Saki the blue dutch

ladymorraine

Sep 24, 2010
Eastern Panhandle WV
Ok we brought home our lovebird. We are not sure if she's a boy or girl, but the lady said she is a girl. So far we have named her Saki, and played with her each day. We have also taken turns holding her. My son is sitting with ne telling me what to type.

Saki is blue and her beak still has black on it. Her head is all gray, but the lady said that it should turn white. We will take pictures as soon as we can.

Saki loves her mirror and her ladder.We need to buy a new swing or make on. Cause the one she has is too small. Our cage she has figured out how to excape. Our cats think she is a snack (really working to change that. Wish us luck. Any advise would be appreciated on that.) SHe loves the dog, and hiding in peoples hair. I don't have enough hair but the kids do.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
She sounds beautiful! Step one would be to deal with the potentially lethal combo of escaped bird and hungry cat. The smaller the bird the more likely the cat will instinctively see it as prey or toy. Is the cage in need of some strategically located door clamps? I' d make a secure cage my main mission right now!

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Wow! Houdini bird! In meanwhile keep cage and cat apart obviously. I do have two cats who do not see my conures as prey and accept them as they have all the other household inhabitants but it is unwise to trust that familiarity and training will trump an instinctive reaction when push comes to. shove. And Jolte (one if our cats) will stalk similarly sized birds outside in the yard if given the chance. So safety needs to be your first priority. And if she is slipping through the bars she could get caught and panic.Sorry!!!

OP
L

ladymorraine

Sep 24, 2010
Eastern Panhandle WV
Well Next pay check I get to buy Chicken wire to go with the cage. It's cheaper than a new cage. I already spent my money this month. I got ;lots of fun toys, a cage, Saki, dishes, etc... So guess I will have to improvise for a couple of weeks.

Well Saki is better than we thought at escaping. She is getting outwith a blanket covering the cage too. We cover her at night. Plus she refuses to nap all day. I thought as a baby she needed more sleep. So Today while browsing threads, I saw about a teddy. We now have a fuzzy puppy her company. LOL and a towel. Pics will come soon. Have to get a phone and send them to my e-mail. LOL.

2Birds3Kids

Sep 14, 2010
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Male Vos Eclectus
Female Vos Eclectus
Male Cockatiel Pied Cinnamon
Female Cockatiel
I decided not to put mirrors in my birds cages since I read they can possibly bond with their own image or possibly look at their reflection as potential mate and eventually become hormonal. ~Page

OP
L

ladymorraine

Sep 24, 2010
Eastern Panhandle WV
I decided not to put mirrors in my birds cages since I read they can possibly bond with their own image or possibly look at their reflection as potential mate and eventually become hormonal. ~Page

Thank you. I will keep that in mind. She was raised with a sibling. So I think she is lonely. I will try and remove the mirror after a little while.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
and non FIDS:
I wondered about chicken wire. That is good to know. I think your Houdini bird needs a safe cage asap
Can you possibly borrow one for a bit. Even too small would be better for now than barrier free!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
In my past life I had a parakeet and a cat. One day I came home from work the cat managed to get cage open and all that was left were 2 feet. I will never forget that lesson. So now I have a cat and a TAG. Never do I leave the bird out without me supervising.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
Yipppeeeee, another back masked lovie!!!! I wouldnt advise mirrors as my lovie goes mad when she sees one then I struggle to calm her down!!! If your thinking of getting a cage get one that is longer than higher as they like to "fly" from perch to perch. You must get her a snuggle tent - they love to climb into dark warm places. Rosie even takes her food in there and has a presleep snack. Im so excited for you - this is awesome!!!! Where is your lovie getting out of the cage?? If you cant get another cage asap use cable ties - they work well!!!! :) :)

OP
L

ladymorraine

Sep 24, 2010
Eastern Panhandle WV
Ok np. No chicken wire. Yeah saki aka houdini is driving me nuts. The cat almost had her today. Gonna try zip ties. We have large ones. And I saw a few cages at the ladies where I got her with toys zipped to the side. She is starting to get a little hand shy today.. Not sure why she was great Sat. through yesterday. Could just be change is sinking in. I think that she is getting used to being here. She prefers the rooms upstairs. But she is getting used to the downstairs too.

Maybe after her escaped with the cats she won't try to get out when I have her in her cage. Then she will have the benefit of the long cage.

I was told she is a Dutch blue, but she has a gray head. The lady said it would turn white. Hoping on pics tomorrow, or the day after. Started packing the house up. We are going through the shed 1/2done today,and now oh my back my poor poor back... I feel like I'm 120. No upper body strength, means I'm sore. I need to get in shape. LOL Any way have a great night all. I'll checkin herein the morning.

