sandpaper perch/covers or not

lucysmom

Jun 24, 2015
hannibal ny
Parrots
one budgie about 4 months. her name is lucy
i need advice on this subject. i have just bought perch covers for lucys nails but again some sites say they are good others say not good hurts their feet . i have a cover on one perch only.

update i just took the sandpaper cover off the perch a i just noticed orange/red spot on the cover and afraid its blood and lucy is holding one leg up every so often, but she is being her normal silly self payin with her toys and me.

Last edited:

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
One perch is ok, like where she eats, but not on her main perch where she likes to relax. They are so abrasive and can cause sores on her lil feet.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Don't use sandpaper covers. Buy yourself a concrete perch sized for your bird. It works very well, usually placed by the food dish is a good spot!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I agree not to get the covers, get a pedicure perch instead (they cost more, but will last for years). One perch is fine, so long as it isn't in your birds preferred sleep rest spot. Most birds pick up pretty quickly what those perches do and will seek them out when they want to be on them. Mine likes to go on his after a meal and wipe his beak (which keeps him beak and talons nice:) though it makes the perch kind of nasty and requires weekly cleaning). That spot you see might be food. Birds are smart creatures, they know how to utilize a tool when they're given one!

OP
lucysmom

lucysmom

Jun 24, 2015
hannibal ny
Parrots
one budgie about 4 months. her name is lucy
good morning and thank you for all the advice i took it off and it could just be food as she was a little piggy yesterday with her treats. i will get her a block asap.

Most Reactions