed. its all just really sad.

so here is my question sorry to make this so long. should i get her another GCC or can we get a different type of parrot? what do you guys think I just want the best for my little one, and dont want to get read of her I really love my bird and just want to do what is right.

thanks everyone

NWQuakers

Jan 6, 2013
Everson, WA
Parrots
Lucky, Quaker, abt 18/male?
Previous birds: 2 Quakers, 2 budgies, Nanday conure, Indian ringneck, 2 tiels, Red Lory, 300+ finches.
We're pondering the same question, now that our quaker Mark is gone. We got Lucky 3 years ago, and she had flown into a friend's backyard 3 years before that.

Mark has only been "gone" a day, but the 2 weeks she spent at the vet gave us a preview of how Lucky might react. I think we'll end up with another quaker, but hopefully one that needs rescuing.

I diff species can get along fine, but it really depends on the individual personalities. I would err on the side of caution and get the same if you can, but sometimes life surprises you. Is there a bird shelter/rescue where you can see who needs a home?

Most Reactions