Safe Cleaners

Robin

Apr 26, 2014
Media
Mass.
Parrots
Sun Conure
With new Brax I'm having OCD. Should I make my own cleaners? Going thru the cabinet it seems I need to get rid of Pine Sol and probably windex and anything aerosol? I have a granite cleaner and stainless cleaner. Also, perfume and hairspray? I just ordered a new set of pans since I'm afraid of Teflon. If anyone has any suggestions, or knows about Windex, please share. Sounds like white vinegar and water is best and coconut oil for counter tops? :orange:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Invest in a steam cleaner. Kinda pricey, but they safely clean just about everything in the house! I still use windex on windows/glass personally. I don't use it near Kiwi, but it's not the worst product out there. I also use an all natural wood polish, but again, not near Kiwi. Things that have really strong smells or are really strong chemicals should be avoided.

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
I use Poop Off for Kalypso's cage and if she poops without me noticing and it dries I use the Poop Off to get it off. It works really well butit is a bit pricey. I didnt buy the wipes but a 16 oz bottle of it is 18.99 in the U.S. I got mine from Petsmart.

OP
R

Robin

Apr 26, 2014
Media
Mass.
Parrots
Sun Conure
We did buy this. My concern is cleaning the counters, dusting, floors with regard to aerosols, it says the particles from perfume and other spray bottles can cause respiratory problems along with bounce sheets & febreeze which are all in our house. I'm afraid these products could have led to Robin's infection and death. HOw big are concerns with birds near kitchen? Brax is only 20' out of the kitchen.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I don't mean to be a pest about this, but the better part of the file at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff1rzesec0...tants.doc?dl=0

was written by a bird owner, chemist with at least a masters degree and a long time laboratory manager, who really does have the credentials for what she wrote.....

As to your question about distance from your kitchen, if you have a vent hood that evacuates to the outside, it will remove any possible toxins.....if you don't have a vent hood that evacuates to the outside, you could obtain a fan similar to this: Sears.com

or this: http://www.holmesproducts.com/fans/window-fans/holmes-hawf2021-7-twin-window-fan/HAWF2021.html?gclid=CMSokL2D6MMCFe_m7Aodr2QARw&kwid=productads-plaid^39949031060-sku^HAWF2021-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^45793213330

both of these fan units or similar will evacuate toxins when used in a kitchen window, but don't use them to draw anything toxic across your bird's cage.....

The febreeze concerns have been debunked and the manufacturer has even reworked their formula to make it more animal friendly...as to perfumes, parfums, colognes, deodorants & hair sprays, either apply them in your bathroom or other area that is not near your bird & if your bathroom has a vent fan, use it.....

Good luck again.....

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I'm a human with good, strong lungs and I start choking with my nose/eyes/throat burning at the smell of that fabreeze stuff. What it must do to tiny bird lungs! I would NOT use that kind of thing around a bird, no matter how much the manufacturer (who has a vested interest in selling their product to as many people as possible) would like you to believe it's bee "reformulated" to be "pet friendly". I suppose if you use it in the bathroom, close the door and turn on the fan it probably wouldn't hurt, but I still say that stuff is going to be proven as carcinogenic as smoke sooner or later.

You CAN use home made room sprays that utilize essential oils to 'freshen' your rooms safely. Buy a set of dryer balls (look like spiky rubber tennis balls), and you'll never need dryer sheets again. Fluff, de-static and soften without chemicals. White vinegar will disinfect your counters and theres NOTHING WRONG with a good old fashioned mop and bucket for floors and microfiber dusters work great for dusting (a damp cloth if you have something that's super dusty);)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I'm a human with good, strong lungs and I start choking with my nose/eyes/throat burning at the smell of that fabreeze stuff. What it must do to tiny bird lungs! I would NOT use that kind of thing around a bird, no matter how much the manufacturer (who has a vested interest in selling their product to as many people as possible) would like you to believe it's bee "reformulated" to be "pet friendly". I suppose if you use it in the bathroom, close the door and turn on the fan it probably wouldn't hurt, but I still say that stuff is going to be proven as carcinogenic as smoke sooner or later.

You CAN use home made room sprays that utilize essential oils to 'freshen' your rooms safely. Buy a set of dryer balls (look like spiky rubber tennis balls), and you'll never need dryer sheets again. Fluff, de-static and soften without chemicals. White vinegar will disinfect your counters and theres NOTHING WRONG with a good old fashioned mop and bucket for floors and microfiber dusters work great for dusting (a damp cloth if you have something that's super dusty);)

KB, not trying to start any arguments, but this is the primary basis for my statement concerning Febreeze: Febreze | ASPCA I really don't think they have any vested interest in selling that product to anyone, though maybe it's different in Oregon ? ? ?

As to essential oils, there is room for caution there also as the quality from product to product is subject to question & cannot be assured as to what might be claimed, but I'm not going to start a discussion on that topic on this thread..... :))

Last edited:

Most Reactions