OP
L

ladymorraine

Sep 24, 2010
Eastern Panhandle WV
Ok question... Saki will not eat any fruits, veggies, or eggs. Only her pellets. Or seeds. I have tried eating them in front of her, Apples, cantalope, honey dew, grapes. Carrots, romaine lettuce, green beans. She is still being hand shy since the cat incident. But when I sit next to cage she seems to be very friendly. Chirping and singing. Playing and ruffling her feathers. Had a lady offer to trade me cages. With a little extra money. So I will be getting that on Thursday. The egg just sat there and nothing.

On a side note. The cat has got to go. She is peeing in our clean laundry. She was a rescue adn only wants to be outside. But where we live is not safe. So when she does not get wheat she wants she is peeing everywhere. Plants, laundry... I have tried everyting to get her to stop adn it's only getting worse. She is my nine year old neices cat. When Nina goes to school Raine pees in her bed, or her clothes, or poops in her room. Or she find my sock basket, clean laundry I bring upstairs and fold and goes on it. I can't re-wash much more. I am running out of money for the e water bill. One month is over $100.00 when I have to redo laundry this much. Plus electric is allghany power and they are the worst group. Huge company with high prices...

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
If she is a baby blue with geyisg cheeks and a pale peach colour across top of beak she isca Dutch blue if she is bright blue with a black head and a white ring around the eye she is a blue masked

If she is being hand shy just slow down withyour progress
shut her away ( well atleast try lol ) sit and read with her and give her treats
if she will take them from your hand you can even try pitting your hand in thru the food doors or main door and giving her treats that way until she calms down and is less nervous of your hands

Also try clipping her wings if she is not already as it makes them more dependant in you and helps with the bonding issue

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
In my past life I had a parakeet and a cat. One day I came home from work the cat managed to get cage open and all that was left were 2 feet. I will never forget that lesson. So now I have a cat and a TAG. Never do I leave the bird out without me supervising.

Good idea SB, I'd hate to see you come home now and find just four furry legs, all joking aside tho, I remember as a child being traumatized in much the same way, only with two cats and two parakeets, same results tho.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Hi LM, I posted about veg/fruit on the thread about fruit/veg - lol. It worked for Rosie - keep trying and maybe try one fruit/veg at a time to see if she eats it and what she likes. I also found that if I gave her fruit and veg at different times she liked it and I could see what she liked. Check out the other thread - patience..hate that word - lol!!!

I am still on the lookout for the right cage. Would love to see a pic of yours when you get it :) The cat could be playing a huge role in her being shy and she may be cautious - not an expert on that but just trying to help you think of reasons why she may be nervous.

OP
L

ladymorraine

Sep 24, 2010
Eastern Panhandle WV
I am getting my cage tomorrow. A lady is trading me for the one I have. She sells cages. It's perfect. She is getting out of breeding so everything will be perfect. Yay lucky me. I found her on craigslist.

Saki is really skittish when the kids are around. My son wants to hold her but she flips. I think it is the cats driving her to be more caustious So I am trying to work with her during the day. She stepped up yesterday and Walked my arms and head. Then she fluttered to her cage and walked right in. I put the cats in the bathroom while she was out... She is getting out more and more. She likes to sit and yell at us while sitting on top her cage. My nephew said he;ll take pics with his phone tomorrow when I get the other cage adn e-mail them to me. LOL My phone sucks... A lot... :(

On a side note we are down to no gerbils. The cats opened the door. It was locked... And now JuJu is no more. So I told my son no more gerbils or mice or rats. We are going for a snake or bird he said. I told him it would be a little while adn he is ok wityh that.

Wish me luck I am starting to pack for my move in Feb. Yay. I hate packing but I hate moving more. Hopefully my mom is still gonna buy me a trailer to rent for the next several years of college. I start college this month too. The 25th. Just got all my books ordered adn everything. I can't wait. But Have to go and take these rugrats to school.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Wow - your really busy!!!! Good luck with the move and packing - I also hate the whole process and will be moving at the end of the year. I CANT wait to see your new cage. Im still looking around for the one I want. For the meantime, Rosie is enjoying being out as much as possible :)

Just a thought, maybe you should try being the only one to handle Saki until he has settled and is calm and confident about being around you and out of the cage. Once he is settled then your son can handle him. You will start seeing that saki no longer flattens his feathers against his body and will play and clean himself without showing signs of fear.

OP
L

ladymorraine

Sep 24, 2010
Eastern Panhandle WV
I am definately trying that. but I do have my son his name is Charlie sit by Sakis Cage adn talk to her. We even had the door open yesterday adn she came to the enterence to yell at us. Turned around and went to the back. It was so cute. So cage is coming today. Yay no more zip tied POS. (Since cussing is prohibited, I used my way of cussing. LOL My kids know what this means.)

I'll work with her as slowly as possible. Hopefully the new cage will make it better. Since she is still getting out of this one. I even zip tied all the bars to there is no room. She wriggles through. God we should have named her houdini. Tslk to ya'll later.

Most Reactions

Latest posts