Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So tonite we started color training, Salty and i. I got a set of brightly colored keys, baby teething toys actually. Salty has been playing with them a few days, so he was not frightened or scared of them. I selected the 3 primary color ones, red, yellow and blue. We did a few other tricks first. Then I placed them on his training area, about a foot apart. I picked each one up , held it up to him and named them a few times. And then I asked for the RED key, and I'll be damned if he didn't go to the red key and pick it up. We worked for 5 min on this and he got the colors right about 30% of the time. Not bad for a first timer! We'll work on this more in the coming days, but I was pretty impressed. He is such a smart little bird. I bet he will start to say the colors eventually, he says some of the other tricks he does (circle, shake hands).

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
And, in a few months you will have a Bumper Sticker that says something like: My Parrot is Smarter than Your Honor Student!

Time to lighten up on the training when he elects to do your taxes!

Amazon's Have More Fun!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sorry if I seem like I am bragging too much about Salty. He just impresses me so much.
Hows this - I will post when he does something really stupid or bad, just to counter weight things.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Are you kidding? This is what a loving and proud parront sounds like! And fear not, we love hearing about Salty's achievements! Keep 'em coming!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Sorry if I seem like I am bragging too much about Salty. He just impresses me so much.
Hows this - I will post when he does something really stupid or bad, just to counter weight things.

Absolutely not necessary but if its funny yes please. Clever boy Salty, way to go! :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
WOW, what awesome progress, Al, and fairly quickly, too! :D

And, in a few months you will have a Bumper Sticker that says something like: My Parrot is Smarter than Your Honor Student!

Time to lighten up on the training when he elects to do your taxes!

Amazon's Have More Fun!

HA! I have such a bumper sticker, except mine says:

My American Bulldog is smarter than your Honor Student.

...and I display it quite proudly. :09:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

ABSOLUTELY NOT, Al!!! I (WE) love hearing about Salty!!!!! You are never bragging. It's obvious how much you love your guy, and it shouldn't be any other way. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts