Safe Ways to Keep Room Smelling Good?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@BoomBoom In all honesty, I've raised birds since I was 11 years old and have always had some sort of air freshener.

While I don't burn the scented candles or incense when they are around - I do burn it enough during the evening when they are in bed that it lasts for several days. I also still use Febreeze regularly.

Again, not when they are around - but it doesn't really matter when I use it in the evening. I've never had a problem with my birds. I think it's more harmful if they are actually directly exposed to it rather than the scent remnants of a previous use.

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
I do a lot of little things, especially during the winter months when the house doesn't get aired out often.

Like you, vinegar is my main cleaning agent.

For big non carpeted floors I will mop using hot water and little dr bronners. Usually peppermint, but I like lavender sometimes too. Makes a nice light scent, and really cleans well.

extra throw rugs, curtains, blankets, bedding, towels ect can be stored with little bags of good smelling herbs. lavender, cinnamon, vanilla bean, roses, whatever smells nice to you. Then when you take them out they smell really good, but because it's just the natural herb it's not over powering.

Same goes for your clothing, little bags of herbs make your clothes smell good, but not over powering like wearing perfume.

I also make a habit of putting a pinch of cinnamon or vanilla bean in my coffee pot when I make coffee. Smells and tastes good.

If your bird is locked out of the kitchen you can also simmer some herbs or orange rind for a nice fresh smell through out the house.

Something easy to grow outside is lemon balm. Smells really nice and grows just about anywhere. Just keep it away from your tender plants cause it can get very weedy fast.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I use essential oils on occasion, either a bit added to my vinegar spray or over an oil warmer and I've never had any problems. I only use natural scents, my favorite being rosemary and mint, I have a eucalyptus mint one too.

Orange or lemon oils added to my vinegar spray, and you can grow mint very easily, it's another one that's like a weed.

Although candles are somewhat controvercial, being dangerous or not, you can make your own pretty easy and cheaply with beeswax and some essential oils. You could try a diffuser too.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Stop eating all those beans?! :D

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Can't fight nature! Haha just kidding.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's the smell of vinegar that used to drive me bonkers but I got used to it and really, the smell went away when it dried. Now it's the smell of my 2 parakeets that bothers me a little. I clean their cage 100% daily and they're on a good diet of seeds and veggies. They just have this rooster smell. My uncles used to own roosters and chickens, it's the closest I could describe it. I love the little guys though, they're so nice and calm, the opposite of Boomer.

I like the idea of growing a mint plant! That seems to be the effortless solution I was looking for. I didn't know the plant itself would give off a minty scent. Duh go figure!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts