Safe machine to rent and cleaning solution for a carpet cleaner

Birbberry

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel parakeets
Anyone one know anything safe I can full clean my carpet with? My birds going to move in to my house in about 3 days and I wanna make sure the carpet is clean

Last edited:

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I wouldnā€™t use a rental machine as itā€™s likely they were used with cleaning chemicals in the past, so you canā€™t guarantee that itā€™s safe or that trace amounts of the detergent wonā€™t remain in the machine, even if you use something more eco-friendly. I will also add that Iā€™ve never steam-cleaned a carpet before moving in with pets (including birds), but if it would aid in your peace of mind I donā€™t think it will hurt anything.

Your best bet would be to purchase a consumer-level machine (Hoover makes one thatā€™s under $100) and then you can put 1c vinegar to 2c water for synthetic carpets. It will help remove odors, and the vinegar is pet safe and non-toxic. The nice thing about buying the machine is that if your birds poop on the carpet and stain it later, youā€™ll already have a steam vacc on hand to take care of the mess.

These machines do have a heating element for drying the carpet, but I donā€™t think they get hot enough to pose a hazard (many heating elements are coated in toxic substances that offgas at high temperatures). I would definitely research that though or reach out to the manufacturer to be sure the heating element does not include harmful chemicals/does not get hot enough to offgas.

Most Reactions

Latest posts