safe topical ointment for my bird???

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Hi to all: my bird has a black nail on one foot. she holds it up, as it seems to be causing some discomfort. her toe seems to be a bit swollen as well. I'm not sure what happened but I am suspecting she got into a scuffle with my male gouldian.I was wondering if there is a safe topical ointment I can apply to reduce the swelling on her toe, she's a pretty little gouldian, seems fine within her self, eating, poop is fine, flying around and chirping, just her toe is the problem....thanks

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Hate to speculate but she might need vet visit with antobiotics.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
hmmm, I was afraid of that, if it doesn't improve soon I'll take her in.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Neosporin cream. Ointment has oils in it, not good for feathers.

Best ask an a-vet either way. They might be able to suggest/prescribe some meds for pain and swelling.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
ok thanks Monica, if it doesn't get better by Monday, I'll take her to the vets.
strange though, her nail was totally black right to the tip, and now it is changing back to clear again, it was more of the swelling of the toe that I was concerned about. still swollen a bit but not as red
It sounds and looks like it's improving slowly, but to what extent I don't know.

Last edited:

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
When my Hahns injured his toe in the playtop hinge it swelled for a bit, but I knew the source so after a vet visit we left it alone and it resolved itself. However since the source is unknown its better to be safe than sorry.

Most Reactions

Latest posts