Sassy Update (bonding, flying, perches)

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
SassyByrd has had quite the adventurous summer and it looks like winter is off to quite the start as well! For those of you unaware, this summer we have dealt with A) SassyByrd bonding with hubby and rejecting me :eek: B) SassyByrd just starting to learn to fly C) Funky black sores on end of toes and D) SassyByrd flew out a window and was on the lam for over an hour!

Like with so many things in life, slow and steady seems to be the way to SassyByrds heart. She has never gone into "dislike" mode with me, but it became obvious that hubby was her main squeeze. Since hubby could care less, I was a little dismayed but decided to tighten my belt and keep on the straight and narrow. All treats, food and 95% of the attention comes from me. Finally, 2 weeks ago for the first time in over two years SassyByrd lowered her head and invited me to give scritches. To say I was thrilled is an understatement. So first thing every morning, and then again at bedtime, we have mommy and me time and most nights Sass now invites me to preen her. Hubby won't touch her pokey feathers and I can sit there and pick off casings all day so Sass has really learned to love this. I would say our entire relationship has greatly improved in all areas!

Flying lessons are coming along. We rarely run headlong into walls anymore. Steering and landings are greatly improved. Planned flights are now occuring which has me sooooo thrilled because now I can start working on recall and t such. Just in case houdini ever finds an open window again. God forbid. Anyhow, now I can stand 6 feet or so from a landing spot and gently "launch" her towards the target and she is able to make a smooth landing. 99% of the time. If anyone had ever told me how HARD it is to teach a bird to fly I would have scoffed at them. I would imagine it's going to take years to get her to her optimal flight capacity. Oh well, it gives us a goal to work towards together.

I feel beyond stupid about her black sores. I finally figured out that she needs a much larger variety of perches as far as diameter. So we got her platform perches and varying diameter up to 2". After 3 days of her new perch setup the black spots went away and stayed away. Lesson learned.

Otherwise she is doing great. She is working hard at becoming ever more intertwined with our family and we just couldn't imagine life without her!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Mark this Thread for you to come back to in an additional three years! You will be humbly shock at how much farther she has come on the overall and the joy of the relationship.

Amazons are a true joy that we never truly realize until we stop and take stock of just where they have lead us and how much they have taught us.

Enjoy the travel, after all, Amazon's Have More Fun (messing with our minds)!

Most Reactions